eating too less a couse of no weight loss?

Options
Is it true that you will stop loosing weight if you eat too less calories

I heard someone saying she had no apetite and ate about 400 calorie a day and never lost anything in a month

Replies

• IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    No. No one would ever die of starvation if that were true...
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Then that person was either way off in counting her calories or she was eating in her sleep because that's a crock.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

I heard someone saying she had no apetite and ate about 400 calorie a day and never lost anything in a month

No.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Your body will loose weight you'll lose muscle mass then won't be able to eat much before you gain weight
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    How do you think people starve to death?
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    Then that person was either way off in counting her calories or she was eating in her sleep because that's a crock.

Don't forget, some people are just habitual liars.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

Don't forget, some people are just habitual liars.

Agreed. That's why I listed some bad excuses for that person. It reminds me of some of the posts here "I eat less than 1000 calories per day and can't lose weight" and there is always something sketchy about that. I feel like people do things like this to keep up the illusion that being of a healthy weight is unattainable, so why not just keep eating to excess and stay overweight? It's easier to eat as much as you want and never move around than to put in even a smidgen of effort either through a calorie decrease, increased physical activity, or some combination of the two.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm not going to disturb people here with holocaust pictures of people but you may google them on your own if you want to. How do you think these people got that skinny?
  • sbahlezinwe67
    sbahlezinwe67 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    Your body will loose weight you'll lose muscle mass then won't be able to eat much before you gain weight

So eating way too less makes a person loose muscle and that is whats bad about it
    But it doesn't stop weight loss?
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options

So eating way too less makes a person loose muscle and that is whats bad about it

No.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options

I'm starting to suspect you're trolling :) Are you? Or is this a genuine question after the above replies?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

Tapeworm? :wink:
  • veliia
    veliia Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've heard that if you eat too little your body goes into starvation mode causing your body to store your fat and yes you might lose weight but its muscle ur losing. I could be worng. Just google it and look for a trusted website.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    veliia wrote: »
    I've heard that if you eat too little your body goes into starvation mode causing your body to store your fat and yes you might lose weight but its muscle ur losing. I could be worng. Just google it and look for a trusted website.

Not true
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I heard someone saying she had no appetite and ate about 400 calorie a day and never lost anything in a month

You can't escape the laws of physics. Your body must have a source of energy to take care of the basic bodily functions (e.g., breathing, heart beating, digesting, maintaining core body temperature, etc..) and movement. The only sources of this energy are from food/drinks and parts of ourselves we are able to metabolize. (We can't get energy from the sun or the air, for example.) If you don't eat/drink enough to fuel your bodily functions and activity, then your body MUST get that energy from within. Period. Fat will be the primary source, particularly when it is abundant. But, there will also be some muscle loss. When excess fat is not available, muscle loss will increase and even internal organs.

Weight loss will slow as the person's level of activity decreases to virtually nothing, and their bodily functions begin to shut down, but death will occur before weight loss stops completely. Indeed, in a well known study of people living under starvation conditions, they found the decrease in calories burned (metabolic rate) to be almost entirely due to a decrease in movement. Their metabolic rate returned to normal when they started moving (and eating) normally again.

400 calories a day is far below what the body needs to burn just to exist. They probably failed to mention the gallon of ice cream they binged on every few days.
  • sbahlezinwe67
    sbahlezinwe67 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you people for your responses i just wanted clarity because it was confusing to me that if we eat more than we should we gain weight but if we eat too less we stop loosing
  • Jeff_Sawtelle
    Jeff_Sawtelle Posts: 67 Member
    Options

WRONG
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

WRONG

You need to elaborate