40lbs weightloss noticeable?

Options
2»

Replies

• HappyBlues
    HappyBlues Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am 45 pounds down and just now really starting to feel thinner. I hadn't thought I looked all that different though till I looked at a picture at my heaviest, it was very obvious then that I had lost weight. I still have another 60 or so to go though so...
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    That would be 20% of your body weight lost - yes - it will be noticeable. I would expect it to be very noticeable to someone who has not seen you for a while.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm at 40 lbs (started at 290) and people have noticed, although it's sort of random.

They notice more when I wear something more fitted. I also haven't lost any weight recently, but have lost inches (re: heavy lifting) and those inches were much more noticeable to people. I think maybe it's the definition in muscle that they notice?

I guess all I'm saying is that it's sort of random what people notice. I wouldn't set any expectations on it - you just do you.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    do you have progress pictures? Look at pics from your top weight and take a current pic. if you notice others will because usually you are the last to see it because you are so critical.

At the end of the day, how do you feel? Some people notice my weight loss, some don't, and I think some(those who I use to be the same weight as) just don't say anything --I suspect because of feelings but I know, and that's good enough.
    Congrats on your loss thus far..that's a big accomplishment in itself.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    People notice, they just don't comment on it usually. Either way lose weight for yourself and your health... give yourself time. Work on your confidence..that is what will catch most peoples eyes...but by that time, you will be too cool to care what others think ;)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,982 Member
    Options
    I have lost 37 pounds so far and a few people have commented, but mostly they are people that I see at the park where I walk so they have really seen my progress. And my husband mentions it. I agree that lots of people won't mention it because they think it might seem rude. And I agree with the posters who suggest to work on your posture because that really helps and buy a couple of new outfits to wear. Clothes that are too big actually make you look heavier. That's always hard for me because I want to wait to spend the money when I have lost all of the weight, but you will look much better in well fitting clothes. Just be prepared for them to say you look great but not necessarily mentioned that you've lost weight.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    That's about when I noticed it on me, was going from the 250's to the 200's or so. Keep in mind that your friends may notice it but not say anything, so don't let it get you down if they don't comment on your weight loss.

Hi thanks for the reply!
    When you went down to 200lbs was it a major change?? Like people were shocked?

No, it wasn't a major change, honestly. It sounds like a lot, but when someone has a lot to lose, it's not as noticeable. I noticed (at that point I was down from a size 20 to a size 16), and my guess is that other people noticed, but again, people frequently do not talk about weight loss. Additionally, even having lost 50lbs, I was still 50lbs overweight.

By 70 to 80lbs down, some of my relatives would comment (positively).

I'm now right around 95lbs down, and within 5 of my personal goal weight. At this point, 10lbs either way is really noticeable.

Again, if they don't say anything, don't let it get you down. Weight loss is still a touchy subject for some people.
  • lulukat918
    lulukat918 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    People can notice 10 but tend to be afraid to say anything
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work I'm sure they will notice but folk are strange sometimes, they could notice and not mention it...
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I lost 35lbs (200-165) and either my friends were too afraid to say anything or they didn't notice. I still have 30lbs to go though, so I sure hope they notice and say something about it when I'm done! :D
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40 and no one has noticed. I've been down this road before....at 50 lbs people start asking if I've done something to my hair! lol YES....I'VE PUT IT ON A SMALLER BODY!!! It's easier said than done to not let it get you down.