Full-time working single mom who could use some motivation to loose 100 lbs

Options
Hello I'm Sarah, it can be real hard being a full time working single parent trying to find the time and motivation to get fit especially when you have never been. Really looking to loose 100lbs ove the year and with a small child it just seams impossible to keep to a diet or a workout schedule so I'm looking for some motivational buddies feel free to add me .

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Planning out meals could help both of you. Keep foods simple and fast. Stir fry cooks up quickly and is inexpensive if you use frozen vegetable or cabbage (17 cents a pound this week). Children also like the bite size pieces. Also investing in a timed cooker can have dinner ready as you walk in the door. It is much healthier than picking up take out. - When my children were small they were my workout. Running around outside and at the park or just dancing to Sesame Street music or cleaning up after them.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Weight loss will happen by eating fewer calories than you burn. Use MFP's calculations, they're pretty accurate - at least as a good starting point. You don't "have" to exercise to lose weight, but of course exercising burns calories which means you can eat a bit more or that you'll lose a bit faster. And fitness is a great goal! Just don't get too discouraged if you can't squeeze in much of an exercise routine, concentrate on calories and you will lose weight.

You're at somewhat of an advantage being a single parent, because that means you're the only one who's buying food in your house. Avoid temptation by not buying foods that don't fit your eating plan. A lot of people fall into the "trap" of thinking they need to provide junk food snacks for their children. You don't. Have plenty of healthy snacks for both of you, and don't bring the garbage into your home. The added benefit is that you're teaching your child to eat appropriately, by example.

When you take time to cook, cook extra. Eat some, keep some for tomorrow, and freeze some. Over time you'll wind up with a freezer that has lots of homemade healthy choices so you can grab a very quick meal instead of take-out. Cooking once means you only have to clean the pans once - so it's a time-saver, too.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm Sarah, it can be real hard being a full time working single parent trying to find the time and motivation to get fit especially when you have never been. Really looking to loose 100lbs ove the year and with a small child it just seams impossible to keep to a diet or a workout schedule so I'm looking for some motivational buddies feel free to add me .

@nylaannhannah11 it is really hard for most of us. In fact I did not stop dieting until I was 63 to lose weight. My motivation was to slow my rate of rushing to my death to be blunt.

You must be young so time is on your side. Keep looking for internal motivation. It was to be a good example to my teenage kids in part in my case.

Welcome to MFP forums.
  • chloeleaaetoa
    chloeleaaetoa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Planning out meals could help both of you. Keep foods simple and fast. Stir fry cooks up quickly and is inexpensive if you use frozen vegetable or cabbage (17 cents a pound this week). Children also like the bite size pieces. Also investing in a timed cooker can have dinner ready as you walk in the door. It is much healthier than picking up take out. - When my children were small they were my workout. Running around outside and at the park or just dancing to Sesame Street music or cleaning up after them.

I think this is so true, I've added meal prepping as it the best thing you do to help yourself throughout the week. I am a full time working mother of three, husband works long hours so it's just me with the kids. Meal prepping dinner and lunch has helped me gain order in my life. It takes 3.30 hours to cook and clean everything up for me. I make myself exercise at lease 5 days a week. (Ideally everyday would be nice) This flexibility keeps me on track and it gives me some lead way when my schedule is too hectic to hit the gym.

Add me!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I agree with the slow cooker suggestion. Such a time saver. Also planning out your meals is very helpful.
    Get your kiddos involved in your journey without them knowing it. Take them outside for walks, play in puddles, kick a ball around, etc. Kids also love to help in the kitchen with age-appropriate tasks such as measuring, weighing ingredients, mixing, etc. This also sets them up for a healthy lifestyle themselves. Have chats with them about healthy choices, both food and activity.
    As for exercise, you don't need to do anything fancy or overly time consuming. There are a lot of great Youtube videos out there. Do some searching and find what you like to do. Your kids might even enjoy joining you!
  • fatmanthinuk
    fatmanthinuk Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just started on Monday for the second time around :neutral:my goal is to lose 100lbs for November this year after putting it all back on and more in the last 2 years.

Happy to share support and motivation for anyone who would like to add me. I'm UK based in West Yorkshire

Cheers

Andy W
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Just started on Monday for the second time around :neutral:my goal is to lose 100lbs for November this year after putting it all back on and more in the last 2 years.

Happy to share support and motivation for anyone who would like to add me. I'm UK based in West Yorkshire

Cheers

Andy W

There are about 35 weeks until the middle of November. Even at a steady loss of 2 lbs/week (which is a LOT, and weight loss isn't linear....) meeting a goal of losing 70 lbs in 8 months would be extremely difficult. I don't want to sound discouraging, but having an unrealistic goal is setting yourself up for failure, IMO.

A goal of 35-52 lbs by the middle of November is much more realistic.
  • debmom2boyz
    debmom2boyz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Add me Mama!
    I am a single parent and I work a demanding full time job.

I need 100 gone!
  • eddiek10
    eddiek10 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    100 pounds is a lot. But you can certainly lose a lot of weight!!! The key is MEAL PREP! you have to have to have to have to prepare your meals in advance. If you go out make smart choices when ordering. I would advice start with 2 or 3 bad meals a week, and slowly get rid of one. The reason being so you won't have a relapse and give up. Feel free to add me and you'll be able to see my meal preps. Feel free to message or ask me anything. I'm here to lose 80 pounds. And I am working hard.
  • Gina848810
    Gina848810 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Add me! Mom of 2 and weight for me has always been a battle. We got this!