40lbs weightloss noticeable?

Options
Hi all hope everyone's having a good day.
My question is if I lose Around 40lbs will it be noticeable?
I haven't seen my friends in a whole year and will be meeting them in a few months.
But I want to lose weight before I do so, I've lost 28lbs so far and set myself a goal to lose roughly 40-46lbs before seeing them.
I'm just wondering if they will notice it? As i can't (nor can anyone else around me) notice my weightloss so far, so will 40lbs be noticeable?
My starting weight: 246lbs I want to get down to 200lbs before seeing them. ( I now weigh 218lbs)
I don't think they will be able to see a difference becoz 200lbs is still a very high weight, and I heard the heavier you are the more weight you have to lose before seeing change.

Replies

• ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    That's about when I noticed it on me, was going from the 250's to the 200's or so. Keep in mind that your friends may notice it but not say anything, so don't let it get you down if they don't comment on your weight loss.
  • FlabToFitty
    FlabToFitty Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    That's about when I noticed it on me, was going from the 250's to the 200's or so. Keep in mind that your friends may notice it but not say anything, so don't let it get you down if they don't comment on your weight loss.

Hi thanks for the reply!
    When you went down to 200lbs was it a major change?? Like people were shocked?

• MTgal477
    MTgal477 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I started at 196 in January and have lost 22 pounds so far, and nobody has said anything to me about my weight loss....so, I'm hoping once I lose 30 to 40, someone will start to notice! Haha. Good luck!
  • FlabToFitty
    FlabToFitty Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    mntnwmn477 wrote: »
    I started at 196 in January and have lost 22 pounds so far, and nobody has said anything to me about my weight loss....so, I'm hoping once I lose 30 to 40, someone will start to notice! Haha. Good luck!

Wow congratulations on losing 22lbs! I know how difficult it is! I'm in the same boat as you no one can notice and neither can I, sometimes I feel as if the scales are lying to me lol

• phillyhockeyfan
    phillyhockeyfan Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40 as of yesterday. No one has noticed except for my family. I started at 269, and I'm down 2 pant sizes. I'm still chugging along. Hopefully people will start to notice soon.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it depends on how the weight was lost, and how often someone sees you. I had friends telling me they saw a difference after 20lbs. I can't see as much change in myself, but I see myself daily. Take pictures if you can to compare!
    Congratulations on your success, and I hope you continue to do well.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on how your body holds weight. Congratulations on your weight loss, but don't be discouraged if no one says anything. And if they don't, feel free to tell them. I've had that happen and they've said "I noticed, but didn't want to be rude"
  • jgertelman
    jgertelman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't see how anyone can not notice. I started at the same weight as you and lost 15 pounds and people noticed.

Some people don't say anything because they think it's somehow insulting (yes, I've heard that from people).

It's hard to notice changes in yourself because you see yourself every day, but have you looked at a photo from when you started this and compared it to what you see in the mirror or in new photos?

Also, have you adjusted your wardrobe? If you're still wearing your old clothes and they're bagging on you, it's hard to notice. But if you've lost 28 pounds, you can probably go down a size or two in pants or shirts and highlight your weight loss.

Either way, keep up the good work. Even if no one sees it, I'm sure you feel better and you'll definitely notice it soon.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Yes it's noticeable. The scale will have no problems proving that to you.
  • SIMAKRA
    SIMAKRA Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Just one tip, work on your posture, it will work wonders on appearance. At the workplace they thought I lost weight when only my posture changed.
    How:
    Squeese your bum (hold the poo in)
    Squeese your abs ( hold the pee in)
    Schoulders back and head high

And with your weightloss your friends will be stunned
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    It really just depends on how and where you carry your weight.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Keep in mind that your friends may notice it but not say anything, so don't let it get you down if they don't comment on your weight loss.

It's important for all us to recognize that there can be a difference between people noticing weight loss and actually saying something. It is so ingrained in us not to offend others, and mentioning a person's weight in any context is one of the things we are taught to avoid mentioning. People may notice, but be unsure whether or not saying something would be considered rude, and so keep quiet.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    SIMAKRA wrote: »
    Just one tip, work on your posture, it will work wonders on appearance. At the workplace they thought I lost weight when only my posture changed.
    How:
    Squeese your bum (hold the poo in)
    Squeese your abs ( hold the pee in)
    Schoulders back and head high

And with your weightloss your friends will be stunned

Love this, the descriptions especially.
    It is true though, good posture can take pounds off how you look.

If you are walking as exercise that is a perfect time to practice it. You may have to slow down a bit and initially keep reminding yourself to walk tall. But in a few month it will become habit.
    Google 'posture' and follow the recommendations.

Also, buy a new outfit that fits your new size. Wearing bigger clothes will make you look bigger.

It is so true, North Americans are very hesitant to mention weight, in any way, shape, or form. My English and Malaysian friends commented every 10lbs or so, Canadian and USA; never.

Get to your goal so you feel good for your get together.

Cheers, h.
  • whatshequilts
    whatshequilts Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm at 26 lbs today and people I see everyday don't notice, but people I havnt seen in a month do. I think your friends will notice. I started at 240 and I'm down to 214, so we are in the same range
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    Keep in mind that your friends may notice it but not say anything, so don't let it get you down if they don't comment on your weight loss.

It's important for all us to recognize that there can be a difference between people noticing weight loss and actually saying something. It is so ingrained in us not to offend others, and mentioning a person's weight in any context is one of the things we are taught to avoid mentioning. People may notice, but be unsure whether or not saying something would be considered rude, and so keep quiet.

Yup. Most people don't want to talk about it. Of my friends and family, I think maybe 1 in 5 has mentioned anything, and at 95 lb down, it's definitely noticeable.
  • cparsons_60
    cparsons_60 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 5", starting weight was about 200, current weight 140. A few people asked whether I'd lost weight at the 20-lb mark. I got "Wow, you've lost weight" starting around 25 pounds gone, so about 12% of my body weight. At first I loved it when people commented, but now, to be honest, I'm kind of sick of it. Some people I see once a week at church begin every single conversation with "Wow, you look great." I'm at goal so haven't lost anything in over a month. Isn't there something more interesting to talk about? I used to have genuine conversations with some of these folks. I'm hopeful that sometime soon they'll get used to the new me and then we can talk about something else.
  • InigoAndTheVoid
    InigoAndTheVoid Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    7 lbs of fat is about the same volume as a roll of paper towels. 6 rolls take up a lot of space. It should be very noticeable.
  • qb63
    qb63 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I agree with all these replies, especially, buy something that fits you better at your new size and isn't baggy OR tight, and many people don't say anything because they think it's rude. Someone once told me "it's like you're saying you thought they were fat before if you mention weight loss". Don't necessarily agree, but lots of people think that way, evidently. :smile:
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    The 10 lbs I have lost this year so far don't have anyone raving at how thin I am, but my clothes feel better and I am incredibly proud.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    If they haven't seen you in awhile, they will be more likely to notice. My fiance sees me every day and randomly out of the blue, turned and squinted at me and said "Oh, your face looks a lot slimmer."

It's true, it depends on how you carry it... but that's a decent chunk of weight and I'm sure they'd see SOMETHING.