No profile pic = bad idea?

Options

Replies

• becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I don't care so much about the pic - but for me - if they haven't filled out their profile - even the basics - I'm generally not interested. I'd like to know that this person has a vested interest in MFP and is willing to share. It's like going out on a date with someone who won't talk.....why bother?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Since there are so many fake ids used in SM it is hard to trust their validity. I use my real name and photo to help insure I do not act like a 'donkey' as much but then I am an old man. In this day and time some may not should use a real face photo.
  • serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I could care less about the profile picture, I pay more attention to what the person has in their profile or what they are posting. I personally use my pup because a) he's much cuter than I am and b) has waaay more personality ;-)
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Nope. If they become a creeper later, you can always delete them
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Since there are so many fake ids used in SM it is hard to trust their validity. I use my real name and photo to help insure I do not act like a 'donkey' as much but then I am an old man. In this day and time some may not should use a real face photo.
    Using a real name and profile pic wouldn't work for me due to certain people of my past who still think it is awesome to harass even though it has been many many years since I've interacted with them. It's best to keep that facet of my life away from the present. I'd rather keep those idiots away from me, but at the same time I'd like to interact with new people, too. I don't bite, I just don't feel very comfortable sharing personal information until one gets to know me.

I have other accounts with 'cerise_noir', particularly art and photography (except getty images, the only place I use my name).
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    How do you know it's their real face? Case in point, look at my avatar.

lol

Strong & funny first post!
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I don't care who sends me friend requests, there doesn't seem to be any real downside to accepting people as far as I can tell. I don't care if they have a picture, if they never log, etc. I'm happy to "like" stuff and whatever else but I don't really care who friends me and who can see my stuff. I don't entirely understand the ups and downs of who you MFP-befriend.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'd never accept a friend request from someone who didn't have a face. And for that same reason I never send any out. But also because I've just never found a reason to be friends with anyone on here except for one person who I have something in common with which gives us something to talk about. I would never send any more friend requests out unless I made my profile a bit more human.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Do you find it hard to accept a friend request, or send a friend request, to someone with no profile pic?

I do.

I have mercy on you. Therefore, no profile pic.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I can think of many reasons why someone would choose to not have a pic up. I have some in my profile, but those are for friends only. I work with a lot of people, some of whom I am certain are on here, and I like privacy. I'm here for me, and although I've made many great friends along the way (several I really want to meet), this process is for me and about me. I try to help out where I can and provide support, but it isn't my main priority. I like interacting with my friends, so I try to keep the list small and cut it down regularly. I enjoy their support and I don't think a lack of personal information is a deal breaker for an internet forum friend. I also disagree that level of commitment is related to profile pics or info.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I can think of many reasons why someone would choose to not have a pic up. I have some in my profile, but those are for friends only. I work with a lot of people, some of whom I am certain are on here, and I like privacy. I'm here for me, and although I've made many great friends along the way (several I really want to meet), this process is for me and about me. I try to help out where I can and provide support, but it isn't my main priority. I like interacting with my friends, so I try to keep the list small and cut it down regularly. I enjoy their support and I don't think a lack of personal information is a deal breaker for an internet forum friend. I also disagree that level of commitment is related to profile pics or info.

Nicely put.
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I can't even have blank silhouette heads in my phone contacts. I need pictures of every person and every business. Blank silhouettes are creepy to me.

Some people (me, as an example) just simply hate the way they look in pictures. It's a sickness, I know, but immortalizing myself in unappealing images isn't creepy, just a self-protective quirk.
  • Peter_Brady
    Peter_Brady Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    jwcanfield wrote: »
    I can't even have blank silhouette heads in my phone contacts. I need pictures of every person and every business. Blank silhouettes are creepy to me.

Some people (me, as an example) just simply hate the way they look in pictures. It's a sickness, I know, but immortalizing myself in unappealing images isn't creepy, just a self-protective quirk.

So use a picture of something that puts a smile on your face.

I personally don't care if someone doesn't have a picture of their self, but I would never accept a FR from someone with no picture.

Just my two cents
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference to me either way. I'm friends with the person, not their profile pic, lol.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I'm ok with totally abstract images...just not blank silhouettes

I don't really like it when a pal has a blank silhouette, although I have accepted friend requests from such people. It doesn't have to be a picture of a themselves, but a picture of some kind (animal, art, food, text or anything, really) is preferable.

The picture the person picks to represent himself or herself tells me a little tiny bit about his or her personality. A blank silhouette gives me nothing to go on.

A blank silhouette plus a blank profile results in me ignoring the friend request.
  • GrooveMerchant
    GrooveMerchant Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I haven't figured this place out yet I guess. I'm trying, but at times it feels a little bit like high school.
    I took some pretty gnarly before pictures... when I have some 'afters', then maybe I'll put them on my profile. Avatar will likely remain something other than me, though. I'd much rather see an orangutan, myself.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I usually accept anyone that sends me a request. I actively go through my friends list and delete nonactives and such though. Or if youre a dick or try to like hit on me or are just overall creepy ill delete.

I'm not here to make friends perse but I do enjoy meeting new people here and if I can motivate people or offer advice or help I'm up for it, or hell I even have a few friends that are inspirational to me. The more the merrier in my opinion!

I also understand that not everyone is at a place in their journey where they want to post a picture of themselves or for whatever other cyber security reason so I try not to be a *kitten* about it.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I would hesitate to accept a FR from someone with no pic at all. I don't care if you grab a random picture of a cat off Google - I feel someone who has gone to the trouble of adding a pic (any pic) is more likely to be engaged and supportive as a MFP friend.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    becky10rp wrote: »
    I don't care so much about the pic - but for me - if they haven't filled out their profile - even the basics - I'm generally not interested. I'd like to know that this person has a vested interest in MFP and is willing to share. It's like going out on a date with someone who won't talk.....why bother?

Yeah but some members who use the app don't know about the online profile. I have clicked on some active people and saw a blank profile so I'm assuming it's something some don't know about. In 2016 who's going to take the time to log onto the actual website when you can use the app? I think it's a technology problem here not a lack of vested interest.
  • 777cbr
    777cbr Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Just decided to add mine even though I am a bit covered up. Initially didn't want any of my friends to recognize that I was on a weight loss site because of a picture. Now, I talk about MyFitnessPal to everyone and sing its praises. It has really helped me achieve my goals.