Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

butter vs margarine

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    missyfitz1 wrote: »
    The complaining about people being unsupportive in this thread is especially confusing, since it is in the "Nutrition Debate" forum.

Now my brain might have been adversely affected by all the chemicals and toxins I consume in margarine, milk, and Peeps, but my understanding of the word "debate" suggests that others may challenge any opinions or beliefs you may post.

'Cuz... debate.

In fact, I believe the Nutrition Debate forum was created so we could demand things like "proof" and "studies" and "science" without being called mean. :confused:

*headdesk* I didn't even notice we were in the Nutrition Debate forum. Why was I spending so much energy trying to make the point that debate is positive and a good thing? That's irrelevant. It's the mandate here!

This thread was moved here -- it started in the "Food" area. I think you've made some excellent points, not irrelevant at all.

Huh, didn't think of that, the thread being moved. Damn you processed-food-stuff-toxins, confuddling my brain!

Yeah, it was moved, but it still is titled butter v. margarine! That's a debate format.

Of course, the discussion ended up: either, doesn't matter, whatever you like assuming you aren't eating insane amounts vs. margarine is evil because back in the '80s most had transfats. Oh, and chemicals. Because olive oil is apparently a chemical and cream is not.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

Dear Posters,

This topic was moved from another forum to Nutrition Debate. Please be aware that some content was posted prior to that move, and was not posted with respect to the intent of this forum.

Please feel free to continue the discussion from this point forward as you would an ND topic, but please do not quote or challenge prior content as being a part of the ND forum. Users who wish to continue to participate in the discussion in this forum are welcome to do so, but users who do not wish to participate need to have that choice respected per the guidelines of this forum.

kgeyser
    MFP Moderator

Would it be possible for the moderator to put this kind of post in as a rule when threads are moved to forums that have a different purpose? To kind of place a bookmark for where in a thread the rules changed?
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Dear Posters,

This topic was moved from another forum to Nutrition Debate. Please be aware that some content was posted prior to that move, and was not posted with respect to the intent of this forum.

Please feel free to continue the discussion from this point forward as you would an ND topic, but please do not quote or challenge prior content as being a part of the ND forum. Users who wish to continue to participate in the discussion in this forum are welcome to do so, but users who do not wish to participate need to have that choice respected per the guidelines of this forum.

kgeyser
    MFP Moderator

Would it be possible for the moderator to put this kind of post in as a rule when threads are moved to forums that have a different purpose? To kind of place a bookmark for where in a thread the rules changed?

Agreed. When was the thread moved?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Dear Posters,

kgeyser
    MFP Moderator

This thread has brought that discussion up on our part. We are going to start leaving a note when it is moved.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I think the defense of prior posters complaining about being asked to defend their statements because it wasn't yet in ND is kind of silly, though. The OP asked what was better to eat, butter or margarine. To jump in and claim butter because margarine is unnatural and does all sorts of specified bad things and then complain when people ask "oh, what's the support for that? do you realize margarine is lots of different compositions?" is just as outrageous whether it's in ND or not. What good does it do for the OP or his/her question to let inaccurate statements pass unchallenged as if that was "being supportive."

Shaking my head.
  • kimny72
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Dear Posters,

kgeyser
    MFP Moderator

This thread has brought that discussion up on our part. We are going to start leaving a note when it is moved.

Awesome, thank you!
  • missyfitz1
    missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think the defense of prior posters complaining about being asked to defend their statements because it wasn't yet in ND is kind of silly, though. The OP asked what was better to eat, butter or margarine. To jump in and claim butter because margarine is unnatural and does all sorts of specified bad things and then complain when people ask "oh, what's the support for that? do you realize margarine is lots of different compositions?" is just as outrageous whether it's in ND or not. What good does it do for the OP or his/her question to let inaccurate statements pass unchallenged as if that was "being supportive."

Shaking my head.

I agree with this completely.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Shaking my head.

No matter what forum you're in, if you're going to say "*You* shouldn't eat [x]" or "*You* shouldn't do [x]," there should be some kind of support for that. And I don't think posters should get in trouble for asking for support for claims that something is harmful (or that something is beneficial).
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I was once told by a nutritionist to eat close to nature! So I choose butter, I could make my own at home if I wanted to. I can't say the same about Margarine. I made the switch to butter about 2 years ago!!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I was once told by a nutritionist to eat close to nature! So I choose butter, I could make my own at home if I wanted to. I can't say the same about Margarine. I made the switch to butter about 2 years ago!!

I can and do make my own margarine.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

Any *kitten* can call themselves a nutritionist (at least in the United States). That term is practically meaningless in terms of someone's qualifications. Ask a Registered Dietician, who has actually studied and has a degree in human nutrition.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I agree. I love opening my bag of Doritos in a nice park and eating them there. I just need to know if I should bring a tub of butter or margarine to dip them in.
  • kimny72
    Options

Yeah, I don't think some people understand what margarine is. At their most basic, butter is creamed milk, margarine is whipped oil. Margarine doesn't have to be partially hydrogenated, made in a factory full of evil chemists.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Yeah, I don't think some people understand what margarine is. At their most basic, butter is creamed milk, margarine is whipped oil. Margarine doesn't have to be partially hydrogenated, made in a factory full of evil chemists.

I think there is this misconception that all margarine is identical and if there is something you don't want to consume (or reduce consumption of) in one, that doesn't mean that every margarine ever is like that one.

You can make it yourself, you can get it GMO-free, you can get it organic, you can get it with different types of oils, etc.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So I took a look at one of these new fangled margarines....

Ingredients:
    Vegetable Oils in varying proportions (70%) (Sunflower, Rapeseed, Palm# and Linseed), Water, Salt (1.5%), Buttermilk (12%), Emulsifier (Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids), Acid (Citric Acid), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate), Natural Flavouring (contains Milk), Vitamins A and D, Colour (Carotenes), #This is sustainable Palm Oil

I guess it's the palm oil that holds it together, as the other oils are liquids.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

To be honest, if you'd asked me prior to this thread, I wouldn't have know there are so many different types of margarine. I knew there was one made with olive oil from commercials, and of course the standard 'OMG it's so fake' one. But otherwise, I've been so traumatized by the margarine I was served in the 80's I've stayed far, far away :tongue:
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

To be honest, if you'd asked me prior to this thread, I wouldn't have know there are so many different types of margarine. I knew there was one made with olive oil from commercials, and of course the standard 'OMG it's so fake' one. But otherwise, I've been so traumatized by the margarine I was served in the 80's I've stayed far, far away :tongue:

Yeah, I decided I hated it in the '80s too, and never eat it (I just have no reason to buy it, since I use oil or butter where butter is a better choice and don't need a spread). It's just the misinformation that bothers me. I might well like it better now, although I suspect I'd still resent it for not being butter. ;-)
  • kimny72
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

LOL, yeah we had Parkay in the blue container. It was... interesting, now that I've expanded my tastes.

I have more positive memories about it though, because when I was very small and I was sick or upset about something my mom would let me have Saltines with margarine with half a can of Coke.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    You guys are really nitpicking here. What I think @melissa6771 is trying to get at is that butter is all natural; it's made from milk and sometimes salt. Whereas margarine was originally made in a lab and has lots of added ingredients, a lot of which some people prefer not to include in their diets, myself included.

Nothing says natural like grabbing the nipples of another species and yanking for all its worth in hopes you'll a liquid that you'll be able to pound it into a amorpheous solid food stuff that can withstand shipping across the country in a vehicle that is filled with pressurized coolant to create a temperature cooler than ambient. That's my idea of natural for sure.

For productivity's sake, can we use the term synthetic chemicals to denote the lab concept or kemikillz? I'm cool with either, though the later will give me more of a chuckle.

I get my Raw unpasteurized milk from a local farm that treats its animals humanely. My milk comes in glass, because BPA's, and I've taken to making my own butter which is stable at room temperature. But you know everything.

And just in case anyone wants to criticize my consumption of world dairy products, that is a personal decision and I don't need your input. My family can say is organic pasteurized milk so no worries there.

Funny that you'd bring up raw milk. Raw unpasteurized milk is pretty bad for you. About 150 times higher incidence rate of food related outbreaks because of it than treated milk.

http://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/rawmilk/nonpasteurized-outbreaks.html

But "natural" is so much better for you mhmm.

In my n=5, we had raw unpasteurized goat's milk for 14 years without it making us sick.

(I'm not arguing against pasteurization in large scale dairy operations.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Dear Posters,

kgeyser
    MFP Moderator

Thank you!