Belly dancing

Options
Hi, I started MFP a few days ago and have taken steps to improve fitness and confidence, this includes signing up to a beginners course in belly dancing. I'm so nervous about my first class and wondered if anyone else does belly dancing that might have some supportive words of encoragement. Thank you

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I love belly dancing! Get yourself some of those cotton dance shoes off ebay so you don't get cold filthy feet! They are usually very cheap. Have fun with it!
  • SiobhanHK8
    SiobhanHK8 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Oh thank you I will have a look on eBay now.
    I'm hoping there is a range of ages and sizes at the class, very nervous but I think I will enjoy it X
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Belly dancing sounds a really fun way to get exercise - Once you've taken the plunge I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Good luck :)
  • SiobhanHK8
    Options
    Thank you! The support on MFP is calming the nerves
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Way to go with trying to improve yourself! Try not to be nervous. Everyone was new at some point. :)

I occasionally do belly dancing workout dvd's from home and it's great for the core.

Good luck and have fun!
  • SiobhanHK8
    Options
    Thank you for your support
  • Pole_Kat
    Pole_Kat Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My pole studio does a belly dancing class, it is great fun, great for fitness and in my experience the class has a really welcoming, warm attitude to new people - have fun!
  • SiobhanHK8
    Options
    That's really good to hear, thank you x
  • lgoldfarb
    lgoldfarb Posts: 76 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I do. You'll love it! I've met some of the most confident women in my classes regardless of their size or ability. Just be yourself and have fun.
  • SiobhanHK8
    Options
    It's the confidence bit I'm aiming for, thank you for your reply
  • iGipsy
    iGipsy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was so nervous when I showed for my first bellydance class and for sometime after. My first performance I couldn't remember as my nerves were so strong but... after a while I began to love my body and how it could move by itself like some inbuilt ancient memory and started to happily bare my belly during practices and then performances. Let's say, 20 odd years later I am still grateful for the guts I had to show up and stick with that class. I now teach others the joy of bellydance. Good luck with your journey xXx
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    go, enjoy yourself and don't think of it as exercise....that is just that added bonus :smile: