Helping the DH Gain, while I want to lose?

I feel like the title explains the TLDR version.

I'm 5'4, he's 6'2. I want to lose weight (have that plan all in order) and he's about 180-185 lbs and pretty skinny. What I have learned for him is that he should be targeting about 3,000 calories a day and lifting heavy. ie) Stronglifts.

His concerns are that strong lifts in itself seems 'too easy' my reply was that it starts easy but will escalate pretty quickly if you follow the program (As I understand??)

For his job, he needs strength and cardio. I suggested the m/w/f split with strong lifts and some HIIT interspersed,

Please tell me if there is some major misinformation that I've communicated to him and if there are any other tips/tricks. Additionally, any suggestions on how I can manage to keep cutting if he's literally eating double my calories per day? Heh.

Thanks a bajillion.

Replies

• carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    TaraTall wrote: »
    I feel like the title explains the TLDR version.

I'm 5'4, he's 6'2. I want to lose weight (have that plan all in order) and he's about 180-185 lbs and pretty skinny. What I have learned for him is that he should be targeting about 3,000 calories a day and lifting heavy. ie) Stronglifts.

His concerns are that strong lifts in itself seems 'too easy' my reply was that it starts easy but will escalate pretty quickly if you follow the program (As I understand??)

For his job, he needs strength and cardio. I suggested the m/w/f split with strong lifts and some HIIT interspersed,

Please tell me if there is some major misinformation that I've communicated to him and if there are any other tips/tricks. Additionally, any suggestions on how I can manage to keep cutting if he's literally eating double my calories per day? Heh.

Thanks a bajillion.

I don't think you've misinformed him, but why do you think you can't manage your own eating just because he's able to eat more than you? You both have different goals, so I wouldn't worry too much about what he's eating.

• TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    My concern is more along the lines of temptation. If he's under goal for the day and can have his treat of choce to up the calories, there I sit watching him eat a tub of mint chocolate chip ice cream.
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    My husband gets a ton more calories each day than I do. I've learned to just do me and let him do him. Sometimes I save enough calories for an after dinner snack for myself, but even if I don't, my plan is mine and his is his.

That may not be what you're looking for, but it's a mindset that works for me.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Those are the breaks. Sorry, it just is. My 6'3 BF eats and drinks more beer than I can and still maintain 190lbs. To maintain 5'11 and 150lbs I have to resist urges ALL THE TIME.

You have to do what's right for you. He has to do what's right for him. There's nothing we can tell you that will make this easier. You just have to find in yourself to deal with it.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    I currently eat significantly more than Mrs StealthHealth but I eat all my extra calories during the day and we share a pretty similar evening meal. I will admit that occasionally I have a little extra for supper but only occasionally. Weekends we are usually so busy that she doesn't notice my extra snacks.

FWIW - i think your information on what he has to do to gain is spot on.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Those are the breaks. Sorry, it just is. My 6'3 BF eats and drinks more beer than I can and still maintain 190lbs. To maintain 5'11 and 150lbs I have to resist urges ALL THE TIME.

You have to do what's right for you. He has to do what's right for him. There's nothing we can tell you that will make this easier. You just have to find in yourself to deal with it.

This. Even if it means getting up and walking out of the room whilst he enjoys his delicious bowl of mint chip ice cream.