How to break up with coworker walking buddy?

Options
123457»

Replies

• mellyo77
    mellyo77 Posts: 214 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    blah
  • nicolemarie999
    nicolemarie999 Posts: 91 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I don't have time to go through all the posts to see if this was suggested, but there are ways to make the walk harder for you with out changing the pace so you could still walk with your friend. You could buy a weighted vest or ankle and wrist weights. You could jog ahead for a minute, turn around and jog back, then walk with your friend for two minutes and repeat. You could jog a little ahead and then stop and do a strength move until your friend catches up ( I.E. squats, modified push-ups if the ground is dry, lunges, planks, etc) and then go back to walking for a bit, then repeat. You can do walking lunges at intervals. Add Nordic poles.
    Good luck!
  • gawworthington
    gawworthington Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    It looks like you got a lot of feedback. I was in the same boat with a co-worker. Since you have multiple breaks in a day why not state you would like to run for some of the breaks and walk with her at least once a day. You both burn calories.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    If you value her feelings and her friendship - you can certainly go with a less "intense" workout - and do a more intense workout when you're alone, can't you?

This
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I totally get where you're coming from. I started doing private lessons with my instructor, and a few months in someone wanted to join and do semi-privates. We were around the same skill level, so I agreed b/c it was saving us both money. However, I had the time to put in extra work outside of the private, where she did not due to her having multiple jobs. I totally get it, but I did make the decision that once I ran out of semi lessons, I was going to go back to only doing privates b/c my skill level had outgrown hers and I was stagnating It was actually causing me to feel like I was wasting money, not saving it. And private pole lessons are not cheap, so it was no longer worth it to me.

The difference is, we aren't great friends. We met at the studio, did a series or 2 together and were friendly, and I didn't see her for a few months b/c I decided to go to privates instead of repeating a series like the other girls in the class did. I hadn't seen her in months when we decided to do semis together. I like her, but we don't hang out outside of pole class or semi-private lessons.

If you feel like you aren't benefiting from it anymore, think of ways that might include her. I think C25K was mentioned, and that's a great way to include her and help you both take it to the next level. The weighted vest is also a great idea.

Or you could ask her opinion on how she feels you both can take the lunch time workout to the next level.

You might surprise yourself that you find you miss the companionship and find that those companion walks are motivating you to stick to your goals if you decide to just go off by yourself.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    OP, I'm kind of perturbed by your judging yourself as "more serious" than she is just because you lost 60 lbs and she lost 30. It takes a boat load of serious to lose 30lbs in 6 months - maybe she's content at taking it off more slowly knowing this is a marathon, not a sprint. You both are making excellent progress at your own pace.

Agreed. 30 pounds in 6 months isn't exactly evidence of "poor choices" with regards to diet!

• WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    If she's offered to let you go ahead, go ahead. problem solved.

And yet it took us 4 pages to get to very logical response.
    / thread

Honestly, once I read that I wasn't sure what the point of the OP was. I came to the conclusion the OP wanted to do some humble bragging at the expense of a "friend".

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I guess I have very different friendship dynamics. This would my imagined conversation:

Me: Hey, I'm starting C25K (or whatevs), so my program is now run/walking MWF. Tues and and Thurs I'll be just walking for lunch. You want in? Or we can just do our things and meet back at the water cooler.

Them: Sounds cool. I'll have to look into that program. I'll let you know tomorrow if it's something I want to do, too. You rock!

Me: No, YOU rock! Love ya, girl.

See? Easy.

That's pretty much what I would do as well.