Why are we bigger than ever?

Options

Replies

• NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Huge portions, less active, "busy/hurried" lifestyle encouraged, too much sodium, corn syrup and fast food!
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    ITA with what others have said about eating too much and not moving enough.

I would also add: we're kidding ourselves more and more about the causes for our weight gain. I see so much these days about "health conditions," "genetics" or other reasons outside our control. If we can convince ourselves that we're the victims and we have no control, then why try to change? This is dangerous thinking. Couple this with the growing health at any size movement and you're going to find that obesity rates only increase from here on out.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Evolution of the human species. Readily available food and less movement.
  • Leyshinka
    Leyshinka Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Affluence
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Cheap calories that are not satisfying, you can eat more, faster.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the key reasons why and what we can do to spread the word to help others?

(1) We eat too much for how active we are.

(2) I think most people know about the obesity problem, so we don't need to spread the word. I personally am not willing to tell others not to eat so much or to be more active. If people are overweight, I suspect they know it.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Another thing we never had when I was a kid, is cup holders in cars. People are now constantly eating, but especially drinking, while driving. Since so many people spend hours a day in their cars, these calories add up. I know, I know, I'm ancient history, but I notice all this when I return home to the States for visits, since I've lived in Europe for 30 yrs, and we drive very little there.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I also feel like we make food the center of entertainment and many options aren't very healthy. Now that I'm actually counting calories it's insane how much I used to actually eat for one meal. I feel fine after what I eat now. It's like my stomach has shrank and I can be satiated with way less amount of food. It's nice. I was also thinking about how some say it's too expensive to eat healthier but I also see people spend a lot on just one meal because they eat so much.

I don't think this is something new though. I grew up in the 60's and 70's when obesity was not common and it was very uncommon in young people. But food was the center of entertainment then too. Almost every gathering or event was centered around food.

But we didn't have 400 cable channels and we didn't have video games. We didn't sit around staring at electronics while we stuffed our faces. We moved more all day long.

I'm not discounting that the type of food has changed. We had plenty of junk food back then but certainly nothing like now.

But I really think the change in activity level is the biggest, but not only, factor.

I think it's a big factor too. When I was a kid we were outside running around all day (even when I lived in a very cold area--we built snow forts and had an elaborate game where we were fighting the Russians, LOL, and also went sledding and skating and cross-country skiing, among other things). As I mentioned on the other thread, I live in a health-conscious area and despite the change rarely see an overweight child in my neighborhood. I do see parents outside riding bikes with their kids or supervising sporting events like soccer games, and I know my friends with kids are always taking little ones to group play (active play) or older ones to sports stuff. I just think that many places you need parents to be more involved to get kids as active -- it's not as easy as it used to be to just say "go outside and play."

I also think there's a cultural shift. Food was the center of many social activities when I was growing up too ('70s and '80s), but going out to eat/bringing home food was much more rare (it was available, just less relied on), and we were expected to eat nutritious meals (including vegetables) and weren't encouraged to eat things between meals (you'd spoil your dinner). We rarely had pop -- it was a special treat and came in those little half cans. Koolaid was more common, I guess, but I recall drinking it after playing outside for hours in the summer.
  • bezza666
    bezza666 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Teach the kids from an early age. Stop eating processed food.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Moving less... gives us time to eat more... the hobbies we have involve moving less... and we can eat more when doing said hobbies. Try running around a tennis court while eating a Big Mac. :D
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Eating too much and screens (tv, video games, internet surfing)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Another thing we never had when I was a kid, is cup holders in cars. People are now constantly eating, but especially drinking, while driving. Since so many people spend hours a day in their cars, these calories add up. I know, I know, I'm ancient history, but I notice all this when I return home to the States for visits, since I've lived in Europe for 30 yrs, and we drive very little there.

Yeah, the ONLY cup holder we had when I was a kid was a hand! :wink:
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    hapoy Friday everyone !
    I was curious... Since we are supposedly more overweight than ever in the United States. I was wondering the key reasons why and what we can do to spread the word to help others? Thoughts?

If you want to think like a social scientists, there are very particular reasons that work together to make bad food choices either a) the easiest to make, b) the most widely available to make, c) momentarily necessary to make, d) unknowingly made, c) made subconsciously as part of changing "food culture."

Here are some issues:

1. Food is cheaper than ever, yet at the same time modern life requires/expects more expensive other gadgets. Food used to be ONE THIRD of the average US American budget. It is now ONE EIGHTH. Food is taken for granted, and is very CHEAP to over-consume.
    2. People eat out at restaurants much, much more often. It is harder to control portion and ingredients at a restaurant than at home.
    3. Calorie-dense foods that ignite our biological responses of satiety and pleasure are much more readily available.
    4. Brands design their foods to market their foods towards children, who have an incredible buying power and influence on their parents' buying in the Western world. These foods also happen to be, by and large, incredibly sugar-dense.
    5. Jobs in the the US and UK are mainly service and/or middle-management. This means sitting on your *kitten* or very minimal movement.
    6. A large portion of our lives is spent at computers/TVs instead of out and active in the world.
    7. There is a perception among many parents that the "world is more dangerous than it used to be" - and parents rarely let their children go out and play far and wide anymore.
    8. People on average now live farther and farther from their places of work, and they generally use personal cars to get there. This means more hours of the day spent in commute and transit.
    9. Wages have essentially flat-lined in relation to the cost of living. This means when it used to be enough for one parent to work, now often two have to work (at least to keep up a level of living that people expect, in some cases). This means less time is spent on procuring, cooking, and cleaning up for food. Parents are exhausted.
    10. People have stopped acquiring the ability to cook and either don't learn or lose knowledge about food. The 1950s and 60s was all about modernization and automation. Frozen meals, home processors, pre-packaged "just add water" things, fast-food, restaurants, etc - replaced the deep care and knowledge about how to, a) have proper kitchen tools, b) buy and plan meals over a week/month, c) flavor foods so they are desirable by the family, d) re-purpose left-overs.
    11. School food is absolutely abominable in most places, and regulations on school food are in serious need of updates.
    12. The easy of access of kids to sweets, chips, and sodas on school grounds is absurd.

Here are some books on it (which are the sources for most of these ideas)
    http://rajpatel.org/2009/10/27/stuffed-and-starved/#more-93

http://www.frederickkaufman.com/

http://www.foodpolitics.com/

If only the answer were simple! These are trends that I think coalesce to form large changes in your average person's life. But hey! Childhood obesity has dropped 43% since Michelle Obama started her programs!
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    This will be very unpopular here; but the kind of food we are chosing to eat plays a big role as well.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »
    This will be very unpopular here; but the kind of food we are chosing to eat plays a big role as well.

I don't think that's "wrong" per se, I just don't think it gets us anywhere. Sure "what we choose" plays a role.

As a social scientist PhD with a degree in public health though, I am MUCH more interested in WHY certain "choices" even exist in the first place, WHAT shapes those choices (they're not just incidental), WHERE certain "choices" exist (geographically, because some places are 'fatter' than others), and WHY people make certain choice, and if they're even aware that they're making them.

I think you have to get to that level of questioning if you want answers.
  • gingersplace
    gingersplace Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    1. Inactivity. Internet, TV, phones...I know I do a lot more sitting than I used to, and I was never really active to begin with.
    2. Empty calories. Especially things like soft drinks. A "large" soft drink these days is a bucketful, and liquids don't fill you up like solid food does. And more and more of our foods contain a lot of added sugar, which is a "trigger" food for a lot of overeaters (like me).
    3. Huge portions. What the average restaurant here considers a "portion" would be considered at least two portions in most of the rest of the world.
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    hapoy Friday everyone !
    I was curious... Since we are supposedly more overweight than ever in the United States. I was wondering the key reasons why and what we can do to spread the word to help others? Thoughts?

Fast food and not moving enough
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Can anyone show evidence that we are less active than we were in the 70s, for example? That is probably true for children. But I don't think that applies to adults.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    We're on fad diets all the time, we believe in diet myths and 'set point' theories, and that's why it's so easy to give up on trying to achieve a healthy physique. Fooling yourself without realizing it. That's what happened to me personally, at least. I grew up listening to diet myths and I thought it was fact.