Need help making vegetables interesting

Options
Maerce
Maerce Posts: 9 Member
I normally just pick up a carrot or cucumber and eat that, but am looking for healthy and tastier ways to eat my veggies :)

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I fry mine in chilli and garlic. I love spicy things.

I also like them with curry on them and roasted in garlic oil too.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    IMHO most root vegetables are better roasted in olive oil (red peppers are also great this way and you can cool and eat them chilled). Red cabbage is great shredded and stir fried in coconut oil. Cauliflower works well roasted in a little oil. Tomatoes are great as salsa side.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Oven roasted or grilled. So good. You can use any spice you like on them. My favorites are evoo, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes and evoo with dill.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    You could peel the cucumber, cut in thin slices and shred the carrot with a potato peeler, add a bit of vinegar, salt, pepper, onion powder and oregano and eat it like a fresh salad, add chopped onions or feta if you like
  • JSN370
    JSN370 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Maerce wrote: »
    I normally just pick up a carrot or cucumber and eat that, but am looking for healthy and tastier ways to eat my veggies :)

Hey Maerce,
    I hear you!
    Try this out, super quick, easy and tasty
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTTFpDeBLnc
  • Justintyme328
    Justintyme328 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Mashed cauliflower is where it's at
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Asparagus with a high quality balsamic vinegar is tasty!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Growing up my Mom always boiled veggies with a little onion, salt and pepper. Great with green beans, squash, zucchini, peas, beans, almost anything. Corn always got butter. She would boil or steam cauliflower and melt american cheese over it. She would slice cucumbers or can beets with sliced onion, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Today I love stir-fries, anything roasted in the oven or grilled. Spaghetti squash is great for lots of sauces. I will post some recipe links below. I hope you find something you like.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/03/broccoli-with-sweet-soy-glaze.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/02/microwave-garlic-mashed-cauliflower.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/10/asian-spaghetti-squash.html
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I usually add bacon. Bacon makes everything better.
  • willworkoutforwine
    willworkoutforwine Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I love to roast veggies - zucchini, squash & mushrooms - in a little bit of olive oil, salt, pepper and basil. When they are almost done, I sprinkle just a little bit of parmesan cheese on them. So good!

I also like to make baked sweet potato fries at home. I don't like sweet potatoes most of the time but these are good! I found a bag of pre-sliced sweet potato fries at the grocery store (refrigerated, near the ready to steam bags of broccoli, etc., in the produce section), tossed them in a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper then baked them on a cookie sheet.

You can do a lot with spaghetti squash - I'm going to try the Asian recipe posted above ASAP. Zoodles are great, too.

I'm still a big fan of raw veggies for lunch because they are easy to pack and eat. Cucumbers dipped in salsa, a variety of veggies tossed in a little bit of fat free or low cal Italian dressing or dipped in reduced fat sour cream ranch dip (made at home) are my faves.
  • e_v_v
    e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Dry Ranch dressing mix is unbelievable on veggies! That is by far my favorite addition (besides butter, of course). I also love Lawry's seasoning salt.
  • sandraetrevino
    sandraetrevino Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use the food processor to make cauliflower rice...add shredded carrots...onions..peppers...and add JUGO MaGGIE...it's a type of sauce...it tatste lile Chinese veggies!
  • sandraetrevino
    sandraetrevino Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also take advantage if we bbq on a Sunday... and grill squash...onions...peppers...and mushrooms!!
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots, olive oil, dill, salt, pepper, bake until done and squeeze fresh lemon before serving!

Fresh green beans, olive oil, bake on 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes salt pepper and add nuts before serving (almonds, cashews, walnuts or macadamia nuts)
  • Chaagy
    Chaagy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Try drinking them in smoothies.

I find I can get a lot of veggies, without a lot of effort (Sometimes, I just don't feel like eating them).

1) I usually start with some fruit - frozen blueberries, frozen strawberries, frozen banana
    2) Add in a little milk or almond milk, soy milk, cashew milk (my current favourite)
    3) And then come the veggies: a bit of cucumber and carrot is a good start...
    Then add in a lot of dark leafy greens (spring mix, spinach, chard, asian greens) or cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, napa cabbage, bok choy, cauliflower).
    4) You can sweeten it a bit more to your liking with sugar, honey, agave, or whatever floats your boat.

I find it's especially good in the summer, when I'm usually feeling less hungry, but want to make sure I'm getting some nutrient rich veggies in my diet.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I love veggies. I bake them with onions, garlic, and a little EVOO. My go to is buying the big bag of coleslaw mix from the big box stores and i saute onions in a little oil, then I add the cabbage and the carrots if I feel like eating carrots. I found an Asian sesame dressing that I also add to the cooked cabbage. This week I added bean sprouts. Tastes just like chinese take out.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Any green - spinach, swiss chard (my favorite) or collard green. First saute' onion, garlic and jalapeno or red pepper flakes, then add the washed and chopped greens. Add veagetable or chicken stock and salt/pepper.

Roasted butternut squash with a bit of butter and brown sugar. Microwave the whole squash for a minute or two before peeling, makes it super easy. Peel, de-seed and chop into 1 inch chunks. Roast and serve as a side dish. or pair butternut squash with black beans - great combo!

Roast eggplant, peppers if you like and red onion. Make a vinaigrette of lemon juice, olive oil and serve over a healthy grain, add chickpeas, roasted vegetables, chopped parsley, feta, and pine nuts. Amazing!!

Mashed cauliflower steam then in a food processor add in anything! a bit of butter, cream cheese or a spoonful of sour cream, roasted garlic, parm cheese, chopped chives or parsley. Bake with breadcrumbs/parm on top. Fantastic!
  • knittingbee928
    knittingbee928 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    No one has mentioned hummus, so I'll add that. Hummus is really healthy and it's easy to just dip the veggies in. It also keeps you fuller, longer.