diet pop?

Options

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Ugh, diet soda=chemical overload for your organs. They say the harm out wieghs the sugar of regular. It's all crap though. (Past Diet Coke habit and Dr Pepper lover)

Where are you getting your information from? Because it's not based on facts.
    it's worse. I loved it but it turned out it was giving me migraines and making bloated...try la croix waters for bubbly

Just because it caused problems for you personally, doesn't mean it's bad for everyone.

"Horseradish really burns my nose. That means it can't be good - try mustard instead. It's better for you!"

^^See how silly that sounds?

I didn't say it was bad for anyone else. Just said my experience. Stop reading what isn't there goofy

You said "it's worse." As in worse than regular soda. And it's not.

You then told the OP to try something else instead.

I read what you wrote and responded accordingly; if you meant something else, there was no way to know that based on the information you presented.

Did you not read the OP's question? They asked why some people say it's just as bad as regular...if they didn't want to know responses I'm guessing they wouldn't have asked the question. If you want to drink diet coke that's great, hell I'd have agreed with you 6 months ago.

Yes, I read the OP's question. And I read your response. I read a blanket statement that said "it's worse". When I rebutted your statement, you started backpedaling. I'm sorry if you meant something else - perhaps you should edit your post to reflect what you really meant.

And I don't drink Diet Coke, yuck. Diet A&W is where it's at.

That and Pepsi Max for the win

Diet Canada Dry. Love.

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Ugh, diet soda=chemical overload for your organs. They say the harm out wieghs the sugar of regular. It's all crap though. (Past Diet Coke habit and Dr Pepper lover)

it's worse. I loved it but it turned out it was giving me migraines and making bloated...try la croix waters for bubbly

Just because it caused problems for you personally, doesn't mean it's bad for everyone.

"Horseradish really burns my nose. That means it can't be good - try mustard instead. It's better for you!"

I didn't say it was bad for anyone else. Just said my experience. Stop reading what isn't there goofy

I read what you wrote and responded accordingly; if you meant something else, there was no way to know that based on the information you presented.

Did you not read the OP's question? They asked why some people say it's just as bad as regular...if they didn't want to know responses I'm guessing they wouldn't have asked the question. If you want to drink diet coke that's great, hell I'd have agreed with you 6 months ago.

Yes, I read the OP's question. And I read your response. I read a blanket statement that said "it's worse". When I rebutted your statement, you started backpedaling. I'm sorry if you meant something else - perhaps you should edit your post to reflect what you really meant.

Perhaps you should learn what tastes good and get some diet coke and throw out that nasty A&W
  • cdstewart51115
    cdstewart51115 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Are your "reputable sources" mercola?

Since I have not heard of that, I would have to say no LOL! HSI is the main source, but there are others.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    No we just want to read your scientific peer reviewed studies because we are science people . I have never seen any peer reviewed studies saying our body struggles to assimilate processed foods. Linking studies helps educate people. Making claims without backing them up does not.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    No we just want to read your scientific peer reviewed studies because we are science people . I have never seen any peer reviewed studies saying our body struggles to assimilate processed foods. Linking studies helps educate people. Making claims without backing them up does not.

What science do you work in?
  • singingflutelady
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I don't work in science. I am just a fan of it but there are plenty of people who do.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

You don't have to work on science to be "science people".
  • frankie_xox
    frankie_xox Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It's really bad for your teeth if you drink it outside of mealtimes

I'm 28 years old and have drank copious amounts of diet coke in my lifetime and have no cavities or any other teeth problems.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    SMH, i was not specifically pinpointing artificial sweeteners. and for clarification, I do not google search. I wonder why there are always people preferring to tear each other down because we think differently. If it is not made from nature without being processed to death, our bodies struggle to assimilate it. Did I say, don't drink it? Nope, I said it was a chemical laden and not good for us. Lord have mercy, y'all need to step back just a bit. Is this really how this forum works??

This is not how the body works. There are highly processed foods that are highly palatable and digestible. I'm thinking Pablum. How exactly does the body struggle to assimilate it?
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    hsionline.com ? Definitely looks legit lol
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

You don't have to work on science to be "science people".

yawn
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Reading scientific studies in a member's only database is where I get it from. However, if you do some simple google searches to reputable organizations that test these theories, you might learn quite a lot about the garbage we are being told is 'ok' or 'good' for us. However, that being said, many people will defend their beliefs to the death so I just throw out the logical and scientific information so other's can make their own educated decisions. If I give out links, it lessens the educational search for themselves. If people really don't care about fact and science, then to each his own. I really don't think challenging and debunking another person's opinions really helps anyone.

I have access to a large University's research library, with thousands of peer-reviewed journals. Go ahead and post the link.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Are your "reputable sources" mercola?

Since I have not heard of that, I would have to say no LOL! HSI is the main source, but there are others.

As in http://hsionline.com/ ? Like, on the 5th Day, God said, "and lo, those artificial sweetners will rend thy flesh and render you to a lower plane. Do no drink of them for they are of the left-hand"?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    SMH, i was not specifically pinpointing artificial sweeteners. and for clarification, I do not google search. I wonder why there are always people preferring to tear each other down because we think differently. If it is not made from nature without being processed to death, our bodies struggle to assimilate it. Did I say, don't drink it? Nope, I said it was a chemical laden and not good for us. Lord have mercy, y'all need to step back just a bit. Is this really how this forum works??

It's fine if you want to avoid it.

People take issue with someone coming on here and making a claim as if it is fact (such as "diet coke=chemical overload for your organs") and not being able to back it up with reputable sources.

What you stated was absolutely not true. And it is neither good nor bad for us - it's neutral. No one tore you down, we asked for you to back up your claims.

In this post, you also made the claim "If it is not made from nature [...] our bodies struggle to assimilate it." That is not a fact.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    To go back on topic, the reason so many people are against diet soda is the aspartame. I wish I knew where the original report is, but what I remember is that the level of aspartame that caused cancer in the rats was way way WAY over normal consumption. As in, scaled up, a couple buckets of it a day over normal consumption. If I can find it tonight after class, I'll post it up.

I personally don't like diet sodas because the aspartame leaves a bitter aftertaste in my mouth. I wish Dr. Pepper would make it with Splenda like Diet Coke does, I'd totally be willing to try it!
  • Beaner63
    Beaner63 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Reading scientific studies in a member's only database is where I get it from. However, if you do some simple google searches to reputable organizations that test these theories, you might learn quite a lot about the garbage we are being told is 'ok' or 'good' for us. However, that being said, many people will defend their beliefs to the death so I just throw out the logical and scientific information so other's can make their own educated decisions. If I give out links, it lessens the educational search for themselves. If people really don't care about fact and science, then to each his own. I really don't think challenging and debunking another person's opinions really helps anyone.

So you are saying you don't really have a source to make those claims, you just want everyone to think you do?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

That and Pepsi Max for the win

Diet Canada Dry. Love.

Yes to all of the above.

And Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper.
  • singingflutelady
    Options

I have access to a large University's research library, with thousands of peer-reviewed journals. Go ahead and post the link.

It's hsionline.com not a scholarly source @ClosetBayesian
  • cdstewart51115
    cdstewart51115 Posts: 15 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Point taken, but some links would not work, even if I could. To post copy written material is against the law as well. Only members can access those. I go through so many, that my mistake has been to not notate the sources. This does proves that I should and when I get back to my home computer, I will track a few down that I can reference and post later this week.

On the point made above, you have never heard that there is a direct relation between processed foods and health ailments?! The spikes in glucose and resulting hormone imbalances that aid in cancer, Alzheimer's (I can't spell that, :) ), diabetes, chron's, celiac diseases, etc? Oh my gosh, I didn't realize that this information is not more publicized! I just assumed people were getting the information but just ignored it. Now I feel horrible that y'all just have been informed! I totally recant the google comment if it doesn't get the right information to you (since mine are not from a web search). This is where I hate Big Pharma for brainwashing us and the USDA being controlled by lobbyists. And no, I am not a fanatic, just personal experiences in health with my family that I refuse to also be a statistic of. Also, I never said I didn't have a soda (we call them all 'Coke' down here :smile: ). Until recently, I loved Dr Pepper. Since getting away from sugar as much as I can, it tastes awful to me now.

But the main point here is I posed another opinion and the wolves came out to attack. Being a new person here, it certainly does seem it very welcoming or respectful of opinions outside of your own. That in itself is sad. Would you attack a Vegan if they say people were not designed to eat meat and it is bad for you?? My simple observation and input brought a smart-a@# retort and showed lack of respect. But my own mistake was lowing myself to make my own retort, so my apology for that.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Point taken, but the links would not work even if i could. to post copy written material is against the law as well. Only members can access it. I go through so many, that my mistake has been to not notate the sources. This does proves that I should and when I get back to my home computer, I will track a few down to post later this week.
    But the main point here is I posed another opinion and the wolves came out to attack. Being a new person here, it certainly does seem it very welcoming or respectful of opinions outside of your own. That in itself is sad enough. Would you attack a Vegan when they say people were not designed to eat meat and it is bad for you?? My simple observation and input brought out rather unbecoming behavior.

I don't know about attack, but I'd rather strongly disagree with them just using the term designed because I wasn't designed. Once they properly wanted to discuss adapted, I'd say humans are rather unique in having an artificial digestive system that can start the process miles away from them, which renders comparisons between carnivores, omnivores, herbivores, and frugivores a bit of an odd comparison to try to make.