5/3 6k
    6/3 5k
    9/3 1k
    12/3 6k
    13/3 8k
    16/3 4k
    17/3 4k

35/75

Another post work 4k run and it was decent time again. Think I will try to do 2 of these each week as well as my 2 weekend longer runs :smiley:

@Elise4270 love the shoes and the cat. I have 2 cats - 1 would be off with those elastic bands to hide them for later and the other would be into box "helping" to dismantle it.

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm out of control ha ha. They look blue but are shades of gray. Brooks Launch 3.

prv0ekc9n3yp.jpg

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Daily reminder that I don't need a new pair of shoes so please stop posting before I throw another hundred dollars for a new pair
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 - that video was awesome. I shared it on FB and am hoping my husband will see it. Maybe he will see a bit of himself in it and be motivated too...
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @adrianchr92 sorry on the shoe pictures, I'm an enabler :frowning: The video was interesting. My daughter runs both track and cross country. She has to switch her form depending on which she is doing.
    @ceckhardt369 pretty pictures, nice job on the 5K. When I get a side stitch I make sure I exhale when I'm coming down on the foot that is the opposite side of the stitch always works at making it go away.
    @whatmerunning thanks for the laugh! Love the hydration video
    @runner_girl83 yeah new Brooks! I agree with @virkati regarding the treadmill vs outside
    @orphia Yeah!!!
    @ddmom0811 SCREAM! I hate those armadillos yuck!
    @rjmqk3 great job on the longer distance! I'm like @_nikkiwolf_ I pay zero attention to my heart rate
    @elise4270 nice kicks!!! I love your little kitty what a sweetie
    @shanaber I'm so sorry what frustrating news!
    @stoshew71 OMG that video made me cry
  • shanaber
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The story that @Elise4270 poated has more information than the video... I just had a hard time reading it through my tears, even though I had just watched and cried with the video! http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/mans-best-friend-helps-him-run-off-140-pounds
    @Elise4270 - your double races are this weekend? Remember the 'nothing new' at a race! Probably not a great idea to wear brand new shoes!!
    @skippygirlsmom - you are an enabler! Now I am sure I need to try some new shoes too! Brooks and I don't get along but I have never tried Sauchony.... May have to consider those even though I'm not running for a while. Hey they should arrive right before I can run again - perfect timing right? Right?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @shanaber Ya i know! its gonna be tough because i dont have a great pair of shoes. I keep telling myself its my foot not the shoes. I was going to take them ( already pack and in the trunk) but, I shall remove them to avoid a potential disaster i.e. injury. I'll leave them for my Beanie baby and stick a toy mouse in them... :( Oh and yes, races this weekend! nervous to excited! I allowed myself unlimited calories leading up to it, and I can not find anything to eat and am having a hard time hitting my minimum calorie goal. Sounds like i need some pie..

@skippygirlsmom Ohh love the shoes! I have a credit on roadrunner sports, I may snatch a pair.

I have a shoe question- Does anyone else buy shoes based on the drop? It really seems to matter for me. I ran in my brooks a few days with a 10mm drop and had cramps for days (guess that's what it was... You know any super shoes with a 6mm drop?
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I try to buy shoes that don't force me to heel strike since I don't run that way. I consider 10 mm to be a medium drop.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Quick random post from the treadmill:
    My dad took me out to eat (and made me a cake for my birthday), so I couldn't run before it got dark, and there is absolutely no street lighting where I live, and I'm landlocked by two highways, so running in the dark isn't very safe. This was the first family birthday since my Mom died from pancreatic cancer in October. I have been so very proud of my Dad. He has really come into his own, but I digress...

Some of you may remember this, but I just wanted to point out that both YoYo Man AND The Starer are at the gym, right now. It is the first time I've seen either of them in months! They're far away enough to not be annoying, which is definitely a good thing. :smile:
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    I tried Sauchony and my knees hurt. Fleet Feet recommended the Brooks and I've been happy with them. The Launch is neutral with a 10mm drop. I don't buy shoes with the drop in mind, it's funny because I wear my Sauchony's around and I feel like I'm back on my heels in them.

I brought these from Zappo, I ordered them yesterday and they were here today, with free shipping.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @Elise4270 - I definitely buy shoes based on the drop. My go to and racing shoes are all 0 drop and I try not to buy anything higher than 4mm. That means a lot of the shoes I might lust after are unavailable because they are 8 or more. I get cramps in my calves and pain in my heel (Achilles) when I go higher which honestly surprised me. I thought the issue would only happen when I 1st adjusted to the lower drop.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Mar 01      3.7      3.7
    Mar 02      3.8T     7.5
    Mar 04      3.8     11.3
    Mar 08      4.1T    15.4
    Mar 10      5.1     20.5
    Mar 12      6.5     27.0
    Mar 13      5.1     32.1
    Mar 15      3.5T    35.6 Hills, L8, 6.5MPH, 30+
    Mar 16      4.0T    39.6 Hills, L10, 6.5MPH, 35+

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @Elise4270 - I definitely buy shoes based on the drop. My go to and racing shoes are all 0 drop and I try not to buy anything higher than 4mm. That means a lot of the shoes I might lust after are unavailable because they are 8 or more. I get cramps in my calves and pain in my heel (Achilles) when I go higher which honestly surprised me. I thought the issue would only happen when I 1st adjusted to the lower drop.

It's good to know that I'm not alone. When i went from 10 to 6, i have very little problems, just the strength in my feet with a minimal type shoe (Merrell). But when I doubted the Merrell's and went back to the Brooks 10 it was impossible. I had a pair of cheap Nikes that were the best shoe ever and it was DC'd.

From a 6 to a 4, should I expect an adjustment? It looks like you can do 0-4. I guess I'll just have to try it out and see where my window is.
  • rcsmom2002
    rcsmom2002 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    3.19 miles today. Really nice day but like many have said already, my allergies are killing me! The trees are blooming, including Bradford pear trees, and man are they stinky! I’ve been sneezing nonstop since my run this afternoon.

3/1: 3.25 miles (beautiful day!)
    3/2: 2 miles (indoor track)
    3/5: 3.5 miles (treadmill)
    3/7: 3.25 miles (another nice day)
    3/9: 2.75 (outside)
    3/13: 2.42 (indoor track)
    3/17: 3.19 (Outside. Hello, allergies!)

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/16/16: ODU Big Blue 5K (Norfolk, VA)
    8/6/16: Coast Guard 5K (Portsmouth, VA)
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @rcsmom2002 I use Rx meds and OTC flonase. its really helped. I hadn't noticed the trees stink. We planted a pear tree last year, i'll have to go smell it.
  • smilelaughlove17
    smilelaughlove17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• sthoma13
    sthoma13 Posts: 63 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

@Elise4270 @skippygirlsmom

@sthoma13 what are you binge watching? I'm always looking for something good

Going to take a rest day today because my leggies are talking to me a bit today from yesterday.

I wanna know too. My daughter got me hooked on Marvel's Jessica Jones. It was awesome. Now I need more. Schittss Creek is funny.

Currently watching The Returned while I run.

Here's the latest update

exercise.png

• sthoma13
    sthoma13 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Any recommendations on good running books? I am current reading Born to Run by Christopher Mcdougall and just finished Unthinkable by Scott Rigsby- def would recommend them both!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    March Running Totals (miles)
    [2/28 – 7.78 easy]
    [2/29 – 7.22 easy + 4 strides]
    3/1 – 9.31 warm up + 8 x Yasso 800s
    3/2 – 6.02 easy
    3/3 – 15.05 easy
    3/4 – scheduled rest day
    3/5 – 17.01 2 easy, 13 MP, 2 easy
    Weekly total 62.39 vs. target 62

3/6 – 7.70 easy
    3/7 – 8.17 easy + 4 strides
    3/8 – 11.67 warm up, speed work, cool down
    3/9 – 11.03 easy
    3/10 – 8.92 warm up, speed work, cool down
    3/11 – scheduled rest day
    3/12 – 15.10 easy 2 solo, pace 8, race 5
    Weekly total 62.59 vs. target 62

3/13 – 11.00 – 4 easy, 3 MP, 4 easy
    3/14 – 5.74 easy + 4 strides
    3/15 – 7.96 easy
    3/16 – 9.41 easy
    3/17 – 9.79 easy
    3/18 – scheduled rest day
    3/19 –
    Weekly total TBD vs. target 68

March total to date – 153.88

Goal – 56, 62, or 68 miles per week, per training plan
    Expected March total - ~282 miles

Today's notes – After yesterday's easy run in the better ankle support, the ankle felt better this morning than it has all week. It still isn't right, but I'm encouraged. If I had to, I think I could run at T pace. But I don't have to, and I'm not inclined to find out the hard way that I'm mistaken. So today I got to the park early, ran 4+ miles, had a brief chat with Coach, and ran another 5+ easy miles. Came home and iced the ankle, was actually able to tolerate 10 minutes of ice water today. (The podiatrist says 10 minutes, and no more than 10 minutes.)

I'm thinking I might be ready for some speed work again a week from today. Until then, I'm just running miles to fill out the weekly totals. And if I'm not comfortable with the speed work in a week, it can wait longer. I know I can get to the finish line with just running easy in training. Even if I just get in the weekly mileage the plan calls for, that's better preparation than I had for my first marathon.

Upcoming races:
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY)
  • JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    3.17.16 - 9 m. : 1 mile warmup, 8 miles at or under 8:00 pace. Final mile tested out my max heart rate: topped out at 182 BPM.

Upcoming Runs:
    4.3.16 - Knoxville Marathon
    5.1.16 - Flying Pig Marathon
    5.29.16 - Buffalo Marathon
    6.18.16 - Grandma's Marathon