Feeling Bloated... Water Pills?

Options
Been drinking a lot of water and green tea... Starting to feel bloated... Ive heard from some people water pills can help with being bloated, but have also heard they can be bad for you?

So... Yes or No?

Replies

• lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    It's water. You don't need pills, it'll come out on its own. Maybe check your sodium levels if you think you're retaining too much, I also find that high levels of carbs, carbonated drinks, and things with artificial sweeteners tend to make me bloat.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough solid food?

Green tea doesn't make you lose weight, in case you thought so. Neither does drinking water.

A calorie deficit makes you lose weight.

I recommend reading the "helpful posts":

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Drinking more water should actually help with bloat. As you drink more fluid your body will release fluids, leading to less bloating.

After being on a prescribed diuretic and having to deal with the side effects (and that is with being under a Dr.'s supervision) I would not recommend taking a diuretic unless needed for a real medical reason.
  • louise294
    louise294 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    eat more fibre and water rich foods to help push everything along, i.e. vegetables :) stir fried vegetables without oil works a treat
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    louise294 wrote: »
    eat more fibre and water rich foods to help push everything along, i.e. vegetables :) stir fried vegetables without oil works a treat

stir-fried WITH oil helps too, sometimes not getting enough dietary fat will back things up just as much as not enough fiber can
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, when I feel constipated it's usually a high fat meal that gets me going.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    choppie70 wrote: »
    Drinking more water should actually help with bloat. As you drink more fluid your body will release fluids, leading to less bloating.

After being on a prescribed diuretic and having to deal with the side effects (and that is with being under a Dr.'s supervision) I would not recommend taking a diuretic unless needed for a real medical reason.

@choppie70 what kind of side effects?

I take celery seed extract tablets every now and then, when i get fluid retention in my legs, not every day though, maybe 2-3 times a month.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options

I take celery seed extract tablets every now and then, when i get fluid retention in my legs, not every day though, maybe 2-3 times a month.

The diuretic lowered my potassium, which caused a build up of uric acid in my urine, which caused a 22mm kidney stone (stuck in my ureter) that took 5 day surgery treatments to finally remove. I had to have a stent for over 2 months to help drain my kidney. I had heart palpitations from the low potassium as well. The diuretic also caused severe muscle cramps where I would not be able to move until the cramp passed.

My Dr. told me to avoid diuretics labeled as "natural" because they can have side effects as well, and can cause other medications to become less effective. I have ADD and take a medication for that so that was a concern for me.
  • Christine_72
    Options

The diuretic lowered my potassium, which caused a build up of uric acid in my urine, which caused a 22mm kidney stone (stuck in my ureter) that took 5 day surgery treatments to finally remove. I had to have a stent for over 2 months to help drain my kidney. I had heart palpitations from the low potassium as well. The diuretic also caused severe muscle cramps where I would not be able to move until the cramp passed.

My Dr. told me to avoid diuretics labeled as "natural" because they can have side effects as well, and can cause other medications to become less effective. I have ADD and take a medication for that so that was a concern for me.

Yowsa's that sounds terrible! So I'm assuming celery seed extract is classed as "natural"?
  • MegSchuy16
    MegSchuy16 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have been watching my sodium levels and eat plenty of solid foods. I don't drink any carbonated drinks... just water and tea... Lol
  • jiujitsuandwaffles
    jiujitsuandwaffles Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try some lemon in your water. Keep drinking water, don't stop even though you feel bloated. Your body probably doesn't want to get rid of all the water right now, but it will. Give it time. Lemon helps as it is a natural diuretic and won't cause harm to your body. I put straight up lemon juice in my water, tastes like unsweetened lemonade but I'm sure you could put in a stevia or 0-cal sweetener if you need it. Hope that helps :)
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Drink more water
    Reduce salt
    Exercise

Don't waste money on pills
  • MegSchuy16
    Options
    hccec54321 wrote: »
    Try some lemon in your water. Keep drinking water, don't stop even though you feel bloated. Your body probably doesn't want to get rid of all the water right now, but it will. Give it time. Lemon helps as it is a natural diuretic and won't cause harm to your body. I put straight up lemon juice in my water, tastes like unsweetened lemonade but I'm sure you could put in a stevia or 0-cal sweetener if you need it. Hope that helps :)

Thank you!
  • MegSchuy16
    Options
    selina884 wrote: »
    Drink more water
    Reduce salt
    Exercise

Don't waste money on pills

Awesome! Thanks!
  • Christine_72
    Options

Cranberry juice also acts as a diuretic. I mix it in with my water, 250ml per 1.5L is plenty enough.
  • MegSchuy16
    Options

Cranberry juice also acts as a diuretic. I mix it in with my water, 250ml per 1.5L is plenty enough.

Ill try that... I drink water with lemon in the morning, but doesn't help much with bloating... Thank you!