Macro split for effective lean muscle gain AND fat loss

Options
I keep reading different ratios, one being more protein and fat, less carbs in order to gain lean muscle and drop fat.
Can anyone please explain their macro split recommendation (i.e. why will your recommendation work?)

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Unless you have newbie gains, you can't effectively do both. It's either one or the other. Create a surplus for muscle gain, or create a deficit for fat loss.
  • heh1985
    heh1985 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks. What's is a good macro split for leaning out?
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    heh1985 wrote: »
    Ok thanks. What's is a good macro split for leaning out?

One that meets minimum recommended levels and that you can adhere to.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Adequate protein, adequate fat, carbs fall wherever they fall within your calorie allowance and personal preference.

Your training is a far more important factor than tinkering with macros.

Recomp is not limited to newbie gains.
    If you are very lean and near your training potential then recomp probably won't work. But that's a minority of the general population.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Here's my (very general) rule of thumb:

1.0 to 1.2 grams of protein per pound of body weight
    0.5 grams of fat per pound of body weight
    Enough carbs to meet my caloric target (more for gaining, less for cutting)
  • Microscopes
    Microscopes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Unless you have newbie gains, you can't effectively do both. It's either one or the other. Create a surplus for muscle gain, or create a deficit for fat loss.

I am definitely no expert, but there are several studies that say you can build muscle and burn fat at he same time.

One study actually over 10 pounds of muscle mass added while fat was lost.

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/gain-muscle-and-lose-fat-at-the-same-time/
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I am definitely no expert, but there are several studies that say you can build muscle and burn fat at he same time.

Here is a quote from the US National Library of Medicine National Institute of Health thats says you lose muscle in a deficit. The quote and the link attached.
    "Conversely, when energy expenditure exceeds energy intake, a state of negative energy balance ensues and the consequence is a loss of body mass (again with 60 to 80 percent from body fat). Any genetic or environmental factor that impacts body weight must act through one or more component of energy balance."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3401553/
  • sijomial
    edited March 2016
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »

Here is a quote from the US National Library of Medicine National Institute of Health thats says you lose muscle in a deficit. The quote and the link attached.
    "Conversely, when energy expenditure exceeds energy intake, a state of negative energy balance ensues and the consequence is a loss of body mass (again with 60 to 80 percent from body fat). Any genetic or environmental factor that impacts body weight must act through one or more component of energy balance."

That quote doesn't support your assertion. Muscle =/= body mass, it's just one component.
  • sijomial
    Options
  • angelwowings23
    angelwowings23 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    After doing insane amounts of research, calculating my macros, using macro calculators online...there's so many conflicting results. 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat is highly recommended for leaning out but I think it was too carb and fat heavy for me because I have so little left to lose and I don't think it's enough protein to really keep on lean muscle. So, right now...I'm doing 40% protein, 35% carbs and 25% fat. Seems to be working thus far. Keeping my calories around 1300/day...this ends up getting me about a gram of protein per lb on my body, which is exactly where it should be. Fats need to be low (and should be derived from healthy sources) and then the remainding percentage would be allocated for carbs. Anyhow...that's what I've come to through various efforts of several different splits and it is making the most sense and getting me the best results thus far. Good luck! :)
  • heh1985
    Options
    Thanks, I guess it's trial and error for each individual. I'm currently aiming for C35/F20/P45 - how long do you think you should persevere for before tweeking if it's not working?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    betuel75 wrote: »

That quote doesn't support your assertion. Muscle =/= body mass, it's just one component.

If it says 60-80% of the body mass lost is fat, by process of elimination the other 20-40% must be other tissue that contains energy which will be mostly muscle tissue.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Eat at a surplus to gain. Eat at a deficit to lose. I've tried high carb, high protein, low fat, and high fat, low carb, honestly I didn't notice and major difference.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I'm always extremely weary of anything claiming an amount of muscle was gained during a deficit/recomp that would be near or even above optimal at a surplus.
  • heh1985
    Options
    I'm new to lifting and want to both gain muscle and lose fat, keep hearing that you can't do both at the same time.
    My goal is to achieve a defined body.
    What you suggest?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Id personally say try and do a mild deficit for a few months. Then go for a cut to reduce body fat. I tried a body recomp for 4 while taking betaine which is supposed to help muscle growth. I saw maybe a 1lb increase of that, during the entire time. The only time I've seen significant muscle growth is when I've stayed at a constant surplus of around 300 calories a day. Bulk and cuts are the tried and true way to increase muscle mass.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Read "why we get fat" by Gary Taubes, a great place to start.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I second jessef93, bulk and cut cycles are probably the best way to get the results you want. You look pretty lean from your picture already so you could probably bulk now or you could cut a little bit, then slowly increase calories until you're at a surplus (probably about 250 calories a day surplus for a .5lb gain per week). When you think it's time you can then cut again to shed some of the body fat you will inevitably gain in a surplus and reveal that awesome muscle you also gained in that bulk.

A good rule of thumb for macros: protein 0.6-.8g/lb of body weight, fats .35g/lb of body weight, fill the rest with carbs.