diet pop?

Options

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    it's worse. I loved it but it turned out it was giving me migraines and making bloated...try la croix waters for bubbly
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Ugh, diet soda=chemical overload for your organs. They say the harm out wieghs the sugar of regular. It's all crap though. (Past Diet Coke habit and Dr Pepper lover)

Not true. Everything has chemicals and aspartame is not dangerous at all
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Ugh, diet soda=chemical overload for your organs. They say the harm out wieghs the sugar of regular. It's all crap though. (Past Diet Coke habit and Dr Pepper lover)

Where are you getting your information from? Because it's not based on facts.
    it's worse. I loved it but it turned out it was giving me migraines and making bloated...try la croix waters for bubbly

Just because it caused problems for you personally, doesn't mean it's bad for everyone.

"Horseradish really burns my nose. That means it can't be good - try mustard instead. It's better for you!"

^^See how silly that sounds?
  • missyfitz1
    missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    KSween2016 wrote: »
    http://m.huffpost.com/us/news/diet-soda-health-risks

Very bad for your health and cancer causing! Here is an article from Huffpost with more information! <3

So much is wrong with that article.

“(Disclosure notice: Jampolis [one of the authors of the study] does consulting work for a soda company that uses Stevia, but not artificial sweeteners.)”

The article’s main points:

• Despite its name, it may not really be that diet friendly.

But this is based 100 percent on correlation, and as the article itself says: “it's possible the results of these studies are intrinsically tied to the fact that overweight people may be more likely to select diet sodas in the first place in order to lose weight.” Diet soda doesn’t cause weight gain – overweight people are just more likely to choose diet soda.

• It confuses our brains.

My brain isn’t confused. Diet soda actually curbs my cravings and I track my calories so I know I’m not eating more as a result of drinking it.

• It's been linked to scary conditions like heart attack, stroke and Type 2 diabetes (though its exact role is still not totally clear).

Again, these are all based on correlations, and if overweight people are more likely to drink diet soda, people who drink diet soda are more likely to have conditions associated with being overweight. It has nothing to do with the soda itself. They are also more likely to wear bigger clothes. Do bigger clothes cause heart attack, stroke and diabetes?

• There's just so much we don't know.

This is not evidence of anything.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    This is my monday part 2 and I keep seeing this title as "diet poop."
    I need to go home.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

Just because it caused problems for you personally, doesn't mean it's bad for everyone.

"Horseradish really burns my nose. That means it can't be good - try mustard instead. It's better for you!"

I didn't say it was bad for anyone else. Just said my experience. Stop reading what isn't there goofy
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

I didn't say it was bad for anyone else. Just said my experience. Stop reading what isn't there goofy

You said "it's worse." As in worse than regular soda. And it's not.

You then told the OP to try something else instead.

I read what you wrote and responded accordingly; if you meant something else, there was no way to know that based on the information you presented.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Can you let us know who "they" is?
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

I read what you wrote and responded accordingly; if you meant something else, there was no way to know that based on the information you presented.

Did you not read the OP's question? They asked why some people say it's just as bad as regular...if they didn't want to know responses I'm guessing they wouldn't have asked the question. If you want to drink diet coke that's great, hell I'd have agreed with you 6 months ago.
  • cdstewart51115
    cdstewart51115 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Reading scientific studies in a member's only database is where I get it from. However, if you do some simple google searches to reputable organizations that test these theories, you might learn quite a lot about the garbage we are being told is 'ok' or 'good' for us. However, that being said, many people will defend their beliefs to the death so I just throw out the logical and scientific information so other's can make their own educated decisions. If I give out links, it lessens the educational search for themselves. If people really don't care about fact and science, then to each his own. I really don't think challenging and debunking another person's opinions really helps anyone.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Reading scientific studies in a member's only database is where I get it from. However, if you do some simple google searches to reputable organizations that test these theories, you might learn quite a lot about the garbage we are being told is 'ok' or 'good' for us. However, that being said, many people will defend their beliefs to the death so I just throw out the logical and scientific information so other's can make their own educated decisions. If I give out links, it lessens the educational search for themselves. If people really don't care about fact and science, then to each his own. I really don't think challenging and debunking another person's opinions really helps anyone.

That's not how burden of proof works, and the fact that you think it does is a pretty strong indication of your logic.
    That which can be asserted without evidence is dismissed without evidence.
  • singingflutelady
    edited March 2016
    Options

Funny how there are way more studies from reputable sources state there is no evidence that aspartame is harmful than those that do. I guess you missed those in your Google search.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Are your "reputable sources" mercola?
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    internet fight -shots fired-
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

That's not how burden of proof works, and the fact that you think it does is a pretty strong indication of your logic.
    That which can be asserted without evidence is dismissed without evidence.

Yep.

You make a claim as fact that you say is backed by science, you back it up with peer-reviewed research.

Them's the rules.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Did you not read the OP's question? They asked why some people say it's just as bad as regular...if they didn't want to know responses I'm guessing they wouldn't have asked the question. If you want to drink diet coke that's great, hell I'd have agreed with you 6 months ago.

Yes, I read the OP's question. And I read your response. I read a blanket statement that said "it's worse". When I rebutted your statement, you started backpedaling. I'm sorry if you meant something else - perhaps you should edit your post to reflect what you really meant.

And I don't drink Diet Coke, yuck. Diet A&W is where it's at.
  • singingflutelady
    Options

Yes, I read the OP's question. And I read your response. I read a blanket statement that said "it's worse". When I rebutted your statement, you started backpedaling. I'm sorry if you meant something else - perhaps you should edit your post to reflect what you really meant.

That and Pepsi Max for the win
  • missyfitz1
    missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options

That horseradish/mustard example was a perfect analogy. And while I disagree with your opinion of Diet Coke, I am right there with you drinking Diet A&W!
  • caffeinatedcami
    caffeinatedcami Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I like diet soda and drink it maybe once a week. I would probably drink it more often if it didn't bother my stomach so much. Artificial sweeteners can cause digestive issues, migraines, or cravings in SOME individuals but if you don't have a bad reaction then I see no reason to cut it out.
  • cdstewart51115
    cdstewart51115 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    SMH, i was not specifically pinpointing artificial sweeteners. and for clarification, I do not google search. I wonder why there are always people preferring to tear each other down because we think differently. If it is not made from nature without being processed to death, our bodies struggle to assimilate it. Did I say, don't drink it? Nope, I said it was a chemical laden and not good for us. Lord have mercy, y'all need to step back just a bit. Is this really how this forum works??