Should I buy Fitbit

Options
Hi,
its 20 days since i started my program and I am loosing weight at 1 kg per week. after week 1 I have started walking a log. I use mainly my iphone app to log my steps walked. Earlier I used to walk on an avg. 3000 steps a day. But now since last week I have made it a point to walk atleast 10000 steps a day which I am doing quite easily now. I want to introduce this target to 20000 soon.

I have been wondering is it worth it to buy fitbit device, as I am already logging my steps on my iphone5s regularly. What does other fitbit users have to say who also own an iphone. Does it makes a difference. I plan to buy fitbit one.

Replies

• elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I've posted a similar post this morning As I want to get a tracker but I've seen for years so many people saying Fitbit isn't accurate on calorie burn ... Argh.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You can get a pedometer without getting a "Fitbit", whether you mean that brand specifically or an activity tracker in general. The advantage to a pedometer or activity tracker is that you don't have to have your phone on you every single moment to count all your steps throughout the day. The advantage of an activity tracker over a pedometer is you will get more data or features than with a regular pedometer. Only you know if it is worth it (financially, etc), though.
  • willworkoutforwine
    willworkoutforwine Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm also considering a Fitbit but wondering what the benefits are beyond counting steps. If Fitbit doesn't accurately track calories burned, is there something out there that is better?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm also considering a Fitbit but wondering what the benefits are beyond counting steps. If Fitbit doesn't accurately track calories burned, is there something out there that is better?

Take a look in the FitBit group to get a better feel: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

But it really comes down to: "what is your favorite form of exercise?"

FitBits are fancy pedometers.....so they are pretty good at step based things.

A heart rate monitor is designed for steady state cardio....so if you are into cycling (not step based, really) then a HRM is better than FitBit

If you want calorie burn for strength training, NOTHING is going to be accurate for that.
  • swheeler0602
    swheeler0602 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    hazleyes81 wrote: »
    You can get a pedometer without getting a "Fitbit", whether you mean that brand specifically or an activity tracker in general. The advantage to a pedometer or activity tracker is that you don't have to have your phone on you every single moment to count all your steps throughout the day. The advantage of an activity tracker over a pedometer is you will get more data or features than with a regular pedometer. Only you know if it is worth it (financially, etc), though.

I used to use my pedometer because we did activity challenges at work based on # of steps. It was a lot of fun. We found that the most effective way to use the pedometer is to put it on your shoe itself, not your hip like most people do. You can find ones with a normal clip and clip it in between your shoe laces. After a day or two you don't notice it. I would suggest paying $15-$20 for a pedometer. That price range will usually find you a good one without paying a lot of money for it.

I now use my iphone 5s because I always have my phone on me and my Health app is synced with my MFP but either way I think both of these options are best if you are only concerned about your # of steps. There are other benefits to the fitbits it just depends on what you are wanting it for.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    There are so many gadgets and apps out there that track movement. Nothing is 100% accurate at calories burned or steps walked. Honestly if I had an extra $100 or more, I would use that money for a few personal training sessions. If you're a walker, the old school $10 pedometer is a good way to track steps. Many different apps as well. It comes down to what will make you move more. Because you still have to do the work..the fitbit just tracks it.
  • happy4252010
    happy4252010 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer my fitbit vs my iphone 6. I strap my fit bit around my ankle with the help of some ribbon and away I go. It counts all my steps regardless of whether I have my phone with me. I wear it on my wrist at night and it does a "FAIR' job of tracking my sleep pattern. And I love the fact that it has a soft vibrating alarm to wake me each morning. But it is truly a matter of personal preference. I am now up to 20-25k steps daily. It alerts me when I have reached my daily 10k goal. And if you have friends with fitbits, you are apply to challenge each other with various types of challenges. For me, that part is a great motivational tool. I am currently in a work week challenge with me daughter and since Monday morning I have over 142k steps in. I found my fitbit charge (mine is not the charge hr) on sale for $80.00. The benefits for me were worth it.
    Let me know what you decide.
    And good luck to you no matter which route you take.
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit charge HR and I love it I finally linked it to MFP so it tells me how many calories I burn throughout the day and not just for a specific workout. I have had it since Jan 26th and I have lost 8lbs
  • robsgurl
    robsgurl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of saving up for a fitbit charge HR. I started to use a pedometer and I put on the waist of my pants but the only issue I have with that is when it gets bumped or anything it registers that as a step so it ends up being off some. I know some people who have the fitbit charge HR and they love it.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I used a Fitbit with my iPhones for about 3 years. I gave up on Fitbit after my frustrating experience with their new Blaze. I got the Apple Watch 6 days ago to use with my iPhone 6S and I LOVE it! It makes the iPhones built in Health app much for functional. Also, I'm finding out the more that I use my Apple Watch to monitor my activities and step count the more accurate it has become for me over any Fitbit that I've used in the past 3 years. That said, everyone's needs are different and a Fitbit is certainly not a bad starter fitness tracker.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Fitbit keeps you motivated, or at least that's how I feel. But my Fitbit Charge fell apart so I am getting the new model coming out due to the fact that the Charge has/had a design flaw that makes it come apart easily.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I love using my Fitbit Charge HR. I started with a used Charge off eBay for $80 a year ago, and upgraded to the HR back in November.

It not just a pedometer. It estimates your caloric burn/day, your distance traveled, the flights of stairs you've climbed, and has vibrating wake-up alarms you can program. The HR will give you your current heart rate as well. All this syncs up to your phone, and it can also notify you of an incoming call, too. It's an amazing tool to gauge your progress, and definitely keeps you motivated. Their app is fantastic as well!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I have an UP3 (Jawbone). I use it for steps and sleep tracking, but ignore the calorie counts. I use a Garmin watch with GPS and an actual chest strap HRM for when I am running because I want that to be accurate.

I think they can be useful as motivators and for keeping track of trends. But someone posted this in the other thread and I thought it was interesting...
    http://www.wthr.com/story/31285468/sometimes-your-fitness-tracker-lies-a-lot-fitbit-jawbone-garmin-ifit-misfit-accuracy

Basically, all the trackers are decent at steps, a little less so but still good at distances, and bad at calories and heart rate (because they all use wrist devices).
  • Anabug81
    Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit Charge HR! It is addicting. I am constantly looking at it to see how many steps and calories I have burned throughout the day.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Have one on loan at the moment to see if I want one. I don't. My day and exercise aren't based around steps so it is a waste of time for me.

If I decide I want to go for a fast paced walk for exercise I will just clip on an old fashioned pedometer that will give me the results for that particular event.

Walking in place as I wash the dished or watch TV,to hit an arbitrary number, just isn't my cup of tea.

If you think it will make you move more, go for it.

Cheers, h.
  • NicoleAllissa
    NicoleAllissa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love my FitBit probably more than my phone even though the two work together. I have had fit bit hr for 5 months & I can't imagine life with out it. Fit bit hr tracks your heart rate, sleep (including amount of times you are restless) calories in/calories out & you have the option to add additional activities as well. The reason I love it so much is because it reminds you if how great your doing or what u need to improve on.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Use an existing pedometer when I want steps-its quite good with extra features like distance. When I want HR I use my existing Bowflex HRM that also gives calories, fat burned and other features. Already got it figured out whether I had a good nights sleep or not and don't care if it syncs with anything. Go economical until you figure out what is important to you, not what looks cool on your wrist.
  • fitelles
    fitelles Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I bought the garmin vivosmart HR chosen mainly for its recommendation via a friend and the fact you can swim with it to 5atm

It has date and time, steps, stairs climbed & descended,intensive exercise per week, calories burned, the app gives calorie breakdown too so passive burn and active and adds to your total for the day, or deficit, miles done, controls for music on your phone, weather, texts come through to it, heart rate including av resting. Waterproof to 50m. Reminds you to move when you've been inactive for a while. Notifies when goals are reached. Links with other apps, inc MFP

Downside, it's just not that pretty, but I decided to chose performance first.

So far so good, easy to use!
  • ajaysharma316
    ajaysharma316 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi
    thanks everybody for all your help and input. I think for now I will stick to my iphone 5s step counter as I do have a habit of always keeping my phone in my pocket, even in house. So I guess than I should first get in routine for couple of months and concentrate on increasing my steps. I do have downloaded the fitbit app though which works great with Iphone 5s also without any of there advice. thanks agian.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    How can the fitbit app work without the device?