March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 - omg what is that!

Armadillo... didn't seem afraid of me at all even when I shined my knuckle lights at it.

@elise4270 - was just catching up and watched that dog video. OMG - sobbing at my desk during lunch at school. What a great story.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Are those Kinvara?
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Stoshew71 I found something that says to not use your hamstrings and to not lift you heel with your posterior chain, but instead to drive the knee forward and let the heel whip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M36rR_txnRY

Sounds more logical for me

Unless you are a sprinter, I disagree with this concept. Long distance runners should not be forcing the swinging leg forward but the swing phase is a natural reaction to what is happening in the late stages of the stance phase and lift off.

So think of your leg swinging forward like letting go of a stretched elastic band. All that momentum built up by pushing your foot backward and bounding off will automatically swing the leg forward. There are way too many moving pieces and you want to take advantage of the natural flow. Thinking about driving the knee forward actually taxes your brain too much and wastes energy.

The more efficient way is using a high knee lift and hip drive. That is why I also included the bounding drill to practice that.

Sprinters on the other hand do practice driving the knee forward, but they use predominately anaerobic power and go for much shorter distances (like 400-800 meters).

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Are those Kinvara?

Yes! My first sauconys in 10 years
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hey, I'm only 27 pages behind!

Work has been crazy (I've had some days I don't leave until after midnight) so I haven't been able to keep up or post on this thread, but i did want to pop in and share a very cool tool I found on Strava, though you don't need to be a registered member to use it.

http://labs.strava.com/heatmap

It's a tool for finding popular running (or biking) routes in an area. They have a global heat map of all the runs or bike rides in their database. Pan around, zoom in and out, and you can see where others are running or biking. Find new routes in your neighborhood or research an area you're traveling to. If you only want to see running routes, make sure you select that on the left.

I have a short trip coming up next week and I didn't see any readily apparent running routes. Then I came upon this tool and though it confirmed my suspicions, it showed me some routes very close which others are using. If their being used enough to show up, chances are they'll be good routes for me to run as well. I'll now know to check this tool first and save a lot of time (or waste time as I explore new routes close to home)

Check it out and let me know what you think, I think it's pretty slick!

wp8zpgfi93au.jpeg

ifku5azreldu.jpeg

I have crazy amounts of work through mid April. I'm going to scan the pages I've missed on my trip next week but it's a PIA to post and reply on a phone so I likely won't post. Running has been going well for me of late and I'm excited to get back to the miles my marathon plan prescribes.

I'm on pace to meet my monthly goal!

mja5ftpgimon.jpeg

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Beautiful shoes, @Elise4270 !
  • AdrianChr92
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 I found something that says to not use your hamstrings and to not lift you heel with your posterior chain, but instead to drive the knee forward and let the heel whip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M36rR_txnRY

Sounds more logical for me

Unless you are a sprinter, I disagree with this concept. Long distance runners should not be forcing the swinging leg forward but the swing phase is a natural reaction to what is happening in the late stages of the stance phase and lift off.

So think of your leg swinging forward like letting go of a stretched elastic band. All that momentum built up by pushing your foot backward and bounding off will automatically swing the leg forward. There are way too many moving pieces and you want to take advantage of the natural flow. Thinking about driving the knee forward actually taxes your brain too much and wastes energy.

The more efficient way is using a high knee lift and hip drive. That is why I also included the bounding drill to practice that.

Sprinters on the other hand do practice driving the knee forward, but they use predominately anaerobic power and go for much shorter distances (like 400-800 meters).

Yes long distance runners should not be forcing the swing phase. This is exactly why it should come naturally and not use your hamstrings to pull the heel up. I have seen a few marathoners teaching that the heel should fold and to not just shuffle your legs. The push phase should end when the leg leaves the ground. These are mostly fast marathoners though but I think they may be up for something. Ultras are other beasts entirely

Here's Sage Canaday saying the same thing. And I'm pretty sure he runs ultras

https://youtu.be/VyjyewP6_i8?t=3m52s
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Can I speak well? Easy running
    Can I speak only one sentence? Moderate running
    Can I speak one word? Tempo or Race Pacing
    Can I not speak? Sprint/intervals

I use this as a gauge as well.

@Elise4270 - You win the prize for super-helpful, supportive group member the last couple days! Your award is...new running shoes (that you bought for yourself)!! Woot!! I have been thinking about trying Kinvaras. They are a little "lighter" than what I have used for the last (first) few years of running, but seem to work well for a lot of people that use some of the same other shoes I have.
  • AdrianChr92
    Options
    @Elise4270 Damn I envy you I want to go and try them but I can't find any store near me that has them
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Saucony only has one shoe in my size on their website :( Good think Nike has small shoes for guys
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Elise4270 Damn I envy you I want to go and try them but I can't find any store near me that has them

Thanks to @7lenny7 I found some online. They are light. A 4 drop instead of the 6 I'm currently in. I'm hoping they'll do me right.

Oddly my shoe size has changed over the last year from a 9 to and 8. I wonder if it all the running that had strengthened my feet back up from the ravage of pregnancy hormones 21+years ago. But I anticipate these 8.5 will be fine in the heat. Loving the running info you've presented. So nice we have constant information on how to do better and be better. @Stoshew71 too.

@karllundy :blush: thanks! I was wondering if y'all bailed on me. I sure missed the familiar faces.
  • AdrianChr92
    Options
    Np I am always looking for info on how to improve myself but all too often I come across contradictory information. One coach says X the other says don't X.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 - I don't think I realized that there are armadillos in Florida. I dislike them even more than possums!
    @Elise4270 - love the new shoes! I am pretty sure Beans wants running shoes too. Just look at the longing on that face! :)
    @7lenny7 - that heat map is great! I will have to try it out, especially when I travel. I usually end up in the hotel gym and that is no fun!

Well I found out yesterday that I won't get the current bandage/cast off until March 30th. I had thought it would be the 24th or 25th and planned my goal accordingly. So this means I am done for the month since I can't do any cardio, gym workouts or drive until then. I am going to try walking and may add in my walking distances just to help keep me motivated... otherwise I will just sit and read what you all are doing and drown my frustrations in retail therapy!
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    3.17 - 7.3 km run. It seems that I will be unable to conquer my goal but its fine by me

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/exercise/wAWH7CV/]
    exercise.png
    [/url]
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for March
    3/1 7.25 miles - 7.25
    3/2 4 miles - 11.25
    3/3 9 miles - 20.25
    3/4 3.5 miles - 23.75
    3/5 6.2 miles - 29.95
    3/6 2 miles - 31.95 << race warm-up
    3/6 5 miles - 36.95 << 8K race
    3/7 6.2 miles - 43.15
    3/8 8 miles - 51.15
    3/8 4.1 miles - 55.25 << daily double
    3/9 6.2 miles - 61.45
    3/10 8 miles - 69.45
    3/10 4 miles - 73.45 << another daily double
    3/11 6.25 miles - 79.70
    3/12 16.25 miles - 95.95
    3/13 REST DAY
    3/14 10.75 miles - 106.7
    3/15 8 miles - 114.7
    3/15 4.1 miles - 118.8 << daily double
    3/16 6.6 miles - 125.4
    3/17 9.35 miles - 134.75
    3/17 4 miles - 138.75 << lunch time daily double

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler - 6/25

• Stoshew71
    Options
    Np I am always looking for info on how to improve myself but all too often I come across contradictory information. One coach says X the other says don't X.

yeah, I find that a lot.

• whatang
    whatang Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Not feeling it At. All. this week. Big weekend stag do, followed by playing football on Monday night, then a couple of long days at work. All combined with generally awful sleep has added up to general lethargy and total lack of motivation to run. Finally forced myself out this evening and got just shy of 7 miles in. It was one of those runs where you have to bargain with yourself all the way around... "just another half mile then I'll stop"... then run that half a mile and strike a new bargain. Feels good to be back on the horse even if it was a struggle.

46/75 miles.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    I know most of you are dog lovers, and some of you are trying to lose weight. This video may touch your heart.

https://www.facebook.com/SFGate/videos/10156605140745594/
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Beautiful shoes! And the cat is sweet too :-)

@7lenny7 You can also use the heat map as an overlay in "mapping" routes on the computer that you can download on your phone before a run. If you create a new route, click on the settings icon on the left, and switch on "global heatmap" in the map view options.
    If you use the strava app on your phone, you can select and download your created route, and during your run it will display an overview map with your planned routed and your actual run and position - I find that super helpful if I planned a run with a few turns in an unknown area.

@shanaber Oh now, those are frustrating news! I'm sorry for you, I hope walking will be at least a little help. It's not running, but you'd still be outside and move around, so that's something at least.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    A few easy miles after a few days off being ill. I didn't really have the energy, but it felt good afterwards to have gotten out there again. I think this sickness bug will probably see off any chance of a PB at my 10km on Saturday, but I'll run anyway - I still get the medal, no matter how slow I am!

1st March - 3.03 miles
    3rd March - 4.03 miles
    6th March - 9.13 miles
    8th March - 3.30 miles
    12th March - 10.28 miles
    17th March - 3.77 miles

MTD - 33.54/65 miles

Upcoming races:
    19th Mar - Spring Riverside 10km
    3rd Apr - Paddock Wood Half Marathon
    8th May - Run Hackney Half Marathon
    2nd Oct - Tonbridge Half Marathon