Which WATERPROOF Heart Rate Monitor?

Options
I love swimming - but MFP tells me I loose 800kcals for 80mins..... seems lots to me! So I need a waterproof heart rate monitor and someone to tell me how they work please?

Thank you in advance!

C x

Replies

• mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    Mine is waterproof. polar ft4. I really like it, except I wish I could see calories burned while I'm working out. I have to stop it for that. But I can pause it to see how long I've been working out, so if I've done an exercise before and know what I burn doing it, I can get a general idea of what I'm burning
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    HRMs don't work well for calculating burn while you're swimming. I believe the reason is something like the water pressure balances out your blood pressure, so you register a much lower rate for the same amount of effort.

A decent front crawl rate DOES burn 10 calories a minute. Work on 6 per minute for breast stroke and 8 for back stroke. If you're brave (or stupid like me!) butterfly burns 15 a minute.
  • chels1605
    chels1605 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    ohhh i would want to see how many calories I have burnt as I am doing it - it would egg me on to do more!!
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have a TImex training HRM and I use it for swimming too.
  • BobsySpud
    BobsySpud Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have the Potal FT7, and that DOES show the calories burned during the exercise. I use mine for swimming every week - and it registers about 6-7 cals per minute of breaststroke. I love my FT7, would recommend it to anyone!
  • froggzy1015
    froggzy1015 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Mine is waterproof. polar ft4. I really like it, except I wish I could see calories burned while I'm working out. I have to stop it for that. But I can pause it to see how long I've been working out, so if I've done an exercise before and know what I burn doing it, I can get a general idea of what I'm burning

I have the FT4 and I can watch my calories burned while I work out, I just hit the up bottom or down on the right of the watch. You aren't suppose to press the buttons underwater though. I wouldn't think you would need to stop yours to do see them!
  • froggzy1015
    froggzy1015 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT4 and love it (only used it 3 times, lol) I'm doing water aerobics tonight so I'm going to see what it tells me I burned! :)
  • chels1605
    Options
    HRMs don't work well for calculating burn while you're swimming. I believe the reason is something like the water pressure balances out your blood pressure, so you register a much lower rate for the same amount of effort.

A decent front crawl rate DOES burn 10 calories a minute. Work on 6 per minute for breast stroke and 8 for back stroke. If you're brave (or stupid like me!) butterfly burns 15 a minute.

so is the MFP out? I say I do 80mins of breastroke general and it says i burn over 800kcals which i know is a bit high.... i weigh 139lbs.

is thre no HRM that works with swimming?
  • mshaw02
    mshaw02 Posts: 4
    Options
    I have the Polar FT-40 and love it.
  • BerryH
    Options
    http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/heart_rate_monitor_faq.html#swim

"Generally, HRMs do NOT work (read the heart rate) in the water due to inability to transmit the radio (FM) waves under water. They are designed to transmit in the air. It is possible to get a good reading in the pool only when your chest area, and the transmitter, is clear of the water. This is the same for all chest strap type HRMs."

"OK - you're still reading so you really do want heart rate feedback from your swims.. then it has to be the Polar RCX5 - this heart rate monitor has been specially developed with a DUAL frequency transmitter - one for OUT of WATER that uses Polar WIND digital signal to prevent intereference... another for IN THE WATER which uses a more traditional analogue signal that works perfectly in the water. You still have to wear a chest strap, but you should be able to download a clean heart rate curve after your pool session. "
  • chels1605
    Options
    Eww - the ugliest one is the Polar RCX5!!

Why would they make HRM waterproof if they didn't work? Im dubious to spend so much money on one for it not to work with the only exercise I consistently do!
  • BerryH
    Options
    Eww - the ugliest one is the Polar RCX5!!

Why would they make HRM waterproof if they didn't work? Im dubious to spend so much money on one for it not to work with the only exercise I consistently do!
    My triathlete friends keep theirs on for the entire event but just track the run and cycle. Swimmers tend to stand up and get a reading after each batch of elngths, but obviously that's only for training zones, not calories. Don't forget you get wet doing all sorts of other things that don't involve being underwater - running in the rain, kayaking etc.

You're probably better off just using the adjusted estimated burn, especially if you want a rough guide as you go, as the HRM's require downloading and it's not recommended that you push buttons while in the water.

As that HRM site says: "Forget about your heart rate while swimming. A swimmer never reaches the same levels of cardio intensity that a RUNNER or CYCLIST does - the chances of cardio OVER training in the pool are VERY slim. It is our considered opinion that a heart rate monitor for swimming is just not necessary - better to improve stroke technique etc. "
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 that you can wear for swimming.. just don't use the watch under water. Make sure to rinse wash the strap after every swim and you should be alright.
  • chizzledfrmstone
    Options
    This thread just made me realize something really important.

There seems to be a misconception that if something is water-resistant it can be used in the water. The purpose of making something water-resistant is so you can take it in the water or get splashed with water and not worry about water getting in and damaging the watch. Some chronograph diver watches are water-resistant but you can't unscrew the pushers to use them underwater.

It would be like having a car that is water-resistant. You could crash it into a lake and not worry about water getting into the car but driving a car in water is very impractical.