5'8" Women weight goal?

Options
It seems like everywhere I look the goal of 5'8" women is 115-145, why does this seem incredibly low to me? It seems like I am the only one who has a goal that is 160! I'd be happy with 165 too, but 160 is my ultimate lowest of low goal. Now I'm starting to second guess myself, I'm I setting the bar too low? Am I supposed to weigh less than that?
I use the excuse that I have a large frame, but I guess I'm not really sure?
A lot of 5'8" ladies' starting weight is my goal weight!!

Replies

• Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I'm 5'8 and my goal weight is 160...I can't imagine weighing any less than 150-155. I don't think it'd look good on me.
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I'm 5'8 and my goal weight is 160...I can't imagine weighing any less than 150-155. I don't think it'd look good on me.

Awesome to hear! haha! Yay! and yeah exactly, I remember when I was younger I got down to 155 and my Mom took one look at me and said "Girl! You're getting too skinny!"
  • Shevaun619
    Shevaun619 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 5'9" and I think 160 is an awesome goal weight. That's way lower than my goal weight but I think it has a lot to do with your actual frame and how you carry weight. I'm more bottom heavy, There's no getting rid of these hips and this booty that God has given me so I'm just gonna make them look the best that they can :smile: . Also, I wouldn't be too concerned with the number on the scale. That's not the end-all be-all determining factor on your health. I'm stronger and have a lot more endurance than I used to. Just went to the doc and my blood work and blood pressure are great. Either way, you're travelling in right direction to become the best version of yourself, and that in itself is the best goal to achieve :wink:
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'81/2'' and I think it just depends on where your journey starts. I was 160 with a BMI MUCH higher than it should have been. I worked out and logged everything and got down to 135 right before my wedding, and my BMI was closer to 19% which is very healthy. I maintained at about 140 for a while before getting pregnant and I hope to get down to that weight once the baby is here. I don't think 140 is too small, it all depends on your goals, where you start and what you want for yourself.
  • Paiger816
    Paiger816 Posts: 129 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and my goal is somewhere between 135-140. It kinda depends how I feel at that weight. I've been a slim size 2 all my life, and gained around 30 lbs after graduating college. I'm about 152 lbs right now, so we'll see how I feel when I get down to goal. I'm planning on evaluating how I feel when I hit goal and really focusing on toning after that. I know I won't get back down to a 2 (my hips decided to widen at around age 24) but I'd be thrilled to get down to a size 4.
  • Danimri84
    Danimri84 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and my goal is 150-160. I got down to 177 two years ago and I was very confident that losing just 20 more would have been perfect for me. Sadly I gained a lot of weight back, but I am slowly losing again. I'd say for me, 150 would be the lowest I could aim for.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8". I was 120 in my teens and early 20's. But now I'm a grandma and down from 197 early this year to 187 this morning. (Yeah!). My goal is 150. That will put me at a BMI of 22-23. I have an Alaska cruise tour next Summer 2017 and want to be thin for that; but mainly I just want to be thin to be as healthy as possible. My grands need me around!
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and my goal is 140lb, because that's the weight I normally am. At that weight I am a UK size 10/12, closer to 12. After an accident my weight crept up to 168lb, and for me that looks quite chubby. I'm currently 152lb. I think it depends on body shape though, I have seen pics on here of people my height close to 160 and they look amazing whereas I just look podgy. I'm a pear shape so my thighs always seem to look thick whatever weight I am!
  • missyfitz1
    missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'8". I can't imagine 115 pounds being healthy at all at this height, even for someone with a very slight bone structure. When I lost weight years ago, I got down to 145. I found that 150 was more comfortable for me, and I was able to easily maintain 150-155 for years. Now that my weight has crept up again, my realistic goal is 150, but I would like to see if I can maintain 145 for a bit and see how that feels. But between 150 and 155 I was very happy with how I looked and felt.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and my current weight is 138. My original goal was 155-160, but I ended up getting down to 144 and just kept going. I don't want to get below 135 because then my face starts to look 'gaunt' and aged.
    I'm currently a US size 6 or 8, depending on the cut and style.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have my sights set on 160. But I'm anxious to see if I will want to continue to lose at that point. I will get back to you in about 7 months. LOL
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'8" (42 yrs old) and have been maintaining around 138-140lbs for two years now. I lost about 15 lbs and feel like this is the perfect weight for me. Since I wasn't technically overweight it was not as much about losing weight, it was reducing my BF%.
  • Paiger816
    Paiger816 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    MamaFunky wrote: »
    I'm 5'8" (42 yrs old) and have been maintaining around 138-140lbs for two years now. I lost about 15 lbs and feel like this is the perfect weight for me. Since I wasn't technically overweight it was not as much about losing weight, it was reducing my BF%.

I want your stomach. <3 (I mean that in a super non-creepy way!) You look fab.
  • cookmtn
    cookmtn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Want to point out that 5'8" , 160 lbs with a lot of muscle looks much different than 160 lbs with low muscle mass. My goal is 160 also, but at age 47 and currently 215 lbs, my goals have tempered. :) It may change once I get there, but I love to cook and eat, so there's that!
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    cookmtn wrote: »
    Want to point out that 5'8" , 160 lbs with a lot of muscle looks much different than 160 lbs with low muscle mass!

This. It's why I don't set scale goals anymore. I'm 5'9" and currently hovering at 150, yet I still have more body fat than I would like. I also get the comments all the time if I'm sick and that I should stop losing. Do what is healthy for you, and disregard what others are doing because it's your body you are living in, not theirs.

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and I am thinking anywhere between 143 to 150 is good. I was skinny at 130 before and now that I'm older I don't feel I need to be at the lower side of normal anymore to feel comfortable and healthy.
  • futuremilf2015
    futuremilf2015 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    5FT 8 INCHES , 135LBS
  • shannie018
    shannie018 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 8" and my goal is 165lbs.
  • futuremilf2015
    futuremilf2015 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    5FT 8 INCHES , 135LBS

I PREFER BEING SLIM WITH JUST A LARGE BUTT AND BOOBS. I like the look and how my body feels.
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I've noticed those posts too and I have always wondered what that weight would look like on me. I can understand frame and body fat can play a role, although many of the women would describe their shape as medium or large... I am a little under 5'8 and I an currently 169 lbs. My goal weight is between 155 and 160. Beyond that my face and upper body looks frail. There is a website called my body gallery which shows examples of women with the same height and weight which helps put body frames in perspective.