How long realistically to lose 80 pounds?

Options
2»

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I list most 84 lbs in my first year, but that was just over half of my total goal, so I had plenty left to lose and was still dropping start decent rate. In the last 12 mo I've lost about 60, firing that it gets slower the closer you get. But you are a fraction my age!
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I started at 287 on August 2015 and have lost 90lbs thats only 7 months
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I lost 85 lbs in about 14 months. I took a two month maintenance break in November and December though and started back up beginning of January.
  • mrs_madison_keane
    mrs_madison_keane Posts: 45 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm also in my 20's and I lost 67lbs in a year. Quick weight loss at first, then it slowed waaaayyy down as I approached my goal weight. Just stay consistent, eat clean/whole foods (avoiding processed junk), and your weight loss will happen!
    You can do this! :)
  • Cyndiaquino
    Cyndiaquino Posts: 72 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm still losing weight, but have lost 50 lbs in 7 months. I measure everything and log it all. I still have treats, chocolate is my guilty pleasure, lol.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    A year and a half for me. I wasn't consistent and didn't understand how calories worked for a loooong time. But, really it doesn't matter how long it takes, right?
  • Cyndiaquino
    Cyndiaquino Posts: 72 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ebaroldy wrote: »
    I too am in my late 20's with 100 pounds to lose.. I've lost 50 in 7 months, but it has slowed down to a pound a week... So as long as this keeps up I'll be down 70 pounds in a year.. You will lose a lot of weight at first, about 2-3 pounds a week on good weeks, but it slows down. Good luck!

This sounds just like me! It definitely slowed down, I was losing weight quickly in the first couple months. It's like my body was in shock mode. I was eating way too much before wanting to lose weight and cutting back really changed everything.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    how about this:
    50lbs in the first 6 months (~2lbs a week)
    25lbs in the next 6 months (~1lb a week)
    12lbs in the last 5 months (~0.5lbs a week)

Total lost: 87lbs !!

Numbers are fun :)
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    A lot depends on where you're at. If you are starting at 400, losing 80 pounds in a year would be modest. If you were starting at 200, 80 pounds in a year is aggressive.

An estimate of how fast you could reasonably lose (this is aggressive) would be:

log(GW/CW)/log(0.99)

to get an answer in number of weeks. GW and CW are your goal and current weights, and 0.99 means you're losing 1% body weight per week, which is a reasonable rule of thumb for how aggressive you can lose.
  • Tashlovesfood
    Tashlovesfood Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I need to buckle down and lose this weight! It's getting me down so much!
  • spookycomet
    spookycomet Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have lost 79 pounds. It has taken me a year almost to the day. I lost the first 65 on weight watchers and then switched to MFP. I'd like to lose another 20 and I'm giving myself a whole other year for that as this weight loss is much slower.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You have nearly the same stats that I do. I'm probably going to hit 50lbs in a year. Which is all I was ever aiming for with a few breaks and a consistent 1lb per week or a little more earlier on. I'll have another 20-30 to get to the upper end of a healthy BMI and I think at the moment that will be where I'll stay as I'm quite small for my weight at the moment but I won't know until I'm there! I expect it to take me a good 6-8 months to lose the rest because I'm just not willing to cut calories further, I need my food.

For me I was more interested in compliance than speed. Even at the upper end 2lbs was just too aggressive a goal for me, I wouldn't have lasted the distance.

But honestly, if I were getting married tomorrow I'd be pretty happy with my appearance sans those 50lbs! If you're not already, get going with strength training, either body weight, moderate weight or lifting heavy, it will make a huge impact on your body composition and make you feel as if you're progressing a lot faster than what the scales tell you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm 166cm and 216 pounds currently. Xxx

I'm 164.5cm and I was 213 pounds when I started... I was 34. I started in January and was down to 140 in December (then 132 in July). Ate 1650-1700 the whole time, exercising for 30 minutes most days then about one hour (often just an hour brisk walk). I weigh all my food though!
  • efrensgirl2015
    efrensgirl2015 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Check out a thread in Success Stories. It is called 'I lost 140 pounds in 6 months." The guy didn't use any gimicks - just calorie counted and excercise. Another great experience in that same section is Shane Lynch. He has lost 180 pounds since last June. I messaged him asking if he had surgery or used any pills and he said it was all through calorie counting, tracking evetything and daily walking.
  • Ajocal18
    Ajocal18 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I would say 80lbs in a year is a reasonable goal. I have lost 54lbs since last march and the majority of that was in the first six months. I gained 12 back over the holidays and have just got the last pound off. I'm sure if I would have stayed on track all year I would have easily lost that much.