Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does weight loss increase your triglyceride levels?

Khovde07
Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
I found two articles on this. One seems like woo and the other seems a little more trustworthy. But I'm still not convinced that weight loss/fat loss would increase your triglycerides.

I get my blood tested yearly for work. I've lost about 20 pounds between blood draws and my triglyceride levels jumped. I'm going to discuss it with my doctor at my next appointment, but that's not for awhile yet and I'm not convinced that the doc will know (this is a very rural clinic).

I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a thread of people trying to figure out why my triglycerides jumped, because I have no idea. I've researched for days and I can't come up with anything. According to my searches, I'm doing everything right to lower my cholesterol. The only explanation is either my genes decided to go crazy in the last few months, the test was a fluke, or the weight loss thing might be true.

Help a girl out?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I have read that (early) weight loss can temporarily raise triglycerides, and I have seen it happen to other people. If you retest in a few months, it will probably be a better number.
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    I really hope not because my levels are one of the reasons I am back on this horse! LOL Mine were 460 on my last visit and she told me to get them down or I was getting put on meds. She told me to lay off fried and fast foods and the extra sugar so that is what I am trying to do. I've lost 18lbs in the last 6 weeks. I'm not trying to go that fast though.
  • Wickedfaery73
    BTW I love your profile pic =) and Are you a Firefly fan?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    I had a Cholesterol test late last year which gave an unusually high value. I was asked to fast prior to the blood was taken but they neglected to tell me not to exercise so I was tested after a gym session of 1hr strength and 15mins HiiT.

When the results came back adn I chatted to the nurse about them she told me that the exercise could give a high reading: effectively my high cholesterol reading was due to my own fat being metabolised.
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Very interested in this thread. I started exercising and working out in December, and am down 23 pounds so far. I have scheduled a complete physical for early May with fasting labs (I'm expecting to be down around 10 more pounds by then, give or take.) I'm very hopeful that my triglycerides and cholesterol will have improved since they were last measured in 2014.
  • nvmomketo
    edited March 2016
    When fats are in the blood stream, it is in the from or triglycerides. Weight loss, or exercise will mobilize fats so it makes sense that triglyceride tests could be affected.

Triglycerides are often raised by high carb diets. The sugars and starches will cause triglyceride levels to rise in many. As a general rule, fats will lower triglycerides, and adequate protein won't raise it either. Laying off foods made from grains or flours, or with high sugar content will help.

ETA, yes I am. :)
  • Khovde07

Oh I love Firefly! But I feel like I'm missing a reference... A smiley face of dandelions?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    I really hope not because my levels are one of the reasons I am back on this horse! LOL Mine were 460 on my last visit and she told me to get them down or I was getting put on meds. She told me to lay off fried and fast foods and the extra sugar so that is what I am trying to do. I've lost 18lbs in the last 6 weeks. I'm not trying to go that fast though.

It would be a temporary effect, if it is, indeed, an effect.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    It easy - too many carbs! :)
  • Wickedfaery73
    Khovde07 wrote: »

Oh I love Firefly! But I feel like I'm missing a reference... A smiley face of dandelions?

The question about Firefly was actually meant for you Khovde07 but I think Nvmomketo thought it was for them. Sorry that is my fault!
    Khovde07 I looked at your profile and saw your quote. "No power in the 'verse can stop me" which made me think of Firefly It's the only fandom I can think of at the moment that says "'verse" I love it!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Triglycerides would be expected to reduce with weight loss. Stored fat is released in the form of free fatty acids ( FFA / NEFA ) and the concentration of these may change a little depending on diet.
  • Khovde07

The question about Firefly was actually meant for you Khovde07 but I think Nvmomketo thought it was for them. Sorry that is my fault!
    Khovde07 I looked at your profile and saw your quote. "No power in the 'verse can stop me" which made me think of Firefly It's the only fandom I can think of at the moment that says "'verse" I love it!

Yes that is a Firefly quote! I love that show! I'm kind of a super geek haha.
  • Wickedfaery73

Yes that is a Firefly quote! I love that show! I'm kind of a super geek haha.

I hear ya LOL me too, I love Firefly, Doctor Who, Supernatural ... pretty much anything along those lines
  • nvmomketo
    Lol. I wondered why you asked that... Guess I should have asked. :D:blush:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Found a paper about cholesterol increase with weight loss, full text is paywalled http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2035468

Am J Clin Nutr. 1991 Jun;53(6):1404-10.
    The transient hypercholesterolemia of major weight loss.
    Phinney SD, Tang AB, Waggoner CR, Tezanos-Pinto RG, Davis PA.
  • halfninja2
    halfninja2 Posts: 35 Member
    Before I lost weight, my triglycerides were always very high (500+ at one point). Cleaned up my diet, started exercising on a stationary bike, and lost 65 lbs. Triglycerides are great now. Alcohol and high carb foods/meals can affect triglyceride levels, is why you're supposed to fast for at least 12 hours before they test them. That's info from both my doctor and our wellness program folks where I work.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    I just watched fat sick and nearly dead and pretty sure it is lowered by losing weight

I think watching "fat sick and nearly dead" would lower my appetite.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    yarwell wrote: »
    Found a paper about cholesterol increase with weight loss, full text is paywalled http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2035468

Am J Clin Nutr. 1991 Jun;53(6):1404-10.
    The transient hypercholesterolemia of major weight loss.
    Phinney SD, Tang AB, Waggoner CR, Tezanos-Pinto RG, Davis PA.

Had a family member experience that effect - except it resolved after about two months of continuing to diet. The person has to have frequent blood tests because of a non-related medical condition or we'd have never known.
  • Miles_to_Go
    Miles_to_Go Posts: 48 Member
    My triglycerides were initially high ( multiple hood draws). I lost 45 lbs. using MFP and my triglyceride levels are now normal, as well as cholesterol ( had been intermediate high) and blood glucose ( had also been trending high). Hope that helps.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited March 2016
    This hasn't been the case for me-mine went down as I lost weight and now that I'm in maintenance it's stabilized at around 49 (last two blood work panels put it in that range). But, I have heard that weight loss can cause temporary issues with bloodwork-I'd wait 2-3 months and then get them done again, I bet it will have evened out by then :)