1800 calories a day...how can I eat that in a healthy way?

Options
I'm a 26 year old guy, I cook, but I don't have a ton of time for food prep. Obviously I know how to get to 1800 calories a day, but I want to do it with nutritious foods. I also need to really watch my sodium, plus I tend to go over on my carbs. Anyone else here eating around the same amount? What's a normal day for you?

Replies

• SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    Use a couple of high protein/low carb bars for snacks. That should help you get there.

Good luck!
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    How much time do you have in the mornings? I would strongly suggest getting at least 1/3 of your calories in at breakfast. It is amazing what our bodies do when we fuel them up with lots of protein in the morning! Select fruits and vegetables that you like. Keep some eggs and whole grain breads handy. Look for lean meats like chicken and fish. Red meat is fine too, but limit how often you have it. Pick up some healthy frozen meals for days you just don't feel like cooking or are pressed for time. Although these are loaded with sodium, they are still better than swinging by a fast food restaurant or ordering a pizza.
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    cheese,full fat yogurt,milk ,nuts/seeds,protein bars/shakes.
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    I eat 2,030 a day. Here's a normal weekday.

Breakfast - whole wheat bagel, low fat Philly cream cheese, two cups of tea with a little sugar and milk.
    Lunch - usually leftovers, but could be a turkey sandwich with cucumbers, a little mayo and mustard on whole wheat bread
    Afternoon snack - apple and sometimes a high fibre granola bar
    Dinner - frequently grilled chicken with a couple of veggies, glass of 1% milk
    Evening snack - bowl of raisin bran.

That's about 1,800 calories. The key for me is lots of veggies in lunch and dinner, fruit for snacks, and enough fibre to keep me feeling full. Other snacks I choose include almonds, Wheat Thins, a banana, handful of blueberries in a little bit of greek yogourt, or rye bread with peanut butter.

Good luck!
  • merB89
    merB89 Posts: 122
    Options
    peanut butter, nuts, avocados, whole fat dairy. All foods I wish I could eat but don't usually fit in my daily calories! haha :(
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i eat almost that much. i eat a lot of:

chicken
    eggs
    greek yogurt (lots of protein)
    nuts
    fruits/veggies
    whole grains

feel free to add me or to take a peek at my diary :)
  • DaniNei
    DaniNei Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I would like to know also. I too eat 1800 calories and I could definitely eat better.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Break it down into meals - it's not hard to have a 400 cal brekky, 500 cal lunch and dinner. Add some healthy snacks (hommous and veggies, youghurt and fruit, cheese and crackers and tomatoes) inbetween and you're there.
    If you can cook a few times a week you can make great meals like soup with meat and beans, eat with wholegrain bread for lunch, make casserole, roast meat, serve with veggies and brown rice for dinner. Breakfast can be eggs, porridge (oatmeal), last night's leftovers, fruit - whatever works for you.
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    You could get half of that total with a seriously peanut-buttered piece of toast. Or, at least, I could. ;)
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I add almond butter to my oatmeal in the morning, and for snacks I have cottage cheese with added fiber + fruit or greek yogurt with almonds.

For lunches and dinner I focus around the protein. I eat lots of chicken - I roast a whole one on the weekend and eat the leftovers with salad the next couple of days (there are more inventive things you can do but that works for me). Stick to breast meat and lighter cooking methods (roasting, baking, broiling, etc...) and chicken can be your best friend.

Tuna is also good: one can of tuna mixed with a couple cups of salad greens, a tablespoon of light mayo and a shredded cheese makes the easiest dinner ever.

For desserts I like low fat pudding cups - still get chocolate, but a whole lot less calories and fat.
  • AwfulWaffl3
    Options
    Thanks for the great suggestions. You all are very helpful and friendly!