New Slow Cooker - Recipes?

Options
waster196
waster196 Posts: 138 Member
I just got given a slow cooker as a gift and am looking forward to using it as I love one-pot dishes. Can anyone recommend some good recipes? Preferably vegetarian friendly or using chicken / fish rather than other meats.

Replies

• GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I make a good chilli (quorn in mine).. would that be of interest?
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    I really enjoy Everything Healthy For the Slow Cooker Recipe Book. Just watch the sodium in some of the recipes.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I cook a whole chicken in mine and serve it with rice and veggies. Then I use the left over chicken and broth for chicken noodle soup. Yummmmmy!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    You can make any kind of fish en papillote in the slow-cooker! Just make pockets out of foil, spray with a little non-stick cooking spray or brush lightly with oil, then add your piece of fish, any veggies and seasoning. I tend to lay a couple lemon slices atop each piece, as well. Then, seal it up nice and tight and layer them in the dry slow cooker. Cook on LOW for 2-4 hours. :)

Chicken is EASY! Slow-cooker chicken is the ONLY way I eat chicken anymore because it's so super moist and requires NO oil!

Slice boneless, skinless chicken breast into 2 oz. pieces and lay in the bottom of the slow cooker. Add your favorite fresh or frozen veggies and cover with soup. Cook on HIGH for 30 minutes then lower to LOW for 6-8 hours.

This works with ANY combo. I like:

Chicken
    Baby Carrots
    Low-Sodium Chicken Stock
    When done, sprinkle with julienned dried apricot

Chicken
    Brocolli & Cauliflower
    Cheddar Cheese Soup

Chicken Cordon Bleu (sort of), sliced like a pocket
    Stuffed with ham and bacon and your favorite cheese
    Cover with your favorite low-sodium soup

Chicken
    Creamy tomato soup
    Red lentils
    When done, sprinkle with parmesan

Chicken
    Butternut squash soup
    Russet Potatoes

ETC...

Great for pouring over noodles, rice, couscous, whatever!

Basically anything that sounds yummy plus some liquid (unless cooking in packets) will go great. :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I make homemade lunchmeat.

Put 3 large fresh (not the frozen kind) chicken breast in the crock pot. Cover with lots of water. Turn on low for 8 hours. Come back and shred up the chicken, drain, store in airtight container. Makes great low sodium, high protein, and very lean lunchmeat.
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    GREAT IDEAS!! I'm taking notes!
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I made this one last week. Turned out pretty yummy!! I made just a couple changes. I used a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes and I added some spices to the sauce to doctor it up a bit (oregano, thyme, garlic powder). Mine was finished after cooking 5 hours. I served it with spaghetti squash for myself and Dreamfield's low carb pasta for my husband.

Crock Pot Chicken Parmesan Recipe
    Ingredients:
    2 tsp. olive oil
    4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 3 oz.) each
    1 1/4 cups crushed tomatoes
    2 large cloves garlic, crushed
    1 tsp. Sugar
    Pinch of celery seeds
    2 tbs. dry red wine
    1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    2 tbs. grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
    Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet over med.-high heat. Add the chicken and saute, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 10 min. Combine the chicken and next 5 ingredients in the crock pot. Cover and cook on LOW until the chicken is cooked through and a meat thermometers registers 170 degrees - approximately 6-8 hrs. Combine the cheeses in a small bowl and sprinkle them over the chicken. Don't stir. Cook until the cheeses are melted, about 15 min.

Serves 4
    Each Serving = 6 Weight Watchers Points

Read more: http://www.laaloosh.com/2008/07/10/crock-pot-chicken-parmesan-recipe/#ixzz1Q0saRQb0
  • live4something
    live4something Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Go to www.skinnytaste.com, she has some great crockpot recipes.
  • daliberti
    daliberti Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A really easy recipe is to take a few(depending on how big your slow cooker is) chicken breasts, thawed, and put the in the pot. Cover with salsa, I like to use black bean and corn salsa, and turn on low for 5ish hours. You can serve it over rice, or shred it and use it for tacos. It's one of the easiest meals I make. Even my kids love it(ages 2, 4, and 6). I have a 3 quart slow cooker and I usually use 2-3 chicken breasts in it and a half a jar of salsa.
  • kiki75243
    kiki75243 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kevin2406
    kevin2406 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lashleyrivera
    Options
    Bump
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Try the "Fit It and Forget It Lightly" cookbook. Excellent and easy recipes. My favorites are chili recipes (nothing in my opinion is as good as a rich chli in the crock pot) and this mexican corn bread recipe I tried.