7 Day Vegan Challenge

Options
2»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Enkprod2 wrote: »
    So I totally cheated and had a cookie. Got to work and one of my bosses got me a chocolate chunk cookie from Starbucks. Starbucks cookies are my all time weakness... But i'm not out. Tomorrow is another day and in the grand scheme of things I think I did pretty well today. feel free to check out my diary. and let me know how you did.

"Vegan Cookies Take Over Your Cookie Jar" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero is an excellent vegan cookie cookbook. When people bring treats to work, it's much easier to turn them down when I can make cookies that evening.
  • Gioeyebrow
    Gioeyebrow Posts: 404 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You guys being good vegans today?
    I sure am no meat no dairy just bomb food up until today i didnt know how many foods i ate where already vegan its so cool
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    May I join in? Been vegetarian a while but considering a long term all plant based diet. Ate vegan Monday & today. Have fallen in love with cookbook "vegan under pressure" which is all vegan pressure cooker recipes. So yum!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    depends on the type of pasta. Generally pasta is made with eggs which are an animal bi-product, but some companies like Barilla make vegitable pasta which is 100% vegan. Its also super cheap. I just went shopping yesterday and picked some up and it was on sale 6 for $8. I got tomato & carrot spaghetti and zucchini rotelle. Also as long as your sauce is a basic red sauce you should be fine.

Untrue. Many oackaged sauces contain broth.
  • Gioeyebrow
    Options
    May I join in? Been vegetarian a while but considering a long term all plant based diet. Ate vegan Monday & today. Have fallen in love with cookbook "vegan under pressure" which is all vegan pressure cooker recipes. So yum!

Yes the more the marryer i started today so i say u should be fine to start today
  • rhody_
    rhody_ Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My partner is vegan and he's been vegan for almost 10 years. I've been pescatarian for over a year now, but at home, I feel like I mainly eat vegan, so I'll try and throw some things we make onto this thread!

Check out the products made by Gardein. They are completely vegan and AMAZING. https://gardein.com/ Gardein makes beefless beef that's 120 calories (per serving-3/4 cup) with 18 grams of protein! Amazing! Every single product of theirs I have tried is legit amazing. I buy the beefless beef and meatless meatballs at BJ's, too!

I'm always a fan of Meatless Mondays for anyone who wanted to try going without animals <3
  • Isabellanx24
    Isabellanx24 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a day late... Can I still join??
  • Gioeyebrow
    Options
    I'm a day late... Can I still join??

Yea gurl its still day one 4 me so i say your fine to start today the more the merryer i always say
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for over a decade... can I still join? lol... j/k... sorry.
    So I totally cheated and had a cookie. Got to work and one of my bosses got me a chocolate chunk cookie from Starbucks. Starbucks cookies are my all time weakness... But i'm not out. Tomorrow is another day and in the grand scheme of things I think I did pretty well today. feel free to check out my diary. and let me know how you did.

"Vegan Cookies Take Over Your Cookie Jar" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero is an excellent vegan cookie cookbook. When people bring treats to work, it's much easier to turn them down when I can make cookies that evening.

This is the best cookie book, I swear, but pretty much any cookbook by those two is phenomenal.
  • Gioeyebrow
    Options
    Aaaaaaaaah! these vegan food is cursed i went over my calorie limit for the first time its a lie
  • raulsgirl75
    raulsgirl75 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian been vegan back and forth . Let's do this! I do want to go vegan again just struggling when I'm out .
  • rosecropper
    Options
    Took a plum cherry flax seed smoothie to work, thank you ninja blender! Made red lentil & rutabaga stew with green beans en papillote- both done together in the pressure cooker for dinner. Supper will likely be some tofu & artichoke dip with crudités later. Really wanted to go out to the bar & forget dieting tonight but glad we stayed in and kept it vegan :)
    What did you have?
  • rosecropper
    Options
    fluffygio wrote: »
    Aaaaaaaaah! these vegan food is cursed i went over my calorie limit for the first time its a lie
    When I first gave up meat I gained lots of weight because no meat usually means lots of sweets & chips & pasta. Cooking from scratch has helped me to get back on track, when I actually follow through with my good intentions!
  • janejellyroll
    Options

This is the best cookie book, I swear, but pretty much any cookbook by those two is phenomenal.

I just got "Protein Ninja" by Terry Hope Romero and I'm loving it.
  • DaddieCat
    Options

I just got "Protein Ninja" by Terry Hope Romero and I'm loving it.

I haven't read that one yet. I'm still working through my copy of veganomicon. I also believe that I just uncovered/figured out the process that tofurky uses to make their sausages.... so yeah. I might be able to do it cheaper than buying them, lol.
  • blbarb2
    blbarb2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to follow a vegan diet while doing low carb high fat? I'm not a meat eater and have been struggling, but we do use heavy whipping cream and eggs. I would appreciate all ideas or information. Thanks in advance.
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    blbarb2 wrote: »
    Is it possible to follow a vegan diet while doing low carb high fat? I'm not a meat eater and have been struggling, but we do use heavy whipping cream and eggs. I would appreciate all ideas or information. Thanks in advance.

It wouldn't be impoosible, but it wouldn't be convenient. You'd have to find and eat a protein source of choice that is low carb, eat very high protein, and very high fat. Carbs tend to be my "filler" that I eat once I've hit protein and fat goals. I don't tend to worry about carbs too much, but then again, at my intake level, it's still a considerable number of carbs.

Provided you ate enough protein and fat, you could do it, but it woudn't be good for micronutrient intake, in my opinion. The total diet would be out of balance and not optimal for health... but as previously stated, that's my opinion.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    blbarb2 wrote: »

Is this like a ketogenic diet? There are some vegan keto people, but it takes a *lot* of time and effort. I know one person who is doing it for health reasons. There is a community on reddit (veganketo). Not sure how active it is, but you can probably find some posts describing it there.
  • yannie100
    yannie100 Posts: 18 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Can I join even though I'm already vegan?
  • cynthia_luv2006
    cynthia_luv2006 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Although I'm joining late but I'm in. Vegan here we go