Zero Calorie Drinks - Opinions?

Options
So I want to get everyone's opinion.

Recently I have been drinking Pure Leaf (brand) Unsweetened Green Team and Black tea in the morning. Is that okay - I don't like hot tea but these are cold and something that tastes different than water!

Today someone offered me a SobeLife Water - they said have this instead - more flavor and still ) sugar, 0 calories, and 0 artificial sweeteners.

I think I have always heard to steer away from the zero calorie drinks like that because whatever they use to sweeten them still can cause weight gain. I have always heard drinking Diet Coke and Coke Zero is almost as bad for you as regular coke and that is has been proven to cause weight gain in some.

WHAT ARE YOUR OPINIONS?

Replies

• LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Drink zero calorie drinks all you want. I have a diet pop everyday, still losing.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Why not make your own green or black tea? If you don't like it hot just pop a few ice cubes in it. If you don't put sugar or sugar substitutes in it you're all set.

Black coffee is another obvious possibility.
  • mwood1234
    mwood1234 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't log anything with 0 calories and I'm still losing. I drink a lot of diet green tea and have a diet coke at least once a week.
  • tns56364
    tns56364 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to powerade zero and green tea and I'm still losing.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options

Recently I have been drinking Pure Leaf (brand) Unsweetened Green Team and Black tea in the morning. Is that okay - I don't like hot tea but these are cold and something that tastes different than water!

Today someone offered me a SobeLife Water - they said have this instead - more flavor and still ) sugar, 0 calories, and 0 artificial sweeteners.

I think I have always heard to steer away from the zero calorie drinks like that because whatever they use to sweeten them still can cause weight gain. I have always heard drinking Diet Coke and Coke Zero is almost as bad for you as regular coke and that is has been proven to cause weight gain in some.

WHAT ARE YOUR OPINIONS?

Nope. 0 calories - 0 weight gain.
    Any 0 calorie drink would do the trick. I personally only drink water and herbal tea with sweeteners (the herbal tea is a cultural thing for me).

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how something without calories could contribute to weight gain. I drank diet soda regularly while losing weight and still drink it while maintaining.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

WHAT ARE YOUR OPINIONS?

Here's a currently running thread with plenty of discussion, some actual science and a lot of the usual misinformation and fearmongering about diet soda: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10354206/diet-pop

[ETA:] I drink diet soda and/or artificially sweetened coffee/tea daily, have for many, many years. It hasn't affected my weight loss or overall health in any way. The people talking about a zero-calorie drink causing weight gain are misinformed and ignorant of basic physiology. They quote useless studies which confuse correlation with causation.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I have a Diet Pepsi every day, plus I use a couple squirts of water enhancer (Mio, e.g.). Plus Splenda or stevia in my coffee. I've preferred these drinks when I was overweight, and still drink them now that I'm leaner. Low/no calorie beverages have neither harmed nor helped me. I just prefer them.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Im drinking an extra large diet coke right now. Other than the cancer causing chemicals in it, i think its fine.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    From everything I've read, nothing about a diet soda or zero calorie drink or artificial sweetener itself causes weight gain. The problem is that for a few people (myself included), drinking diet sodas may lead to stronger cravings and overeating, particularly of sweets. Most people don't have this problem. I cut diet soda out of my diet a few months ago and the weight has come off more steadily. I did this when I looked at my diary and noticed a definite trend of eating more on days I had Diet Coke, and particularly eating calorie dense sweets/desserts that I normally had no problem avoiding or eating in moderation.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how something without calories could contribute to weight gain. I drank diet soda regularly while losing weight and still drink it while maintaining.

This is how it could be bad for some people.
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/artificial-sweeteners-may-change-our-gut-bacteria-in-dangerous-ways/

Even though it has no calories it doesn't have zero impact on your body. If it changes the bacteria in your digestive track it could cause problems.

That type of study doesn't prove that 100% of people are going to have issues. If you have been drinking it with no issues you probably will have no issues in the future either. But that doesn't mean others won't have problems.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Excess calories cause weight gain, so someone saying a zero calorie beverage will cause you to gain weight is "wrong" (conditionally). What I mean by that, is some people have trigger foods that cause eating patterns they would not normally do. So it's possible that the more you satisfy yourself with sweetend zero calorie drinks, you will crave more sweet food and drink to satisfy that "sweet tooth", thus the potential to over eat on calorically dense sweet food or drink. So to give an example with food would be; how much plain baked potato can you eat compared to that with butter, sour creme, salt, etc... The tastier (palatable) you make it, the easier it is to overindulge. For some people, this is a non issue, for others, it is.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Technically they still do contain calories. Legally you can put zero calories if it's under 5 calories PER serving. So if you a hardcore addict, you could end up with an extra 50-100 cals a day, but I wouldn't track it. Just stay consistent and if you're losing weight, there's no point. Also if you're drinking 50-100 cals in sugar free drinks, you may need to see someone lol
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Good question. Google will have you thinking diet drinks cause you to gain weight, people who drink them are heavier than people who drink regular drinks, and the artificial sweeteners in them are going to kill you. I have decided to ignore Dr. Google and enjoy my diet ginger ales.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    Good question. Google will have you thinking diet drinks cause you to gain weight, people who drink them are heavier than people who drink regular drinks, and the artificial sweeteners in them are going to kill you. I have decided to ignore Dr. Google and enjoy my diet ginger ales.

That's the correlation vs. causation catch. "Fat people drink diet soda, therefore diet soda makes you fat". Using that same line of logic, I could postulate that I see a lot of fat people exercising, therefore exercise makes you fat.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

WHAT ARE YOUR OPINIONS?

Instead of a opinion I'll give you a fact.

Calories are the only thing that can cause weight gain, and if there are zero (or near zero) calories in a product, there is no magical construct by which that product will cause a person to gain weight out of thin air.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

WHAT ARE YOUR OPINIONS?

Instead of a opinion I'll give you a fact.

Calories are the only thing that can cause weight gain, and if there are zero (or near zero) calories in a product, there is no magical construct by which they product will cause a person to gain weight out of thin air.

naub1xtncfe1.jpg
  • TickleAnn
    TickleAnn Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    murp4069 wrote: »
    From everything I've read, nothing about a diet soda or zero calorie drink or artificial sweetener itself causes weight gain. The problem is that for a few people (myself included), drinking diet sodas may lead to stronger cravings and overeating, particularly of sweets. Most people don't have this problem. I cut diet soda out of my diet a few months ago and the weight has come off more steadily. I did this when I looked at my diary and noticed a definite trend of eating more on days I had Diet Coke, and particularly eating calorie dense sweets/desserts that I normally had no problem avoiding or eating in moderation.

Are you me? :) This is my physiology, exactly. When I drink a Diet Coke, a few hours later I'll have cravings for sweets, as you do. This doesn't happen since I switched to stevia as a sweetener.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    No calories but they're made of pure yuck!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    Im drinking an extra large diet coke right now. Other than the cancer causing chemicals in it, i think its fine.

85426-Bill-Hader-smile-gif-I-see-wha-x7VY.gif

Have you considered the consequences when those chemicals turn you into a super hero though?