Demoralised from Science :( Gained 3 Pounds

Options

Replies

• Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Wait... are you saying you burned 1,500 calories from walking everyday? So you were eating 1,500 (at most) and then BURNING THEM ALL from walking? I find that to be.... highly unlikely?

Remember our bodies aren't on a timeline like we think. Just because we go by weeks, doesn't mean out bodies do. Have you measured yourself? Have you lost inches? Did you eat something heavy before your weigh in? At the same time? (morning/evening/night).

Honestly, if you're truly being strict and measuring out food, and reading labels right, there shouldn't be any reason you're not losing. The best thing i was ever told: Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym
  • AamirKhan2016
    AamirKhan2016 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lack of sleep, stress, hormonal change (temporary), etc. There are so many variables. If you were eating the same amount (1200-1500) and exercising, then OF COURSE your weight would likely go down. If you're not exercising now, your body isn't burning as many calories as before.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yeah i will be back to my routine because one thing i clearly know that "lose weight without exercise by creating deficit'' didnt work for me.
    I will be back to my routine i will eat 1500-1800 calories and will burn 1000+ calories.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lack of sleep, stress, hormonal change (temporary), etc. There are so many variables. If you were eating the same amount (1200-1500) and exercising, then OF COURSE your weight would likely go down. If you're not exercising now, your body isn't burning as many calories as before.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yeah i will be back to my routine because one thing i clearly know that "lose weight without exercise by creating deficit'' didnt work for me.
    I will be back to my routine i will eat 1500-1800 calories and will burn 1000+ calories.
    So your math is the problem. If you ate 1200 calories with no exercise, your NET is 1200. If your eat 1500-1800 and burn 1000, your NET is 500-800. That's a BIG difference and it's NO WONDER you gained weight.
    Also why in the hell are you netting less than a 1000 calories a day? Not ideal, ESPECIALLY for a male. Your resting metabolic rate will drop significantly and that's where you burn the most body fat.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Are you eating the same amount of calories you ate when you were exercising?
    I ask because a lot of people don't eat any exercise calories back, MFP expects you to, then when they stop exercising their weight loss slows.

Also have you recalculated your calories since you lost 37 lbs? MFP prompts you to do so every 10 lbs lost. As we lose weight we need fewer calories to sustain our smaller bodies.

Eating between 1200-1500 without knowing your starting point, stats, or goals, doesn't give us enough information to help you.

Cheers, h.

Height: 5'10
    CW: 246 lb
    When i quit exercising My weight was 243 lb.
    Today i checked my weight in the morning it is 246.5 lb now.
    And I don't weigh myself linearly i mean i weigh myself after 20 or 25 days.

Are you eating the same amount of calories you ate when you were exercising?
    Yeah when i was exercising i was eating same amount of calories I am eating now. I was burning 1500+ calories by walking 3.7 mph pace.
    and yeah i know that was not right thing to do.

have you recalculated your calories since you lost 37 lbs?
    I am logging each and everything daily and its been 3 weeks I am not burning any calories by exercise. In these 3 weeks i believed on this approach
    (A+B)-C=D
    A= Calories Burned by Exercise
    B= BMR
    C= Consumed Calories
    D= Deficit

for 3 weeks i was like
    A=0, B=2200, C=1200 to 1500
    D=700 to 1000

and Thank you so much for this response.

Ok so now you are not walking you are not burning the same amount of calories.
    You are not in a deficit anymore.
    You will need to drop your calories or start walking again.

Your calorie needs are less since you lost weight. Hypothetically: a 250 lbs body would be at a deficit at 2000 calories per day. A 200 lbs body would be at maintainance at 2000 cals a day. A lighter body needs less calories.
    Every 10 lbs you lose go into MFP and adjust your goal with your current weight.

Let MFP do the maths.
    You would be much better just putting your stats into MFP, 1.5lbs a week should be a comfortable deficit, eating the calories it allots you. The amount you are eating now will drain your daily energy levels, make the weight loss too difficult to maintain, and lead to health problems in the long term.
    If you decide to exercise, even a good long walk, log it and eat back 50% of those calories.
    Weigh and measure everything that goes in your mouth, even packaged foods.

Give this 6-8 weeks.
    Cheers, h.
  • Nicklebee93
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Its been 3 weeks i am not exercising and eating 1200 -- 1500 calories. Average deficit week 4000 calories per week. I gained weight 3 pounds.

When i was exercising i was losing weight. Was walking 12+ miles daily and was losing weight linearly. This is how i lost 37 Pounds. You say you burn almost 1,500+ walking

What did I wrong? Confused.
    Should I believe in deficit or not or exercise is everything about weight loss.
    I mean i always believe in calories deficit but I am disappointed.

So... Say you eat 1,500, then you're burning it ALL off, which is leaving you at 0 calories... And if you only eat 1,200 that means you're -200. That makes no sense? That means you're starving yourself? If what you're saying is actually true, your body is going into starvation mode? Are you noticing "bad" things happening to your body? Getting tired? Headaches? Anything?

You're doing something wrong either way. You're either A: Starving yourself or B: Logging wrong.

And since you're bigger, know what you lost so far could very much be water weight. You didn't gain all that weight in 3 weeks, you're not going to lose it all in 3 weeks!
  • AamirKhan2016
    Options
    n1cholee93 wrote: »
    Wait... are you saying you burned 1,500 calories from walking everyday? So you were eating 1,500 (at most) and then BURNING THEM ALL from walking? I find that to be.... highly unlikely?

Remember our bodies aren't on a timeline like we think. Just because we go by weeks, doesn't mean out bodies do. Have you measured yourself? Have you lost inches? Did you eat something heavy before your weigh in? At the same time? (morning/evening/night).

Honestly, if you're truly being strict and measuring out food, and reading labels right, there shouldn't be any reason you're not losing. The best thing i was ever told: Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym

Lets say if i have eaten something before weighing. (I didnt eat anything only one glass of water)
    Still I created deficit of at least 3500 to 4500 per week. Average 4000
    when i stopped exercise my weigh was 243 lb and its been 3 weeks as i created calories deficit i should be of 240 lb (3500 calories * 3 Weeks = 1 Pound * 3 weeks).
    As i say lets say i have eaten something today before weighing so that eating few calories increased my weight to 246.5 lb.
    This is the point where i am disappointed from calories deficit.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Its been 3 weeks i am not exercising and eating 1200 -- 1500 calories. Average deficit week 4000 calories per week. I gained weight 3 pounds.

When i was exercising i was losing weight. Was walking 12+ miles daily and was losing weight linearly. This is how i lost 37 Pounds. You say you burn almost 1,500+ walking

So... Say you eat 1,500, then you're burning it ALL off, which is leaving you at 0 calories... And if you only eat 1,200 that means you're -200. That makes no sense? That means you're starving yourself? If what you're saying is actually true, your body is going into starvation mode? Are you noticing "bad" things happening to your body? Getting tired? Headaches? Anything?

You're doing something wrong either way. You're either A: Starving yourself or B: Logging wrong.

And since you're bigger, know what you lost so far could very much be water weight. You didn't gain all that weight in 3 weeks, you're not going to lose it all in 3 weeks!

Starvation mode doesn't exist....
  • Nicklebee93
    Options

From what i've seen, it does. Trying to eat only 1,200 calories and working out resulted in 0 pounds lost. Upping calories to 1,500 calories has started the weight loss back up. And a number of others have said the same thing. My point is, it's still unhealthy to burn off everything when we need the fuel just to survive. What is the OP suppose to do when he reaches his goals and wants to stop walking? He's going to gain back. That means he's doing something wrong and it's best he figures it out now.

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    To be honest from your posts here thus far I think your logging is way off. It's true that you burn less when you don't exercise, but on a true 1200 to 1500 calories per day on your stats, the weight should still be coming off.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

From what i've seen, it does. Trying to eat only 1,200 calories and working out resulted in 0 pounds lost. Upping calories to 1,500 calories has started the weight loss back up. And a number of others have said the same thing. My point is, it's still unhealthy to burn off everything when we need the fuel just to survive. What is the OP suppose to do when he reaches his goals and wants to stop walking? He's going to gain back. That means he's doing something wrong and it's best he figures it out now.

people die in starvation
  • Colorscheme
    edited March 2016
    Options

No, it does. not. exist. If you burned off absolutely everything you ate and starvation mode was real, anorexics and holocaust victims [excluding the ones that died of disease] wouldn't die. Instead, they would store fat. But because starvation mode isn't real, people do indeed die from starvation. Happens all the time in third world countries.

My money is on the OP doing something wrong. Either overestimating his burns, tdee or the food he eats, or both.

OP, how are you calculating your TDEE?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

+1

I am a recovered anorexic. I lost weight fast on 500 calories a day plus cardio. I guess I should have been fat instead of stick thin
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,153 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10" about 104Kilos (230 or so pounds I think it converts to) male and closing in on 50. I eat 2100 calories a day, and don't exercise that much and I still lose. There is something wrong if you, who are half my age, are supposedly eating 1200-1500 calories a day and not eating unless you essentially take your net calories to zero by walking. My thought is that you are eating far more than you think you are, or you have some major medical issue. If I ate 1500 calories a day I would drop weight far faster. For that matter for a male to be under 1500 calories, assuming I am wrong and you are not eating more than you think you are, you are eating far too little and will be losing huge amounts of muscle.

In terms of eating more than you think you are, since you say you are weighing your food (hopefully to the gram) it could be that the foods you are choosing from the Myfitnesspal database are incorrect in the calorie numbers they have, that is, that the number they have is far lower than it should be, thus the number you get for the weight of food you are eating is incorrect.

No matter what, you either have had the weight you lose hidden by water weight, or you are simply eating more than you think you are.
  • Maxematics
    Options

From what you've seen? Elaborate please. I ask because I agree that starvation mode does not exist and the people who say they ate more and lost weight either a) started to log more accurately because they had more calories to play with, b) didn't give the original deficit enough time and decided after one week of no weight loss they were in "starvation mode" and when they ate more for one day then saw the scale drop, it was their "proof".
  • Nicklebee93
    edited March 2016
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

From what you've seen? Elaborate please. I ask because I agree that starvation mode does not exist and the people who say they ate more and lost weight either a) started to log more accurately because they had more calories to play with, b) didn't give the original deficit enough time and decided after one week of no weight loss they were in "starvation mode" and when they ate more for one day then saw the scale drop, it was their "proof".

I did a 1,200 calorie "diet" for 3 weeks. And i did workouts for about 45 minutes 6x a week. Besides the point of going to bed hungry/waking up hungry i didn't lose a single pound outside my first week.

Week 1- 5 pounds
    Week 2- 0 pounds
    Week 3- Gained 3

Now i just started actively using this site, so i logged most of my calories in notebook paper. Mind you i started at 165 pounds. Im at 145 pounds now.

Breakfast: Fruit
    Snack: Veggies
    Lunch: Hard boiled eggs
    Snack: fruit bar
    Dinner: Chicken/Veggies

Most added up to about 1,200 calories. A little less or a little more depending on what i ate. And mind you i worked out 6x a week. 2x with weight and the rest with aerobics. And i went as hard as a could, sweat dripping down my face. Walked my dog a good 40 minutes each day. Even rode my bike on our nicer days. There was no reason not to drop weight.

Maybe i screwed up on my second week? Maybe i shouldn't of had any bread? Maybe i shouldn't of had that silk milk? Weight loss is different for everyone. Maybe if i continued to eat 1,200 it would of all just melted off? I don't know. I'm losing weight but feeling like i was starving wasn't what i would call a good thing.

Maybe it is a myth. As in "you can't lose weight if you go below ____" But i do 100% agree in the fact of "starvation mode" makes you more EASILY gain weight back. " Semi-starvation diets don’t work long-term for this simple reason – under ordinary pressures, when eating resumes, people put the weight back on and oftentimes, gain more."
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

I did a 1,200 calorie "diet" for 3 weeks. And i did workouts for about 45 minutes 6x a week. Besides the point of going to bed hungry/waking up hungry i didn't lose a single pound outside my first week.

Week 1- 5 pounds
    Week 2- 0 pounds
    Week 3- Gained 3

Now i just started actively using this site, so i logged most of my calories in notebook paper. Mind you i started at 165 pounds. Im at 145 pounds now.

Breakfast: Fruit
    Snack: Veggies
    Lunch: Hard boiled eggs
    Snack: fruit bar
    Dinner: Chicken/Veggies

Most added up to about 1,200 calories. A little less or a little more depending on what i ate. And mind you i worked out 6x a week. 2x with weight and the rest with aerobics. And i went as hard as a could, sweat dripping down my face. Walked my dog a good 40 minutes each day. Even rode my bike on our nicer days. There was no reason not to drop weight.

Maybe i screwed up on my second week? Maybe i shouldn't of had any bread? Maybe i shouldn't of had that silk milk? Weight loss is different for everyone. Maybe if i continued to eat 1,200 it would of all just melted off? I don't know. I'm losing weight but feeling like i was starving wasn't what i would call a good thing.

3 weeks is too short to tell. You could have retained fluid, etc. I lost 3+ lbs a week from my underweight body on 500 calories plus I exercised so probably netted below 0.
  • Nicklebee93
    edited March 2016
    Options
    double post... sorry
  • AamirKhan2016
    Options

No, it does. not. exist. If you burned off absolutely everything you ate and starvation mode was real, anorexics and holocaust victims [excluding the ones that died of disease] wouldn't die. Instead, they would store fat. But because starvation mode isn't real, people do indeed die from starvation. Happens all the time in third world countries.

My money is on the OP doing something wrong. Either overestimating his burns, tdee or the food he eats, or both.

I am not calculating my TDEE i already mentioned above my approach
    (A+B)-C=D
    A= Calories i burned by exercise which i am not doing for 3 weeks.
    B= BMR (only BMR, zero activity yeah i mean it because of papers i am not even moving lol, activity of 3 weeks= study, logging of food lol and washroom if you count these in TDEE then you are most welcomed :smiley:
    C= Calories i consumed/take in
    D= Deficit

This is only i am doing for 3 weeks and this was the main reason of this post that i created deficit of 3500-4000 calories and I gained weight.
  • Maxematics
    Options
    Any chance you'd be willing to open your diary? I think there is a disconnect here.
  • Colorscheme
    edited March 2016
    Options

I am not calculating my TDEE i already mentioned above my approach
    (A+B)-C=D
    A= Calories i burned by exercise which i am not doing for 3 weeks.
    B= BMR (only BMR, zero activity yeah i mean it because of papers i am not even moving lol, activity of 3 weeks= study, logging of food lol and washroom if you count these in TDEE then you are most welcomed :smiley:
    C= Calories i consumed/take in
    D= Deficit

This is only i am doing for 3 weeks and this was the main reason of this post that i created deficit of 3500-4000 calories and I gained weight.

How are you calculating your BMR, and calculating exercise? are you using a online calculator for those things, or a device like a Fitbit, Garmin, Jawbone, etc? If it's the first, then it could simply be that your math is off. My Fitbit says my BMR is around 1600, while online calculators say 1473-1500. I wouldn't know that if I didn't have a device to tell me that.

Your BMR is about 2300 cals a day, which means a deficit of 1100 cals a day, which means in a week, 7700 cals from deficit, which equals 2.2 lb weight loss per week. So clearly, something you're doing is wrong.