Beyond Diet vs Fast Metabolism diets

Options
I've been hearing a lot about these new diets where you eat more of the right foods and lose weight like in Beyond Diet and Fast Metabolism. I'm curious if anyone has had experience with these kind of diets and if they work. Thanks!

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the specifics of either. However, a good rule of thumb that I've always used....

Anything that is called "The __________ Diet" is probably based on either a misinterpretation of or outright ignorance of science in order to sell a book or product. Specifically, I'd be wary of anything called a "Fast Metabolism" diet, as our metabolisms aren't engines we can significantly throttle up or down based on what we're eating.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    There are no "right" foods that make you lose weight no matter how much you eat, or whatever (it sounds a bit like magic, huh). All diets that work, work the same way, by making you eat fewer calories than you burn. If you eat fewer calories than you burn, you lose weight.

If you can keep it up. Therein lies the problem of all diets, and the potential for making big, big money form repeat customers.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    amym_02 wrote: »
    I've been hearing a lot about these new diets where you eat more of the right foods and lose weight like in Beyond Diet and Fast Metabolism. I'm curious if anyone has had experience with these kind of diets and if they work. Thanks!

Can you (or anyone else) operationally define "the right foods"?
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    http://doingspeed.com/fat-loss/so-much-*kitten*/

Book 2 – The Fast Metabolism Diet by Haylie Pomroy (I absolutely do NOT recommend it)

I looked through this book over the weekend. Again, this was at the request of someone who I felt the need to respond to. The number of silly statements is amazing, which I will highlight in a minute. Keep in mind that there is NOT a SINGLE reference in this book. Booo. The author makes all kinds of definitive statements on how the body “really” works when it comes to weight loss, here is a sampling;

“Because eating less actually makes the situation worse. When your metabolism is too slow, you, you’ll store lettuce as fat, and you certainly won’t burn any fat”

“It has been proven that a body in starvation mode will first access muscle for fuel, and not fat”

“Metabolic Myth #3: Losing weight is simply calories in, calories out”

“Calories are a lie”

“Rule #1: you must eat five times per day, 35 times a week”

“You may not skip any meals or snacks”

“Rule #2: You must eat every 3 to four hours, except when you’re sleeping”

“Rule#3; You must eat within 30 minutes of waking everyday”

“But you must eat something within the first 30 minutes so your body doesn’t have to run on fumes. Also, please don’t exercise before you put something in your stomach. I tell my clients, ‘Don’t fast and then go fast” You might think you’re burning more fat this way, but in reality it is one of the worst things you can do to your metabolism”

“Rule#9: Meats must be nitrate free…Because nitrates do this by slowing down the breakdown of fat in the meat, they also slow down the breakdown of fat in the body”

“Rule#2 No Corn”

“Rule#3 NoDairy… Fat free dairy aggressively slows down fat metabolism”

“Rule#4 No Soy”

“Most of my clients lose anywhere from half a pound to a pound a day, and sometimes a little more”

“Never get up and exercise in the morning before you’ve eaten breakfast or at least a snack”

I don’t have page numbers for these because I read through it at the library and took a few pictures of the statements that really stood out, but the pics did not have the page numbers in them and I wasn’t going to waste my time and go back and get them. If you don’t believe these are direct quotes from the book you can go check for yourself.

My head hurts from all of this nonsense. Most of these statements are completely false and a couple of them are not totally false but very misleading. I am not going to dismantle all of the nonsense now, but will just review one of her silly statements. Let’s take a look at

“Rule#9: Meats must be nitrate free…Because nitrates do this by slowing down the breakdown of fat in the meat, they also slow down the breakdown of fat in the body”.

There is plenty of research on the effects of nitrates on human physiology, such as;

1-Food sources of nitrates and nitrites: the physiologic context for potential health benefits.

2-Nitrate in foods: harmful or healthy?

3-Acute blood pressure lowering, vasoprotective, and antiplatelet properties of dietary nitrate via bioconversion to nitrite.

4-Sodium nitrite: the “cure” for nitric oxide insufficiency.

Here is the funny thing from reading the research, not a word about the ability of ingested nitrate to inhibit the ability of the body to breakdown fats in the digestive track. On a side note, if it did do this, which it likely does not, it would mean that LESS fat would be absorbed, similar to Alli (orlistat), which would mean LESS calories would be available from the food. Hence, it could help with weight loss as Alli has been shown to do, but with some possible side effects which are related to the information that Haylie has been giving us (hint; it is expelled from the rectum). Additionally, when nitrates are eaten;

“In the proximal small intestines, nitrate is rapidly absorbed with high bioavailability (100%)” (1).

So nitrate is absorbed relatively early in the digestive process and there is NO evidence that it inhibits fat breakdown once it is absorbed (1-4). What may be the funniest thing about avoiding nitrates from meats is the fact that vegetables contain much higher amounts of nitrates. For example, the following are the average nitrate contents of

hot dog 9 mg/100 gr
    bacon 5.5 mg/100 gr
    spinach 741 mg/100 gr (nearly 82 times more than hot dogs and 134 times more than bacon)
    mustard greens 116 mg/100 gr
    broccoli 39.5 mg/100 gr
    tomato 39.2 mg/100 gr (1).

The authors of the paper state;

“Approximately 80% of dietary nitrates are derived from vegetable consumption” (1)

From this information, if Haylie where right about her nitrates from meat inhibit fat breakdown, then she should be screaming from the rooftops to avoid vegetables. While working on this I decided to reach out to Haylie on her Facebook page. Here is our brief exchange;

Hi Haylie,
    regarding my nitrate question. You stated;

“Haylie Pomroy: Author of The Fast Metabolism Diet On the diet, we’re trying to avoid taxing your liver — chemical nitrates force your liver to spend time processing them, instead of fat. It’s the same reason we avoid all chemical ingredients on the diet”
    Like · Reply · 1 · 13 hours ago

I then asked;

Would you then suggest avoiding many vegetables, such as spinach, bok choy, lettuce and carrots, because they contain many times MORE nitrates than nitrate treated meats?

Haylie Pomroy: Author of The Fast Metabolism Diet Those are natural nitrates -we’re talking about chemical nitrates

Like · Reply · Yesterday at 11:46am

Her “liver” response is nothing like her reason she stated in her book which was about the direct inhibition of fat breakdown on the treated meat. Nevertheless, the “liver” thing is without merit. Her “natural” vs “chemical” nitrates is just ridiculous. There is no evidence that the nitrates found in meats are different than the nitrates found in vegetables.

This information is not top secret stuff. I did not need special clearance to be able to access this information. That is what is so frustrating about silly *kitten* like this. A few clicks on Google and PubMed and voila, you can have access to some useful information on any topic (there are a bunch of things to keep in mind when reading information and research but that is for another day).

Seriously, this women is spewing enough *kitten* that the amount of methane it omits could contribute to climate change. What is even worse is she was a recent guest on the Dr Oz show, which Dr Oz, both explicitly and implicitly, supported this type of nonsense. All of these “Have to” and “Must” statements without a shred of evidence. Unexceptable!

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    Seriously, this women is spewing enough *kitten* that the amount of methane it omits could contribute to climate change...

Agreed. Not one "point" she made in the above material you quoted is supported by science. Not one. I got a headache from rolling my eyes so hard as I read all that garbage. It's like she just collected every diet myth ever made and rolled them into one.

What is even worse is she was a recent guest on the Dr Oz show, which Dr Oz, both explicitly and implicitly, supported this type of nonsense...

Please tell me you're not surprised that Dr. Fraud, errrr, Oz, would support such woo. :D It fits right in with all the other useless mumbo-jumbo garbage he pushes.

I'm not familiar with the specifics of either. However, a good rule of thumb that I've always used....

Anything that is called "The __________ Diet" is probably based on either a misinterpretation of or outright ignorance of science in order to sell a book or product. Specifically, I'd be wary of anything called a "Fast Metabolism" diet, as our metabolisms aren't engines we can significantly throttle up or down based on what we're eating.

Exactly. There is no diet/way of eating which offers any sort of "metabolic advantage". No matter how you choose to eat, it comes down to calories in < calories out in terms of weight loss. The people who write these books/diet plans are just scammers looking to make money by touting yet another "magic" way to lose weight.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    http://doingspeed.com/fat-loss/so-much-*kitten*/

Book 2 – The Fast Metabolism Diet by Haylie Pomroy (I absolutely do NOT recommend it)

I looked through this book over the weekend. Again, this was at the request of someone who I felt the need to respond to. The number of silly statements is amazing, which I will highlight in a minute. Keep in mind that there is NOT a SINGLE reference in this book. Booo. The author makes all kinds of definitive statements on how the body “really” works when it comes to weight loss, here is a sampling;

“Because eating less actually makes the situation worse. When your metabolism is too slow, you, you’ll store lettuce as fat, and you certainly won’t burn any fat”

“It has been proven that a body in starvation mode will first access muscle for fuel, and not fat”

“Metabolic Myth #3: Losing weight is simply calories in, calories out”

“Calories are a lie”

“Rule #1: you must eat five times per day, 35 times a week”

“You may not skip any meals or snacks”

“Rule #2: You must eat every 3 to four hours, except when you’re sleeping”

“Rule#3; You must eat within 30 minutes of waking everyday”

“But you must eat something within the first 30 minutes so your body doesn’t have to run on fumes. Also, please don’t exercise before you put something in your stomach. I tell my clients, ‘Don’t fast and then go fast” You might think you’re burning more fat this way, but in reality it is one of the worst things you can do to your metabolism”

“Rule#9: Meats must be nitrate free…Because nitrates do this by slowing down the breakdown of fat in the meat, they also slow down the breakdown of fat in the body”

“Rule#2 No Corn”

“Rule#3 NoDairy… Fat free dairy aggressively slows down fat metabolism”

“Rule#4 No Soy”

“Most of my clients lose anywhere from half a pound to a pound a day, and sometimes a little more”

“Never get up and exercise in the morning before you’ve eaten breakfast or at least a snack”

I don’t have page numbers for these because I read through it at the library and took a few pictures of the statements that really stood out, but the pics did not have the page numbers in them and I wasn’t going to waste my time and go back and get them. If you don’t believe these are direct quotes from the book you can go check for yourself.

My head hurts from all of this nonsense. Most of these statements are completely false and a couple of them are not totally false but very misleading. I am not going to dismantle all of the nonsense now, but will just review one of her silly statements. Let’s take a look at

“Rule#9: Meats must be nitrate free…Because nitrates do this by slowing down the breakdown of fat in the meat, they also slow down the breakdown of fat in the body”.

There is plenty of research on the effects of nitrates on human physiology, such as;

1-Food sources of nitrates and nitrites: the physiologic context for potential health benefits.

2-Nitrate in foods: harmful or healthy?

3-Acute blood pressure lowering, vasoprotective, and antiplatelet properties of dietary nitrate via bioconversion to nitrite.

4-Sodium nitrite: the “cure” for nitric oxide insufficiency.

Here is the funny thing from reading the research, not a word about the ability of ingested nitrate to inhibit the ability of the body to breakdown fats in the digestive track. On a side note, if it did do this, which it likely does not, it would mean that LESS fat would be absorbed, similar to Alli (orlistat), which would mean LESS calories would be available from the food. Hence, it could help with weight loss as Alli has been shown to do, but with some possible side effects which are related to the information that Haylie has been giving us (hint; it is expelled from the rectum). Additionally, when nitrates are eaten;

“In the proximal small intestines, nitrate is rapidly absorbed with high bioavailability (100%)” (1).

So nitrate is absorbed relatively early in the digestive process and there is NO evidence that it inhibits fat breakdown once it is absorbed (1-4). What may be the funniest thing about avoiding nitrates from meats is the fact that vegetables contain much higher amounts of nitrates. For example, the following are the average nitrate contents of

hot dog 9 mg/100 gr
    bacon 5.5 mg/100 gr
    spinach 741 mg/100 gr (nearly 82 times more than hot dogs and 134 times more than bacon)
    mustard greens 116 mg/100 gr
    broccoli 39.5 mg/100 gr
    tomato 39.2 mg/100 gr (1).

The authors of the paper state;

“Approximately 80% of dietary nitrates are derived from vegetable consumption” (1)

From this information, if Haylie where right about her nitrates from meat inhibit fat breakdown, then she should be screaming from the rooftops to avoid vegetables. While working on this I decided to reach out to Haylie on her Facebook page. Here is our brief exchange;

Hi Haylie,
    regarding my nitrate question. You stated;

“Haylie Pomroy: Author of The Fast Metabolism Diet On the diet, we’re trying to avoid taxing your liver — chemical nitrates force your liver to spend time processing them, instead of fat. It’s the same reason we avoid all chemical ingredients on the diet”
    Like · Reply · 1 · 13 hours ago

I then asked;

Would you then suggest avoiding many vegetables, such as spinach, bok choy, lettuce and carrots, because they contain many times MORE nitrates than nitrate treated meats?

Haylie Pomroy: Author of The Fast Metabolism Diet Those are natural nitrates -we’re talking about chemical nitrates

Like · Reply · Yesterday at 11:46am

Her “liver” response is nothing like her reason she stated in her book which was about the direct inhibition of fat breakdown on the treated meat. Nevertheless, the “liver” thing is without merit. Her “natural” vs “chemical” nitrates is just ridiculous. There is no evidence that the nitrates found in meats are different than the nitrates found in vegetables.

This information is not top secret stuff. I did not need special clearance to be able to access this information. That is what is so frustrating about silly *kitten* like this. A few clicks on Google and PubMed and voila, you can have access to some useful information on any topic (there are a bunch of things to keep in mind when reading information and research but that is for another day).

Seriously, this women is spewing enough *kitten* that the amount of methane it omits could contribute to climate change. What is even worse is she was a recent guest on the Dr Oz show, which Dr Oz, both explicitly and implicitly, supported this type of nonsense. All of these “Have to” and “Must” statements without a shred of evidence. Unexceptable!

Beautiful :blush:
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    None of these diets are new. None of them are scientifically supported. Most of them have definitive "must" or "cannot" statements that are based on the authors opinion, not fact. Pomroy calls calories a lie while simultaneously creating a low, potentially very low, calorie diet full of dictates. She also advocates enemas as the only way to intake coffee.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    That ridonkulous "Fast Metabolism Diet" is incredibly complicated. It's all this Phase 1, 2, 3 nonsense with strict rules. An acquaintance on Instagram tried this diet, jumping through ENDLESS hoops... it was painful to watch... and surprise, surprise: said acquaintance quit the diet, started eating like a person from Planet Earth again (albeit in a calorie surplus) and this person is now weighs significantly more than when she started the diet. Too bad.

What galls me to no end is how rich these diet-book authors become. Sigh.
  • PhoenyxRose
    PhoenyxRose Posts: 70 Member
    Options

AnvilHead wrote: »
    Seriously, this women is spewing enough *kitten* that the amount of methane it omits could contribute to climate change...

Agreed. Not one "point" she made in the above material you quoted is supported by science. Not one. I got a headache from rolling my eyes so hard as I read all that garbage. It's like she just collected every diet myth ever made and rolled them into one.

What is even worse is she was a recent guest on the Dr Oz show, which Dr Oz, both explicitly and implicitly, supported this type of nonsense...

Please tell me you're not surprised that Dr. Fraud, errrr, Oz, would support such woo. :D It fits right in with all the other useless mumbo-jumbo garbage he pushes.

Exactly. There is no diet/way of eating which offers any sort of "metabolic advantage". No matter how you choose to eat, it comes down to calories in < calories out in terms of weight loss. The people who write these books/diet plans are just scammers looking to make money by touting yet another "magic" way to lose weight.

Now all I can think of is Dr. Oz going "Do not look at the man behind the curtain". Even his name makes him seem like a fraud.
  • leebeebumble
    leebeebumble Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My mom's friend is on her 3rd round with the FMD. She's lost 35 pounds, her husband has lost 45 and their daughter has lost 20, which is all she needed to. So my mom and I are giving it a try. I'm in my 3rd week of the diet and have lost just a hair over 10 pounds. I have learned to eat healthier, some people can do that without the diet, congrats to them, I can't. I needed structure, I needed something more black and white, with no shades of grey to muddy up my eating. I'm one of those people that if I have no rules, I'll think 1 piece of See's Candy is okay, and then 6 pieces later I'm kicking myself! I've read part of the book, but mostly just following the meal plans, and it's working for me! I'm still eating meats that may not be on her list, I'm drinking my Cherry Coke Zero, but I think it's one step at a time. I cut out fast food, sugars, and many other things that are on her no no list like corn. But I'm finding it enjoyable for the most part. My girls are eating healthier, at least for dinner and snacks, and I've noticed my skin and nails are really improving! I understand how people can be skeptical, I know I was. It seems so restrictive! However, I'm never hungry, If I'm hungry, I just eat something on the list, fruit, nuts, veggies, whatever. So how can a diet that cuts out processed foods, which are known by pretty much everyone for being horrible for you, be a bad way of eating? I think you just need to read the book and decide for yourself if it's something that would work for your lifestyle. All I can tell you is, I'm doing it, it's working for me and I don't ever feel hungry, and my enormous raging sweet tooth? Yep, all but gone!
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    So how can a diet that cuts out processed foods, which are known by pretty much everyone for being horrible for you, be a bad way of eating? !

There are about 1,000 threads with people posting scientific evidence and support that processed foods are indeed not bad for you (with the possible exception of being a little more calorie laden and salty). That's not even addressing the fact that "processed" can mean anything.

Please do a search. This is not a cold, hard fact at all.
  • vivmom2014
    Options
    So how can a diet that cuts out processed foods, which are known by pretty much everyone for being horrible for you, be a bad way of eating? !

There are about 1,000 threads with people posting scientific evidence and support that processed foods are indeed not bad for you (with the possible exception of being a little more calorie laden and salty). That's not even addressing the fact that "processed" can mean anything.

Please do a search. This is not a cold, hard fact at all.

+1

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    The Fast Metabolism Diet is just a very low calorie diet with a fancy name. On some days, she has you eating as few as 800 calories and never more than 1200. Avoid it like the plague.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    My mom's friend is on her 3rd round with the FMD. She's lost 35 pounds, her husband has lost 45 and their daughter has lost 20, which is all she needed to. So my mom and I are giving it a try. I'm in my 3rd week of the diet and have lost just a hair over 10 pounds. I have learned to eat healthier, some people can do that without the diet, congrats to them, I can't. I needed structure, I needed something more black and white, with no shades of grey to muddy up my eating. I'm one of those people that if I have no rules, I'll think 1 piece of See's Candy is okay, and then 6 pieces later I'm kicking myself! I've read part of the book, but mostly just following the meal plans, and it's working for me! I'm still eating meats that may not be on her list, I'm drinking my Cherry Coke Zero, but I think it's one step at a time. I cut out fast food, sugars, and many other things that are on her no no list like corn. But I'm finding it enjoyable for the most part. My girls are eating healthier, at least for dinner and snacks, and I've noticed my skin and nails are really improving! I understand how people can be skeptical, I know I was. It seems so restrictive! However, I'm never hungry, If I'm hungry, I just eat something on the list, fruit, nuts, veggies, whatever. So how can a diet that cuts out processed foods, which are known by pretty much everyone for being horrible for you, be a bad way of eating? I think you just need to read the book and decide for yourself if it's something that would work for your lifestyle. All I can tell you is, I'm doing it, it's working for me and I don't ever feel hungry, and my enormous raging sweet tooth? Yep, all but gone!

Are you going to be on this diet forever? If not, what happens when you stop? Will you be able to maintain the weight loss with what you've learned being on the diet?
  • raselle6969
    raselle6969 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who swears by the Haylie Pomroy diet. She lost 8 lbs in 3 weeks, but she does the diet because she says she feels better emotionally by sticking to it. I was considering doing it too.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Great way to sell books and make lots of money for the author.
  • leebeebumble
    Options
    Psychgrrl, Once you hit your goal weight, most people stick with the foods they've been eating on the diet, but eat them in any order they want.I'm finishing up my first round, and have lost 14.4 pounds! I feel good, never feel run down at all, and I'm never hungry. I calculated my calorie intake on phase 2, which is the lowest calorie phase, and I'm eating about 1224 a day, that's not insanely low I don't think. On phase 3, I'm eating about 1685 a day, and still loosing.
  • leebeebumble
    Options
    I have a friend who swears by the Haylie Pomroy diet. She lost 8 lbs in 3 weeks, but she does the diet because she says she feels better emotionally by sticking to it. I was considering doing it too.

I have noticed I feel better, my mood is better, my nails and hair are WAY better, and even my daughters will eat most of the things I've cooked on this plan. I'm enjoying the time I spend with them talking about nutrition, and cooking our meals. It's been great for me, it may not be for everyone, but I like the structure of the plan and once you get the hang of it, it's fairly easy to fallow, though the first week it kinda crazy just making sure you are eating the things you can!
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Well I have 2 days left. Down 15 lbs so far great energy good sleep and feel great! Everyone is different. My average calorie range is between 1500 and 1700. My one major complaint is eating such HUGE portions. Other than that it was easy. A couple of days and your into the next thing. Giving up my tea was hard but not too hard it was only for 28 days. I'll start the next round after a week of experimenting.

Choose hat works for you is all I have to say
  • vivmom2014
    Options
    Well I have 2 days left. Down 15 lbs so far great energy good sleep and feel great! Everyone is different. My average calorie range is between 1500 and 1700. My one major complaint is eating such HUGE portions. Other than that it was easy. A couple of days and your into the next thing. Giving up my tea was hard but not too hard it was only for 28 days. I'll start the next round after a week of experimenting.

Choose hat works for you is all I have to say

Boy, is that ever a subjective statement.