My Cholesterol level is 282. How can I reduce without medication?

Options
I don't want to take cholesterol lowering drugs.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The majority of people will see improvements in cholesterol just by losing weight and adding exercise. Based on genetics, some have specific dietary approach that influence results. So step 1 would be losing weight and exercise. There is a good amount of research that would support fibrous foods and unsaturated fats, especially those high in mono unsaturated fats, poly unsaturated fats and omega 3s can improve the results.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    The majority of people will see improvements in cholesterol just by losing weight and adding exercise. Based on genetics, some have specific dietary approach that influence results. So step 1 would be losing weight and exercise. There is a good amount of research that would support fibrous foods and unsaturated fats, especially those high in mono unsaturated fats, poly unsaturated fats and omega 3s can improve the results.

This. ^^^^^ Losing weight, adding in 30 minutes of daily exercise, eating items like oatmeal, beans, apples, etc.

Just remember, some people are genetically prone to this. I have friends who have maintained a normal weight throughout their life with cholesterol in the 300 & 400s while I am still overweight and my cholesterol is in the 100s. If the diet and exercise approach does not work for you, you may need the medication. Kudos for trying to do it without the meds first. Good luck!

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    my husband lowered his by eating fish instead of meat, chicken, cheese and eggs. We made more veg and added nuts and seeds too. We ate more lentils, white beans, barlotti beans with rice or pasta and salads. Best wishes.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Take a close and honest examination of your diet. Does it consist of alot of higher fat foods? Some things like breads, rolls, biscuits, etc can contribute to that high cholesterol number too. Also, do you know the particle size and density of your LDL (bad cholesterol), HDL (good cholesterol). Do you consume alot of alcohol (more than a few drinks per week. Without being able to see your food diary, I can only ask questions and give you general ideas.
    By changing your diet, you can greatly impact that number. Eat more lean meats (chicken breast/turkey/ lean cuts of beef) and fish. Broiled, roasted, or grilled is a better way to cook them. Eat more vegetables. Switch from whole eggs to egg whites, or "Eggbeaters". Switch from higher fat cheeses to lower fat ones, i.e. swiss. skim milk over whole milk....
    Also.. Exercise is very important. Studies show that people who run 21+ miles a week not only reduce their LDL levels, they also increase their HDL levels. Strength training is good for maintaining and building muscle so you burn more calories through out the day.
    Of course, there's the genetic piece of the puzzle. If that is a factor, you may not be able to escape it entirely. But, start with diet and exercise since you CAN control those factors.
    Something to keep in mind... changing your diet doesn't mean you'll never be able to have any of the foods you love. It just means you'll have to be smart about it and just have less of it. I still eat bacon every Sunday. real bacon.. not the soy or "turkey" kind :D
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol level alone isn't very informative. Can you post your entire lipid panel results?
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, and oatmeal for breakfast. once a week we have a potatoe and peas meal. We also switched to extra virgin cold pressed olive oil for all our fats from oil, like on veg, salads and frying.
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Whole food, plant-based diet. It's the diet former President Bill Clinton follows to reverse his heart disease. There's a good documentary about this style of eating called Forks Over Knives. Or for an even more in-depth look read the book The China Study.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    earth_echo wrote: »
    Whole food, plant-based diet. It's the diet former President Bill Clinton follows to reverse his heart disease. There's a good documentary about this style of eating called Forks Over Knives. Or for an even more in-depth look read the book The China Study.

Forks Over Knives is the most biased, unscientific documentary I've ever seen. The China Study is a correlation study and a pretty weak one at that, and does not in any way prove causation. One can have an extremely healthy heart as well as healthy cholesterol and blood pressure levels eating large amounts of meat as long as they are at a healthy weight and consume adequate fiber. Learn the actual science, don't just cling to things because they agree with your preconceived notions...
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I'll also recycle one of my answers to another post about what I've seen decent evidence for in terms of improving cholesterol:

First, if you're overweight, losing weight will tend to help. It will particularly help with triglyceride levels and LDL levels, which will lower total cholesterol. Extremely low calorie diets have a tendency to make HDL worse, but you shouldn't be doing one without a doctor's supervision, anyway.
    Second, Exercise will help. There is more evidence for cardio in that realm over strength training, but a little bit of anything is better than a whole lot of nothing. It is particularly strong in helping raise HDL.
    Third, eliminated trans fats to any extent possible. In particular, trans fats from hydrogenated oils are clearly and strongly associated with cholesterol. Natural trans fats occurring in some cheeses and meats are mixed.
    Fourth, reduce saturated fats. The long term evidence of saturated fat in cardiovascular disease and long term cholesterol is a bit of a mixed bag, but there is clear evidence in the short term of it raising cholesterol. The biggest effect it has might be that every calorie of saturated fat is less calories from whole grains, mono unsaturated fat, and polyunsaturated fats. If you regularly eat sour cream, a quick substitution is Greek yogurt, replacing saturated fats with protein.
    Fifth, oatmeal, and possibly other unprocessed whole grains with high amounts of soluble fiber. There is evidence that oatmeal binds up bile released by the digestive system, forcing the body to replace it. The key ingredient to make bile is ... cholesterol, so your body has to use it up making new bile.
    Sixth, plant stanols by eating more plants, soy in particular. Stanols are molecules in plants that work similar to cholesterol, so in humans they might trigger receptors that make your body think you have a high amount of cholesterol already, so that it doesn't need to make more.
    Seventh, for low HDL, nuts, seeds, fish, flax, and things that contain omega 3's are noted to have some effects. In some rare instances a lack of some dietary protein might be the culprit.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I'll also recycle one of my answers to another post about what I've seen decent evidence for in terms of improving cholesterol:

First, if you're overweight, losing weight will tend to help. It will particularly help with triglyceride levels and LDL levels, which will lower total cholesterol. Extremely low calorie diets have a tendency to make HDL worse, but you shouldn't be doing one without a doctor's supervision, anyway.
    Second, Exercise will help. There is more evidence for cardio in that realm over strength training, but a little bit of anything is better than a whole lot of nothing. It is particularly strong in helping raise HDL.
    Third, eliminated trans fats to any extent possible. In particular, trans fats from hydrogenated oils are clearly and strongly associated with cholesterol. Natural trans fats occurring in some cheeses and meats are mixed.
    Fourth, reduce saturated fats. The long term evidence of saturated fat in cardiovascular disease and long term cholesterol is a bit of a mixed bag, but there is clear evidence in the short term of it raising cholesterol. The biggest effect it has might be that every calorie of saturated fat is less calories from whole grains, mono unsaturated fat, and polyunsaturated fats. If you regularly eat sour cream, a quick substitution is Greek yogurt, replacing saturated fats with protein.
    Fifth, oatmeal, and possibly other unprocessed whole grains with high amounts of soluble fiber. There is evidence that oatmeal binds up bile released by the digestive system, forcing the body to replace it. The key ingredient to make bile is ... cholesterol, so your body has to use it up making new bile.
    Sixth, plant stanols by eating more plants, soy in particular. Stanols are molecules in plants that work similar to cholesterol, so in humans they might trigger receptors that make your body think you have a high amount of cholesterol already, so that it doesn't need to make more.
    Seventh, for low HDL, nuts, seeds, fish, flax, and things that contain omega 3's are noted to have some effects. In some rare instances a lack of some dietary protein might be the culprit.

+1
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

+1

Yep, solid advice right there.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,642 Member
    Options
    nutritionK wrote: »
    The Cholesterol in the diet comes from the animal products.

Dietary cholesterol has very little, if any, effect on blood cholesterol.

Unless it's genetic, OP, my advice will always be to eat more eggs. :)

<----not a doctor, it just worked for me

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    If you are overweight, lose weight.
    Exercise regularly.
    Cut back on fast digesting carbs like things made with flour and sugar, especially eaten alone.
    Up your intake of Omega-3 fatty acids.