Smoothie Ideas and their calories

Options
I have been trying to make smoothies for a snack or breakfast. I keep running into High Calorie counts- I mean the banana alone is 100 cals. Would love any recipes folks can share.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    To reduce calories in my smoothies, I will skip the bananas and use things like berries instead. I will use unsweetened almond milk (30 calories per cup) and only use that for half of the liquid (using water for the other half).

• Paiger816
    Paiger816 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to make smoothies for a snack or breakfast. I keep running into High Calorie counts- I mean the banana alone is 100 cals. Would love any recipes folks can share.

Are you actually weighing your ingredients? I always logged bananas at 90 calories... until I started weighing everything. Most of my Dole Bananas end up being around 3.5 oz which is around 40 calories. Which is awesome, because I don't eat dairy so I throw in a banana instead of yogurt.

My last smoothie was 163 calories.
    3.6 oz banana - 43 calories
    4.4 oz frozen raspberries - 38 cals
    2.2 oz frozen pineapple - 36 cals
    1.8 oz frozen mango - 30 cals
    .5 cup Silk Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk - 15 cals
    Water/Ice

I'd say the majority of my smoothies are less than 200 cals. I only go over that if I add peanut butter. (PB & J Smoothie is fantastical.)
  • canadianbugga
    canadianbugga Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    my usual smoothie is just over 200 calories. I cup frozen mixed berries, 1 scoopvanilla protein powder, and 1-2 cups spinach leaves blended with a cup of water and maybe a couple ice cubes.
  • Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I use half a banana with a cup of frozen fruit, half a cup of vanilla Greek yogurt, a handful of spinach and a scoop of protein. Ends up under 300 calories for breakfast with around 25 grams protein and 10 grams fiber.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I weigh all my ingredients but here's my go to smoothie. 130 cals

2.5 oz baby spinach
    1.5 oz baby romaine
    100 grams of frozen pineapple
    1/2 Granny Smith Apple
    Tiny bit of grated ginger
    1 Tablespoon of lemon juice
  • ASH_DVM
    ASH_DVM Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Paiger816 wrote: »

Are you actually weighing your ingredients? I always logged bananas at 90 calories... until I started weighing everything. Most of my Dole Bananas end up being around 3.5 oz which is around 40 calories. Which is awesome, because I don't eat dairy so I throw in a banana instead of yogurt.

My last smoothie was 163 calories.
    3.6 oz banana - 43 calories
    4.4 oz frozen raspberries - 38 cals
    2.2 oz frozen pineapple - 36 cals
    1.8 oz frozen mango - 30 cals
    .5 cup Silk Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk - 15 cals
    Water/Ice

I'd say the majority of my smoothies are less than 200 cals. I only go over that if I add peanut butter. (PB & J Smoothie is fantastical.)

I think you're underestimating and under logging banana calories by about 1/2. The USDA entry has a 3.5 oz banana (100g) at right around 90 calories (88 to be exact). That 40 calories is way too low.

• mdrichardsons
    mdrichardsons Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I usually don't like smoothies but I found this one I love: banana,pineapple, almond milk, cashews and or almonds I add a touch of stevia. Yum. Comes to about 250. I used to put Greek yogurt in but it's just more calories so I stopped but if you need extra protein.