diet pop?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    SMH, i was not specifically pinpointing artificial sweeteners. and for clarification, I do not google search. I wonder why there are always people preferring to tear each other down because we think differently. If it is not made from nature without being processed to death, our bodies struggle to assimilate it. Did I say, don't drink it? Nope, I said it was a chemical laden and not good for us. Lord have mercy, y'all need to step back just a bit. Is this really how this forum works??
    Chemically laden? You mean like an apple or banana (which has WAY MORE chemicals molecularly bonded than aspartame). Realize that if you're going to make a statement that isn't true on a public forum, be prepared for opposition to refute it. It's important in THIS community that correct information is passed on and not information that lacks evidence to support it.

O noes, the chemi-kills!!!:

s14y4lq0s5uc.jpeg
    Also don't forget, if you can't pronounce the ingredients, you shouldn't eat it. It's evil.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    hsionline.com ? Definitely looks legit lol
    senecarr wrote: »
    Are your "reputable sources" mercola?

Since I have not heard of that, I would have to say no LOL! HSI is the main source, but there are others.

As in http://hsionline.com/ ? Like, on the 5th Day, God said, "and lo, those artificial sweetners will rend thy flesh and render you to a lower plane. Do no drink of them for they are of the left-hand"?

My curiosity got the better of me and I had to look at it. Saw everything I needed to see on the entry page - I'd consider the HuffPo article quoted upthread as more reliable than anything on that whacko site. Heck, I'd consider Dr. Oz, Mercola or Weekly World News more reliable, and that's saying something. That site looks like it takes junk science to new, never before seen levels. Absolutely laughable.
  • cdstewart51115
    cdstewart51115 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Lol, y'all are something else. I will stick to my knowledge of science and beliefs; and you can continue to believe government regulated agencies (and their cronies' studies) that you believe have your health's best interest in mind (laughable) while you feed addictions that do nothing for health. If you wanted true health, you would find it. And the HSI site you quote isn't were I get the info, that is one place I get the medical references from. I don't support all their theories. And in hindsight, I should have mentioned the institute of psychological studies and the integrated nutrition schools as well. Oh and Dr Susan of brightline eating. And I should care of you burn me to the ground on a forum? Nah, it just proves people really don't want true health; which is why the food and pharmaceutical industries are so rich. Peace out.
  • cdstewart51115
    Options
    Meant to say diet food...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Lol, y'all are something else. I will stick to my knowledge of science and beliefs; and you can continue to believe government regulated agencies (and their cronies' studies) that you believe have your health's best interest in mind (laughable) while you feed addictions that do nothing for health. If you wanted true health, you would find it. And the HSI site you quote isn't were I get the info, that is one place I get the medical references from. I don't support all their theories. And in hindsight, I should have mentioned the institute of psychological studies and the integrated nutrition schools as well. Oh and Dr Susan of brightline eating. And I should care of you burn me to the ground on a forum? Nah, it just proves people really don't want true health; which is why the food and pharmaceutical industries are so rich. Peace out.

Lol - typical and predictable.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

I work at a University that boasts, among other programs, a med school. Post the details of the article - author's name, journal, year of publication; all that is perfectly legal to post without infringing copyright. If for some reason that journal is not one of the thousands the University pays for, one of the research librarians can get the for me through inter-library loans.

I'm not burning you to the ground, just asking you to back up your claims.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Diet soda really satisfies my cravings for something sweet and something carbonated. I don't love the aftertaste though and I find that lingers for a while. I haven't seen any stalls in my weight loss from drinking diet. I've read a lot of the woo about it and it's mostly about how artificial sugars can cause weight gain or stall it. Maybe eventually they'll find some concrete evidence for one way or another but for now I'm going to enjoy diet soda.
    missyfitz1 wrote: »
    The article’s main points:

• Despite its name, it may not really be that diet friendly.

But this is based 100 percent on correlation, and as the article itself says: “it's possible the results of these studies are intrinsically tied to the fact that overweight people may be more likely to select diet sodas in the first place in order to lose weight.” Diet soda doesn’t cause weight gain – overweight people are just more likely to choose diet soda.

I agree with this right here. What I've noticed among friends and other people I interact with is they justifiy making a bad food choice because they got a diet soda. Like somehow the diet soda is going to offset the calorie overload they're about to introduce to their bodies.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Weight loss wise diet is def better since it has no calories, overall a lot of soda isn't good for you. I mean, a lot of ANYTHING isn't good for you. But a soda with lunch is fine. Just don't drink half a dozen every day, and make sure you brush and floss everyday. I mean, water is the best yes, but we like flavored drinks!

Sugar wise, I am drinking a Gatorade right now (I usually don't but it was given to me and I'll be darned if it's wasted) and there is 21grams of sugar in it!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I will stick to my knowledge of science and beliefs
    Pretty much says it all right there. Thanks for trying to play though.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Why is it every soda/diet soda thread turns into a slap fight?

Just live and let live. If you like diet soda and you have no issues, go for it. If you think you do better without it or just choose to drink something else, that's fine too. Why do people who think one way have to try and justify their position and talk others into their way of thinking? For every internet article that says "Diet Coke is Fine" there's another that says "Diet Coke Kills". Don't believe what you read, because it seems all the "evidence" (on either side) is anecdotal at best.

I've done both sides: been an avid Diet Coke guy and a soda abstainer. My choice either way. I am currently off the soda bandwagon, but I have 2 12-packs in the garage ready to go if I decide to jump back on!

Just do what you feel is best for you, OP.
  • rivim
    rivim Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I never noticed any sugar cravings as a result of drinking diet soda but as of a few weeks ago I have completely cut it out due to worries about its ingredients.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Just live and let live. If you like diet soda and you have no issues, go for it. If you think you do better without it or just choose to drink something else, that's fine too. Why do people who think one way have to try and justify their position and talk others into their way of thinking? For every internet article that says "Diet Coke is Fine" there's another that says "Diet Coke Kills". Don't believe what you read, because it seems all the "evidence" (on either side) is anecdotal at best.

I've done both sides: been an avid Diet Coke guy and a soda abstainer. My choice either way. I am currently off the soda bandwagon, but I have 2 12-packs in the garage ready to go if I decide to jump back on!

People will choose whatever side they want. They SHOULD choose based on correct information though and not from opinions formed from reading articles by those who have no idea about how artificial sweeteners work. Hence the slap fight. And the evidence for it being safe to drink is HARDLY anecdotal. It's very easy to post links that are peer reviewed.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

We're asking for peer-reviewed research, not "internet articles".
  • cdstewart51115
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Yes y'all are :) The first point of quality of food vs calories in/out is in MFP's own blog.. https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2-science-backed-strategies-to-avoid-long-term-weight-gain/ See if you can you access it since it is a Premium member's perk.
    Another talk about pesticide, artificial and chemical attributes of poor health (this is relative to children in the original article) gave these studies references.
    • "Pediatrics"; Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder and Urinary Metabolites of Organophosphate Pesticides; Maryse Bouchard, et al.; Jun 2010
    • "Environmental Health Perspectives"; Dietary Intake and Its Contribution to Longitudinal Organophosphorus Pesticide Exposure in Urban/Suburban Children; Chensheng Lu, et al.; Apr 2008
    • "American Journal of Epidemiology"; Parkinson's Disease and Residential Exposure to Maneb and Paraquat from Agricultural Applications in the Central Valley of California; Sadie Costello, et al.; Apr 15 2009
    • "International Journal of Cancer"; Processed Meat Consumption, Dietary Nitrosamines and Stomach Cancer Risk in a Cohort of Swedish Women; Susanna Larsson, et al.; Aug 15 2006
    • Center For Science in the Public Interest; Fda Urged to Prohibit Carcinogenic "Caramel Coloring"; February 16 2011
    I really have better things to do than debate and just this proves the general American population isn't ready to hear these things until they are diagnosed with a disease or ailment that could have been avoided. No harm, no foul on my part. I don't get all up in arms and pissed to the point of hateful attacks and snarky comments on someone for their input. I didn't condemn anyone for choosing it either. Oh and on the ridiculous comment about a banana having chemicals in the breakdown...someone had to name the compositions. I don't recall a scientist being able to create a banana from chemicals only. :) I sure as heck wouldn't eat it if they could.
    For those that have 'nutrition' certification should really know better and be an example of a student always willing to learn for the benefit of the public. Science is not perfect and studies are continually recanted as progress is made. If I am proven wrong on any stance, that is fine...I will continue to side on the conservative side of caution. Why? I have watched my mother be sucked into the diabetic and heart disease 'treatment' propaganda; by taking their pills and eat all the processed crap they pushed out as 'diabetic friendly' and sugar-free. Twelve years ago, she died on the operating table, with surgeons trying to fix her heart. My father has battled the same ailment as well as colon cancer. Both of which he beat and still living at 80. So don't even tell me my views are bull@*^$. I have nothing more to say and thanks for welcoming me (not) into the community. I will not be wasting my time here. And if you construe this as mad as hell, it isn't; but I am passionate about what I (and my children) have lost...Mom/Grammy. I can't get her back and I can't turn back time. If you still have yours, please go tell her you love her. Then feed her a natural, organic meal :)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

There's literally 30+ years worth of research that has been made, reproduced, reviewed and re-reviewed over and over again. There is absolute, concrete evidence.

For the third time in this thread:

"Thus, one would ask, “Why is there a need for a comprehensive review of aspartame safety data at this point in
    time?” Questions about its safety continue to be raised by a few individuals. Safety issues long ago resolved to the
    satisfaction of regulatory agencies and expert committees are today resurrected by some as if new. Early on these
    issues were based on scientific hypothesis, misinterpretation of data, and/or anecdotal reports of adverse health
    effects. Recently spurious and imaginative, hypothetical questions that are lacking even anecdotal support or a
    logical scientific rationale have compounded these issues. Given the extensive safety database and many years
    of safe human exposure, the continuing debate about aspartame is most unusual."

http://seriecientifica.org/sites/default/files/scl_enc_butchko.pdf
  • jparks527
    jparks527 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have tried diet beverages over the years, diet Dr Pepper in a 12 oz bottle helps to keep the craving for sugar in check. I don't drink it every day, I have noticed that I have bad acid indigestion after wards. Coffee and unsweetened tea is what I prefer other than lots of water.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Yes y'all are :) The first point of quality of food vs calories in/out is in MFP's own blog.. https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2-science-backed-strategies-to-avoid-long-term-weight-gain/ See if you can you access it since it is a Premium member's perk.
    Another talk about pesticide, artificial and chemical attributes of poor health (this is relative to children in the original article) gave these studies references.
    • "Pediatrics"; Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder and Urinary Metabolites of Organophosphate Pesticides; Maryse Bouchard, et al.; Jun 2010
    • "Environmental Health Perspectives"; Dietary Intake and Its Contribution to Longitudinal Organophosphorus Pesticide Exposure in Urban/Suburban Children; Chensheng Lu, et al.; Apr 2008
    • "American Journal of Epidemiology"; Parkinson's Disease and Residential Exposure to Maneb and Paraquat from Agricultural Applications in the Central Valley of California; Sadie Costello, et al.; Apr 15 2009
    • "International Journal of Cancer"; Processed Meat Consumption, Dietary Nitrosamines and Stomach Cancer Risk in a Cohort of Swedish Women; Susanna Larsson, et al.; Aug 15 2006
    • Center For Science in the Public Interest; Fda Urged to Prohibit Carcinogenic "Caramel Coloring"; February 16 2011
    I really have better things to do than debate and just this proves the general American population isn't ready to hear these things until they are diagnosed with a disease or ailment that could have been avoided. No harm, no foul on my part. I don't get all up in arms and pissed to the point of hateful attacks and snarky comments on someone for their input. I didn't condemn anyone for choosing it either. Oh and on the ridiculous comment about a banana having chemicals in the breakdown...someone had to name the compositions. I don't recall a scientist being able to create a banana from chemicals only. :) I sure as heck wouldn't eat it if they could.
    For those that have 'nutrition' certification should really know better and be an example of a student always willing to learn for the benefit of the public. Science is not perfect and studies are continually recanted as progress is made. If I am proven wrong on any stance, that is fine...I will continue to side on the conservative side of caution. Why? I have watched my mother be sucked into the diabetic and heart disease 'treatment' propaganda; by taking their pills and eat all the processed crap they pushed out as 'diabetic friendly' and sugar-free. Twelve years ago, she died on the operating table, with surgeons trying to fix her heart. My father has battled the same ailment as well as colon cancer. Both of which he beat and still living at 80. So don't even tell me my views are bull@*^$. I have nothing more to say and thanks for welcoming me (not) into the community. I will not be wasting my time here. And if you construe this as mad as hell, it isn't; but I am passionate about what I (and my children) have lost...Mom/Grammy. I can't get her back and I can't turn back time. If you still have yours, please go tell her you love her. Then feed her a natural, organic meal :)

So you're completely biased by the bad luck that struck you and would believe anything that goes against the established, 30+ years in the making body of evidence. Cool.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

So you're completely biased by the bad luck that struck you and would believe anything that goes against the established, 30+ years in the making body of evidence. Cool.

This.

And why does disagreeing and or asking for evidence to back up what you're saying always become "hateful attacks" or "snarky"?? I will never understand that.
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Ehh I drink one day and I notice it makes me fuller bc of the carbonation. I enjoy having one with my dinner bc I drink water pm allll day long.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

Ok, to be fair, I looked up all of those. I haven't had time to do more than a cursory glance since I'm at work, but what I see is:

The first three are about the effects of certain pesticides, two of them on organophosphorus exposure on children, one about a possible connection to pesticides and Parkinson's. The third is about a possible link between processed meats (defined as meats preserved by salting, smoking or the addition of nitrites or nitrates) and stomach cancer. The last one isn't a peer-reviewed study, just an article without links to the actual study that it's worried about.

None of those are about dangers of aspartame or diet drinks. I'll look at them closer tonight after class because I could be mistaken, but a quick look tells me these articles don't have anything to do with this discussion.