Still not losing

Options
Hello all
I'm 5 ft 2 , walk 6000 steps a day , try and do 3 exercise classes a day .
At the moment my daily calories is set at 1400 which is recommended for me to lose 0.5lb a week if I led an inactive life .
I have been doing this since new year and I am currently not losing weight .
I am reluctant to reduce my calories anymore as I suffer with migraine when I'm hungry .
Any advise on what could be going on and how to improve my results would be great .
Thank you :-)

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, but many times when people aren't losing when they think they should be, it comes down to a logging issue. If you open your diary, someone may be able to help.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    How long have been stuck? since the first of the year? need your stats: weight age
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    You say you are currently not losing weight. For how long have you not been losing weight? Have you lost any weight since you started? At what weight did you start and what is your weight now? If you opened your diary to the public it would be very helpful to give better advice.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ejyq4nltcafg.jpg
    1.jpg 135.4K
  • queenliz99
    Options
    @callsitlikeiseeit Careful now ;)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    @queenliz99 i don't know what youre talking about :P

• philskee
    philskee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    you should never feel hungry. you should be drinking plenty of water and snacking on things that are high in dietary fiber and fiber. Nuts are really good and snacking on fruit and veggies. everything is done in moderation but looking for products that are high in mono and polyunsaturated fats is really good also. if your metabolism is not staying up the weight loss will stop. If you are starving your body it will hold onto what it has. A whole body detox could help restart the weight loss also.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    philskee wrote: »
    you should never feel hungry. you should be drinking plenty of water and snacking on things that are high in dietary fiber and fiber. Nuts are really good and snacking on fruit and veggies. everything is done in moderation but looking for products that are high in mono and polyunsaturated fats is really good also. if your metabolism is not staying up the weight loss will stop. If you are starving your body it will hold onto what it has. A whole body detox could help restart the weight loss also.

Wow!! Not this OP!!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

It's okay to feel hungry sometimes.

Your metabolism is working all the time, unless you're dead.

Starving your body is a bad idea for your health and wellbeing, but it will not stop weigh tloss.

A "whole body detox" is junk.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so since you last saw a drop on the scale, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off and even some of the verified entries with green checkmarks are wrong. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

Yeah but. ....NONONONONO......
  • missyfitz1
    missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options

I've never been able to lose weight without being hungry sometimes. You shouldn't be famished or dizzy, or constantly hungry, but if I'm giving myself a caloric deficit, I will be hungry at times.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Is your diet high in sodium? If it is, you will hold onto water.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options

Please do more research, I mean this only in a kind way to help you as well with your journey. The issue with metabolism and holding onto what it has isn't true. Detox's as well are not necessary to start, restart, or continue weight loss.
  • Seffell
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @missyfitz1 I never go hungry. I have serious stomach issues and can't afford to be hungry ever. I do sometimes have cravings rarely (like I crave chocolate or cream or stuff like this) but I'm never hungry. I eat large volumes of (low calorie) food and make sure I'm full all the time until I fall asleep. I'm on ~1250cal/day and have been for 6 weeks.
  • missyfitz1
    missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    @missyfitz1 I never go hungry. I have serious stomach issues and can't afford to be hungry ever. I do sometimes have cravings rarely (like I crave chocolate or cream or stuff like this) but I'm never hungry. I eat large volumes of (low calorie) food and make sure I'm full all the time until I fall asleep. I'm on ~1250cal/day and have been for 6 weeks.

I believe it's possible for some people, but I have enough experience with it myself to know that it isn't possible for me. So it's incorrect to say "you should never feel hungry".
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    pootle1972 wrote: »

Yeah but. ....NONONONONO......

I second that NONONONONO.
  • Seffell
    Options
    @missyfitz1 I see what you mean. However precisely because I've developed these stomach issues I mentioned above I think that you actually "should never feel" hungry as it is bad for your stomach to be empty and rumbling. It can get serious and might not be curable sometimes. I think this should be avoided at all costs. If you talk about hunger as in "wanting to eat "this is different and I call it craving. But actually being hungry is in my opinion the unhealthy way to do the deficit diet.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    @missyfitz1 I see what you mean. However precisely because I've developed these stomach issues I mentioned above I think that you actually "should never feel" hungry as it is bad for your stomach to be empty and rumbling. It can get serious and might not be curable sometimes. I think this should be avoided at all costs. If you talk about hunger as in "wanting to eat "this is different and I call it craving. But actually being hungry is in my opinion the unhealthy way to do the deficit diet.

Nothing wrong with being a little hungry and is not bad for your stomach. Sources please.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If someone has actual medical reasons, absolutely. I have a friend who has to eat every so often to prevent acid reflux and this was as explained by her doctor, and has worked to help keep it manageable (plus I believe some medication). For the rest of us, a rumbly tummy can be an actual a sign of hunger (regular, normal) to help us identify if we're really hungry, vs when we think we're hungry out of boredom (our brains are playing Little Shop of Horrors screaming "Feed me, Seymour!") or even when we haven't drank enough water and produces a hungry feeling.