diet pop?

Options
I've cut out pop from my diet, but why do some say switching to diet pop is just as bad as regular??

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Because they are uniformed and get too many health tips from Facebook memes and health food zealot blogs/articles
  • bigorange70
    bigorange70 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    There is an argument that diet pop is bad and it very well could be. Water of course is better than pop but I have about 3 or more a day of diet soda. Losing weight regularly so far. I guess it depends on the person.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Some people do notice an increase in cravings when they drink diet pop. I do not, so i enjoy diet pop daily.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Some people do notice an increase in cravings when they drink diet pop. I do not, so i enjoy diet pop daily.

This^

There are people for whom artificial sweeteners can trigger migraines. Not an issue for me, I drink 1 or 2 diet sodas everyday.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Because they are uniformed and get too many health tips from Facebook memes and health food zealot blogs/articles

This.

Diet soda is fine. Drink it if you enjoy it. It will not hinder your weight loss.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

Preach! I love diet pop, you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands :p I'm not a coffee drinker so I have one in the morning pretty much every morning.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Good question.

Perhaps there should be an entry for this in the Nutrition Debate forums for why pop is bad or not, and of course debate the whole artificial sugar thing. Perhaps MFP community has the science behind the question, "Does diet Soda Cause Cravings"? and what not?

Personally, it is all personal choice, I have a 20 ounce diet drink a day sometimes 2. I know that stuff in our food and drinks have the potential to be harmful. But just like anything else I consume, if I must know every single thing about every single thing that I consume, I would be a pretty busy person doing lots and lots of research and I would be pretty hungry too if I were scared to eat or drink it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    As a former T2 diabetic in remission, I can state unequivocally that sugar pop is significantly worse than diet pop. One spikes sugar, and the other does not.

American Diabetes Association - What Can I Drink?
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I love Diet Coke, but weight started coming off a lot faster when I cut it out of my diet. The soda itself wasn't adding calories, but after looking over my food diary I noted that I was eating more on the days that I had Diet Coke than the days I wasn't, particularly calorie dense sweets. Now that I know that drinking diet soda seems to increase my cravings for sweets, I still have it occasionally, I just try to be mindful about what I'm eating later on. Unless diet soda affects you in the same way, it won't hurt your weight loss.
  • missyfitz1
    missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I find that Diet Coke actually curbs my cravings for sweets. When I feel like I need something sweet, if I have a Diet Coke it goes away. Maybe these cravings are more psychological than physiological, but I find it very helpful in cutting out calories that won't fill me up.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options

lol - ^^^this^^^ - exactly
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is not a health food by any means, but if you like it, you enjoy it in moderation, and it doesn't cause you any issues, I don't see why you have to cut it out of your diet. I enjoy Diet Coke, and it doesn't trigger cravings for me. If I drink a lot of it, it does give me migraines, though, so I try to limit it.

It's just personal preference and knowing how it affects you. :)
  • blackestboo
    blackestboo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's really bad for your teeth if you drink it outside of mealtimes
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    missyfitz1 wrote: »
    I find that Diet Coke actually curbs my cravings for sweets. When I feel like I need something sweet, if I have a Diet Coke it goes away. Maybe these cravings are more psychological than physiological, but I find it very helpful in cutting out calories that won't fill me up.

I've found the same thing! I know for a lot of people they say drinking diet pop leads to them eating or craving more sugary foods or overeating but the exact opposite happens for me. It curbs my cravings and it actually helps keep me full longer when I have a diet pop.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

What? How is having it with food different than drinking it on its own?

And if you're worried about the acid content being bad for the enamel of your teeth, then you should worry about all of the other acidic foods we eat as well - especially citrus.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    missyfitz1 wrote: »

Me too. It always helps me when I get a sweet tooth.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Wait, because drinking it at meal times negates it's effects? Also isn't anything you basically ingest a "meal time"?

People have bad teeth because it's DIRECTLY related to bad oral hygiene. That goes with ANYTHING anyone eats or drinks.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• KSween2016
    KSween2016 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    http://m.huffpost.com/us/news/diet-soda-health-risks

Very bad for your health and cancer causing! Here is an article from Huffpost with more information! <3
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    KSween2016 wrote: »
    http://m.huffpost.com/us/news/diet-soda-health-risks

Very bad for your health and cancer causing! Here is an article from Huffpost with more information! <3

Ah yes. Because when I think "reliable and unbiased," Huffpost is my go-to.

Also: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1
  • cdstewart51115
    cdstewart51115 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ugh, diet soda=chemical overload for your organs. They say the harm out wieghs the sugar of regular. It's all crap though. (Past Diet Coke habit and Dr Pepper lover)