PCOS and Weight Loss

Options
Hello All,

I'm looking for any women who have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) and either have lost weight successfully, or are trying to (like me). It's an everyday struggle. I'm on month 8 of being on a 1200-1500 calorie restriction, working with a trainer, exercise 5 days a week at least, and do 10k steps every day. I'm down 27lbs but having to lose more than 100lbs and only losing 27 so far is quite discouraging. Especially with all that I'm doing.

Anyone going through the same or similar struggle?

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    May I ask how confident you are in your calorie counting? In general, it sounds like you are on the right track though, 27 lbs is great progress. It is about 1 lb per week which sounds very reasonable. With more than 100 lbs to lose, it could have been perhaps a bit more, which is why I would think your calorie counting is most likely not accurate. But still, it is good progress.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to a dietician? PCOS patients often respond well to lower carb/ low GI diets.

While waiting for an appointment with a dietician, you might look into something like the South Beach Diet, that starts you off with a severe limitation to help eliminate cravings, but then teaches you to slowly add back in whole grains while observing their effect on you. In this way, you can determine what works best for you.
  • mommybehealthy
    mommybehealthy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I severely limited my carb intake for the first 7 months and just recently added back Rice and potatoes (only at lunch). I went completely gluten free, but my trainer felt I should add back rice and potatoes mainly because I was limiting too much. I'm down 6lbs in the past month (which makes the total 27) so I guess it's going in the right direction....just super duper slow.
  • leticiafriend86
    leticiafriend86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat with PCOS, and the best advice I have is to just keep going. Seriously. Every little bit of weight loss will all add up in the end. Also, try to work towards smaller goals and celebrate when you achieve those goals so that losing 100lbs isn't so overwhelming.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, Hypothyroidism and am gluten intolerant. I have found that for myself dairy is a big issue. In a commercial farming operation cows are given artificial hormones to keep them producing milk, I am apparently sensitive to these hormones. Through trial and error I learned that when I eat dairy, whether it's low fat Greek yogurt or cheese, or milk on a regular basis I have more PCOS symptoms and I experience more fluid retention. I had 'fallen off the wagon' for several months, and had been eating dairy regularly. I had also not been measuring my portions accurately and ate a few gluten containing foods. I had maintained my weight through the holidays then in the past several weeks I gained about 9 lbs. back. My periods had become irregular and my joints were aching which is a signal for me of systemic inflammation. Starting last Monday I cut all dairy products, increased my protein, started weighing and measuring everything and have been very careful about gluten. I have lost 7.4 lbs. as of today. I have a Fitbit and have it set up to adjust my calories up or down based on activity and have ended most days a little over my calorie goal and am still losing. I am quite certain that a high percentage of my weight loss is due to fluid retention/inflammation but some of it is absolutely fat loss.

I have experimented with cutting out dairy along with gluten a few times and each time I have the same positive result. Did I mention my TOM started on Thursday and it was actually 'normal'? I don't find that I need to limit my carbs to severe level, just the gluten containing ones. It might be worth a try.
  • jenmomto4
    jenmomto4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have pcos and hypothyroid. I'm 36 with 5 kids. I have 60 lbs to lose. I start lose weight and quit and gain it all back. I really need to stick to something .
  • mommybehealthy
    Options
    @leticiafriend86 you are exactly right. Every little bit helps. I know I should be happy with my progress thus far, and I think I will start back looking at smaller goals. 100lbs seems so far away.
    @StacyChrz - other friends of mine keep telling me to give up dairy. I know that since giving up gluten I do feel MUCH better, but I have found that when I'm eating more dairy I do feel more bloated, more achy etc. I have lots of issues with inflammation as well. That's awesome on your weight loss thus far. I may have to give in and start cutting out the dairy. Thanks for sharing!
    @jenmomto4 I completely understand losing weight quitting and gaining it all back. In my case I lose, then gain back 10 more than what I lost. This is the first time I've refused to stop, and have only gained back a max of 5lbs at any given point in the past 8 months, but it's so incredibly frustrating :(

Thanks all for responding!
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    @leticiafriend86 you are exactly right. Every little bit helps. I know I should be happy with my progress thus far, and I think I will start back looking at smaller goals. 100lbs seems so far away.
    @StacyChrz - other friends of mine keep telling me to give up dairy. I know that since giving up gluten I do feel MUCH better, but I have found that when I'm eating more dairy I do feel more bloated, more achy etc. I have lots of issues with inflammation as well. That's awesome on your weight loss thus far. I may have to give in and start cutting out the dairy. Thanks for sharing!
    @jenmomto4 I completely understand losing weight quitting and gaining it all back. In my case I lose, then gain back 10 more than what I lost. This is the first time I've refused to stop, and have only gained back a max of 5lbs at any given point in the past 8 months, but it's so incredibly frustrating :(

Thanks all for responding!

I agree with Leticia, maybe set yourself a goal of 5 lbs and then work from there. As for giving up dairy, it will be tough the first few days but after that it won't be bad. I feel like the reward is really worth it. I am not going to say that being in a public setting is easy, it's much easier to control at home, but it makes a huge difference for me.
  • mommybehealthy
    Options
    Thanks @StacyChrz ! I've already started the "weaning" process. I'm going to attempt 30 days as a challenge of dairy free, and then work from there. Hopefully it will help. I figure if I could give up the one thing I was so addicted to (breads, pastas, etc. ) I can totally do this. Thanks again!
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I could lose no weight without severe restriction and outrageous amounts of exercise until my RE/fertility doc put me on metoformin 1000mg twice a day. Then I could lose normally if I followed a normal exercise and eating plan.
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I lost 80lbs once I started Metoformin. Had baby number three with severe post partum and went on anti depressants and gained almost 50 of it back. I'm finally feeling normal again after baby #3 (took almost three years!!!) and I'm going down again...about 17 lbs since January.

• Cylie5
    Cylie5 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS back in 2014. I thought it was just a fertility thing but I got pregnant right after. I had no idea it affected weight loss. Back in the fall I cut added sugars out of my diet and lost some weight but perhaps the PCOS stunted that? Perhaps its something to talk to the doc about.
  • mommybehealthy
    Options
    @cassondraragan congrats on your recent success, and feeling normal again! I completely understand post partum, gaining, etc. I actually just talked with my GYN today who put me back on metformin (was off because of the stomach upset), so he says it will take about 2-3 months to get into a regulation of my system.

@Cylie5 I was diagnosed back in 2000 in my late teens, and was told I would have fertility issues. I got pregnant with both my kids easily, so I was in denial that I really did have PCOS. I know better now because I have way too many symptoms of it :( Definitely talk to your doctor about treatment options. Usually they go with birth control pills , which do help but can lead to weight gain, so it's a catch 22 :(
  • mommybehealthy
    Options
    @DancingDarl I'm glad you were finally able to get correctly diagnosed (or un diagnosed :)). Sorry to hear you were incorrectly diagnosed. My ovaries have never shown cysts in all of the ultrasounds I've had, however I have all of the other symptoms. I'm glad the parasite cleanse worked for you!
  • smurphy90
    smurphy90 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was "diagnosed" with PCOS, but am still not positive that I have it. A blood test made my doctor suspect it last year (Feb. 2015), but due to insurance limitations at the time, I couldn't get an ultrasound to confirm it. I've been on 1000mg/2x day of Metformin (I can't use hormonal birth control, due to conflicting medication.) I haven't really lost weight on it, or noticed any difference in some of my other symptoms (like no period, some annoying facial hair, etc.) I'm trying to limit my carb intake, as it's definitely not my preferred food group and I know Metformin and PCOS tends to be better when combined with a low carb diet. However, living in Germany and having a very German, potato loving boyfriend, potatoes are 1/3-1/2 of our dinner about 3-4 nights/week. I'm also quite sensitive to eggs, so combining that with not wanting added carbs in my day, I never know what to eat in the mornings that doesn't require more than 3-5 minutes of cooking.

I was on a medication from November 2014 until October 2015 that had the side effect of getting PCOS. I've been off of that medication since then though and still no sight of my period, which I haven't had since Jan 2015.

I still have at least 80 pounds to lose, so I'm really hoping to rally some motivation and really stick to it this time. I really want to be sure my fertility is okay. I've never had regular periods, but I still always got them every 1-4 months... never gone over a year. =/
  • BoomstickChik
    BoomstickChik Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hey, I don't have pcos, but i do have Hashimotos and it's extremely difficult to lose with thyroid disease as well. I understand the struggle of health issues impacting weight loss. Feel free to add :)
  • Hiddenstars18
    Hiddenstars18 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hey guys, I just started on here from recommendation from a friend and I just got officially diagnosed with pcos and high insulin levels after 3 follow up visits and blood work. Doctor gave me metoformin and I start it tomorrow. Any diet advice or any other advice would be great! I currently and unfortunately weigh 264 and my goal at first is to get under 200 then go from there. One step at a time right?
  • mommybehealthy
    Options
    @smurphy90 I completely understand your struggles. I was on Metformin from 2009 until last July 2015 and I just started it back again. My doctor said that it takes 2-3 months to even begin to regulate cycles, if it will at all. Ugh, which is frustrating. Carbs were my weakness, anything bread, pasta, or potato related is all I'd crave. In July of last year I have it all up. I just started back taking my Metformin and am down 1/2 lb since Thursday last week. You will find excellent support here on this site! Keep it up because you can definitely do it. Don't worry too much about fertility, you can totally have children even with crazy cycles. I was told I wouldn't get pregnant my traditional methods, and I did it twice.

@BoomstickChik thyroid issues are a challenge. Both of my sisters have thyroid issues, and I'm checked frequently as well. Thanks for sharing that we aren't in this alone!

@Hiddenstars18 Welcome! The absolute 1 and only thing that has worked for me is calorie and carb restrictions. It's extremely frustrating seeing others who don't have PCOS just "cutting back" because for me I had to severely restrict. I basically follow a diabetic diet in order to keep my glucose from spiking and in turn making my insulin go haywire. I too am insulin resistant with high insulin levels. I was diagnosed in 2009. The metformin truly does help, but I found out the hard way that it won't work on it's own. Walking after meals is good to help keep your glucose low, as well as low glycemic foods. I can't do artificial sweetners, so I use things like agave that won't spike my glucose, and in turn make my insulin higher. I too am needing to get under 200 eventually (haven't seen 1derland in ....over 15 or more years. Best of luck to you!!!
  • redfoxwhiskers
    redfoxwhiskers Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, guys! I can't tell you how excited I am to find other people with PCOS struggling with the same things I am. I keep losing weight and then gaining it back plus extra. I have never had regular periods and am pretty sure I'm infertile at this point. It's done terrible things to my self esteem (my hair is falling out! Gah!) But I've decided to regain my confidence and optimism by trying to beat this thing! My hope is to lose weight and to see if that counteracts some of the yucky effecrs.

I live in a very small town and the doctor here isn't really giving a lot of advice. Do you recommend metformin? I'm just thrilled to meet more people. Hi!
  • mariawpqe
    mariawpqe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I've been feeling with pcos since I was 15 and would be happy to add you.

There's a ton of advice I can give! Go see an endocrinologist asap. You may need to take a trip and get a referral from your doc for insurance reasons.

As far as meds, metformin isn't being prescribed for pcos anymore and my doc took me off it. Get on birth control pills if you can. They helped me so much in regulating my female hormones. My hair was falling out too, but there is a blood pressure medication called spironolactone and it has a side affect of blocking androgens from being received, which is the hormone that causes our hair loss. And it totally worked for me!

As far as diet and exercise, stay away from simple carbs and try and high fiber, high protein or high fat diet. I really love lots of fruit and veggies with yogurt, hummus, nutbutters and cheese. But basically a portion of any carb we eat will go straight to fat because of insulin resistance, if you have that. Use Google!

I'm at a point in my life where I got down to a fit 165 about a year ago, then let myself go and gained it all back and then some. Now I'm darting all over, but bound and determined to be healthy again.

We can totally do this! If you want to friend me, I'm cool with that.