I can't stop eating junk, how do I stop?

Options
I try to think myself out of eating junk (mainly chocolate), but I get so bored. I don't have much to do right now, all my classes are online, I'm in debt, and either my friends graduated, are homebodies, or are super busy. I work part-time but they're both sedentary jobs. I try to motivate myself, but I don't find myself having anything to look forward to. I try to think of thinks to busy myself away from eating, but I don't have that much to do to begin with. I spend a lot of my time alone, like a lot. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Don't buy it in the first place.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I bored eat too...totally understand. Part of it for me is planning out my day, so I know what I can eat to hit calorie budget. Part of it is staying busy, even without a lot of money you can do things like to go free museums, take a walk, window shop, volunteer at the local pet shelter and those are just a few off the top of my head. I also put a sign on the refrigerator door to remind me of my goal. Remind the beginnings are the hardest part, changing years of habits (eating when bored) will not just disappear over night. Plus to @ClosetBayesian point, just don't buy it.
  • mamacita0610
    mamacita0610 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I totally understand your struggle. Mid-day and late evening snacking (and becoming very sedentary) has added 40 unwanted pounds to attach itself to my body. Now that I am trying to get back on track, I am trying to resist buying my fave snacks, but I am also balancing my calories to allow a small snack here and there. I am also really trying to practice portion control so that my snacking doesn't spiral out of control. Lastly, I am trying to substitute a healthy alternative for the snack I think I want. A lot of times that works...a handful of blackberries or grapes instead of chocolate for example. If that doesn't work, I have the chocolate.

Good luck to you....I am just restarting my relationship with MyFitnessPal and I never knew there was a Community feature til now. If I figure out a way to add you as my friend, I will!
  • hopefuldreamfairy
    hopefuldreamfairy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't have a car either so those things (except for the walking) aren't as easy and they're not close. Nothing is close. The city bus takes me around 3-4 hours (round trip) to go to one place and I always find myself in uncomfortable situations when I'm alone. If you think of anything else let me know! I love to volunteer, but the places where I can are far. I try not to buy things, but I also get free junk from roommates and friends. I don't have the discipline not to eat it. I try to think myself out of it, but since they're not on the healthy lifestyle track it makes it harder. I've been buying a lot of fruits, veggies, water, meat, and less junk but somehow I still manage to binge with it.

MAMAcita I've also gained about 40lbs in about 3 years. I got extremely depressed, took solace in food, and sort of isolated myself from people. I gained a lot of bad habits even though the year before I was all about eating healthy and working out. I lost a lot of weight that year and then gained a lot afterwards. I've also noticed a lot of my friends that year were much healthier, worked out, walked everywhere, and were a better influence on my health. Since I'm in college, a lot people go there separate ways and the ones I have now are very few and have bad habits too. I've tried meeting up with new people (but for some reason people flake), and talking to my friends about it (rarely ever go through). I'm pretty sure now that I'm overweight, that has been the reason for my pinched nerves.

Chocolate is my vice. I love it so much. I wish I was allergic or something. I added you Mamacita!
  • stm712015
    stm712015 Posts: 138 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Chocolate, especially dark chocolate is actually good for you. It's about moderation. Allow yourself a small amount when you feel the craving, log it, and stay within your calorie goals. You don't have to deprive yourself.

I don't buy the junk food so it's not a choice when I want to "graze". I try to prepare my food ahead of time so I have healthy stuff I can grab. I've asked my family and the friends I'm close to to support me by not offering me food, especially high calorie junk type food. If they start to eat junk food around me, I try to step away until they're done or if this triggers my hunger, I go get something to eat that's healthy. Food prep, tracking every bite, staying within my calorie allowance, patting myself on the back every time I have a good day, and then watching the scale steadily drop is motivating enough to me. After all that work, I don't want to waste calories on high calorie junk food.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I've lost 70 lbs since April and I've eaten chocolate every day.

Make the foods you love fit your calorie limit.

Don't worry about categorising your foods as "good" or "bad". All food nourishes in some way.

The only thing you need to worry about is how many calories you eat.

I recommend beginners read the "Must Read" posts.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,071 Member
    Options
    Don't buy it in the first place.

This ^^

And save the money spent on "junk food" to pay down the debt.
  • JBDaniel08
    JBDaniel08 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have some ideas. If you would like to exchange ideas feel free to add me as a friend. I can be a really good cheering squad!
    Jamie
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Hobbies...hobbies are wonderful things. One of those hobbies could be some daily exercise of some kind...like cycling for me is a hobby...and it's also fantastic exercise and it's something I can go out and do on a nice day for hours.
  • CLK63
    CLK63 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had to quit flour and sugar completely. If I ate a little, I wanted it all. I had to quit cold turkey and I suffered for a few days but find the cravings managable now.... most of the time. ;) I make jewelry. It keeps my mind and hands busy when I am trying to distract my mind from food thoughts.