Anorexia? Binge eating? Help!

Options
To be honest I'm not entirely sure if this is the right thread to be posting the topic in question , but it'll have to do.

I was diagnosed in 2014 with AN. Weight restored this time last year (bmi 18.5) all was fine and dandy until about October of last year where I gained to a bmi of 21 - still healthy I know, this isn't the issue.
Well since Christmas 2015 I have been binging like a mad woman, I have no idea how much weight I've gained because I'm terrified to weigh myself but I MUST be in the range of 20-25 lbs. I am now 'fat' and have no idea how to stop the binges, to be honest I'm not here to plead by asking how to lose weight because that's silly, I just need advice on how to stop the binges. I've read self help blogs, which ask you to identify the reasons for your binges, but upon seeking the route of the problem I'm yet to find the reason, I don't think there are any, it's mindless and I feel like I've gone from one disorder to another.

Thank you for your time :-) Megan

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Standard procedure would be to talk to your treatment team, but I have found some resources on the net useful, for instance:
    http://www.eatlikeanormalperson.com/how-to-eat-like-a-normal-person/
  • Florameg456
    Florameg456 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Standard procedure would be to talk to your treatment team, but I have found some resources on the net useful, for instance:

Thank you, I'll have a read now :-) that's good advice, and I would but I've been discharged for quite a while now, and I don't plan to return to therapy (let's say my experience was less than fun)
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Hello, I started a group for people with Binge Eating Disorder. I have B.E.D so please feel free to add me or look at the post one the group site.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/112095-binge-eating-disorder
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I went to treatment for bulimia a few years back and weighed 30 pounds lighter than I am today. I remember there were not only women who were skeletal being in that program but a few overweight women, too! I remember that surprising me. They had struggled with anorexia and then the polar opposite, binge eating. I would seek some treatment or therapy for binge eating or even join Weight Watchers. They focus a lot on normal eating, what's a healthy portion. Getting the mind straightened out is the most important thing here though.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options

Thank you, I'll have a read now :-) that's good advice, and I would but I've been discharged for quite a while now, and I don't plan to return to therapy (let's say my experience was less than fun)
    Don't go back to the same group, find someone else. It's like other mental therapy, sometimes you have to 'shop around' to find someone you find comfortable with both in terms of you feel like they're giving you quality care, and also that they'e paying attention to YOU and YOUR needs. If anything, see if there are any over the phone places you can call for help, even if it's just to talk to someone when you're having a problem with binging.
    Best of luck to you and your future. :smile:
  • samwiserabbit
    samwiserabbit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hey Megan, I don't really know what to say but I wanted to just let you know that I went through a similar ordeal and I remember it being awful, like I didn't have control over my own actions, and I felt HUGE after having been so (dangerously) thin for so long and just mad at myself for losing the "control" I'd been so proud of. Besides time and deeper emotional healing and painstakingly resetting the way I thought about food and myself I do remember one thing that could help me snap out of a binge, sometimes. I'd feed the dog, or the birds. One time I threw a whole birthday cake off a cliff. (admittedly that last one was partly for more complicated reasons.) When that mindless action of hand to mouth felt like someone else had remote control of my body, I could divert it just a little, and get past the worst of it. Obviously, feeding the dog frosted flakes isn't a solution, certainly not long term. But for getting past that moment of intense need, it helped me. Also, I'm not a professional and I never got professional help. This was my experience and it's not advice, just a story. I mostly wanted you to know you're not alone.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Therapy and treatment isn't supposed to be fun.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Therapy, please. In the interim, keep a log (one you can keep in your bag, not mfp) where you can jot down the times of your meals, what you ate, and how you were feeling before, during, and after the meal, any stressors or events that may have preceded the meal. Don't get bogged down by calories. Maybe this can help you locate the source?

But therapy, therapy, therapy. Please.
  • MelissaInness81
    MelissaInness81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will be of any help to you, but there are two eating disorder apps, record recovery and rise up on the Android app store. They allow you to log your meals and your feelings around that particular mealtime including any associated behaviours. They don't have a calorie counter on them either but encourage regular mealtimes so that the body can establish a routine again. You can then see if there is a particular pattern occurring.