What happens when you eat all your calories for breakfast?

Options
New to tracking. Just wondering what the advice is when you've "accidently" eaten most of your calories before 9:00 a.m. For some reason, I woke up and had a little binge which leaves me with only 200 calories. Should I try to find a 200 calorie meal, split it up to 100 calorie meals, or just start over tomorrow? I imagine I am going to reach a point today where I feel pretty hungry. What advice would you give for correcting on a day where you're out of calories, or nearly so?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Eat as sensibly as you can for the rest of the day. You will be over for the day, but you don't have to throw away the whole day and eat junk. Try to get in some extra exercise to help with your Calories Out side of the equation. And then, yes, start over again tomorrow.

We all have done this. The only time it's a true failure is if you let it be one. Learn from it and move forward.

You can do this!
  • Runningforlove
    Runningforlove Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    What was your calorie goal?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Log what you ate this morning and eat sensibly for the rest of the day. No need to restrict yourself to just 200 calories, but don't go overboard.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating a healthy lunch and dinner, try to get a little exercise in and let it go. There will be days that you go over your allotted calories but you should not make yourself pay by being hungry. Just shake it off and move forward, tomorrow is another day. Don't beat yourself up. Good luck!
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone above and if you need those extra calories then get in some exercise to offset what you are eating.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    Do some exercise to get more calories to eat, and eat sensibly for the rest of the day.

The bigger question is what is your calorie goal for the day? Perhaps it is too low, that is, you may have set your weight loss goal per week too high.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Yep, what other people have said: eat lightly, perhaps, but continue to eat as your would for the rest of the day. You'll be over your calories for today, but tomorrow you can look back on the experience and do better.
  • alyna_work
    alyna_work Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Snack on apples, they are fairly low on calories
  • chris2016ned
    chris2016ned Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I'll not worry too much about staying in mfp goal, but will try not to sabotage.

@runningforlove , my calorie goal for weight loss without exercise is 1350. It's embarrassing how much/fast I can eat that. Tracking has been very eye opening!
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Just keep going through the day. But also, take a good look at what you did eat this morning and see if you can come up with lower-calorie alternatives.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I had to reduce my 500 calorie whole foods breakfast smoothie down to 360 calories. It was good food, but then I had too few for the rest of the day. I used to go too far over on Saturday mornings with eggs and fixins. Now I think before I prepare. 1/2 teaspoon of butter tastes as good as a tablespoon. I don't have to have grits. It's a work in progress. For you today, get in a nice long walk and eat lean but healthy today.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It would help to know what your goal is, and how many pounds you are trying to lose per/week. If you were set at 2 pounds/week for example, you would be planning for a 1000 calorie deficit. If 1 pound, you were planning a 500 calorie deficit. You can use some or all of that deficit to plan the rest of your day ,and get back to it tomorrow if you are concerned that 200 calories is going to be too difficult.
  • skorsk
    skorsk Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You starve the rest of the day . Lesson learned for tomorrow...
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I just hit the gym and gun it. I've gotten away with eating 1000 calories for breakfast numerous times by just having a lot of discipline and exercising.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    krisonkor wrote: »

no...not a good idea.

you have a couple choices...eat reasonably for the rest of the day and burn some of it off...

or

Just eat reasonably.

I did that a couple weeks ago...actually I was over my daily with just breakfast...I ate normally and did a bit of extra movement that day.

one day does not a diet make...in other words one day isn't going to kill your diet...it's the long term.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

No. If you try this likely you'll eat twice as much for breakfast tomorrow because you'll be so hungry from not eating today. And then the cycle continues.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    It's definitely eye opening to start tracking and see what a 'normal' day is. Stay the course for the rest of the day, don't give in to more bad choices throughout the day just because you're already over. :smile: May your breakfast tomorrow have better choices!
    And definitely don't starve yourself, that won't help.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Plenty of day left to get some calories burned through exercise. I sometimes allow myself to eat up to maintenance for the day and move on.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    ames105 wrote: »
    I would suggest eating a healthy lunch and dinner, try to get a little exercise in and let it go. There will be days that you go over your allotted calories but you should not make yourself pay by being hungry. Just shake it off and move forward, tomorrow is another day. Don't beat yourself up. Good luck!

This plus 1^^^
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options

I don't think you can starve after you had (almost) all your calories for the day. Nothing is gonna happen healthwise if you dont' eat anymore for the rest of the day. It will be just your discipline vs the cravings/bad eating habit.

I ate all (and beyond) my daily calories in one meal around noontime once a week. Made little different in my wt loss. Just a bit testy for my discipline.