Question on lifting vs cardio

Options
So I am 395lbs and my goal is 250 ish. I plan on logging my calories with a 1.5 lb weekly goal. I plan on doing weights at the gym 3-4x a week. My question is if I want to lose fat, lose weight, and hit a goal weight of 250 lbs, will doing weights cause the scale to NOT move down because I will be gaining some muscle mass?

Replies

• becbo22
    becbo22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If you are eating at a deficit, you will gain very little muscle. Building muscle requires a calorie surplus. Lifting is very important to preserve the muscle you already have while losing fat.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    So I am 395lbs and my goal is 250 ish. I plan on logging my calories with a 1.5 lb weekly goal. I plan on doing weights at the gym 3-4x a week. My question is if I want to lose fat, lose weight, and hit a goal weight of 250 lbs, will doing weights cause the scale to NOT move down because I will be gaining some muscle mass?

In the long run, no, it will not cause the scale to not move down. In the short term, when you are first starting to lift, you may see no movement on the scale for a few weeks. Some people see a slight increase for the first few weeks of lifting. This is because when you first lift weights your muscles start retaining water to help with the repair process. This is not fat gain though (since it's just water) and as long as you are eating in a calorie deficit your body will still continue to use its fat stores to make up for that deficit.

At a certain point, the water retention issue will subside and the scale will move again. When I look back at my weight log, I gained 3 pounds the month I started lifting weights and the next month I lost 3 pounds. I was just 4 pounds over the top of the healthy range for my height (per BMI.) I am unsure if heavier people are more or less prone to see a stall or gain so I'm not sure what your experience will be.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

In the long run, no, it will not cause the scale to not move down. In the short term, when you are first starting to lift, you may see no movement on the scale for a few weeks. Some people see a slight increase for the first few weeks of lifting. This is because when you first lift weights your muscles start retaining water to help with the repair process. This is not fat gain though (since it's just water) and as long as you are eating in a calorie deficit your body will still continue to use its fat stores to make up for that deficit.

At a certain point, the water retention issue will subside and the scale will move again. When I look back at my weight log, I gained 3 pounds the month I started lifting weights and the next month I lost 3 pounds. I was just 4 pounds over the top of the healthy range for my height (per BMI.) I am unsure if heavier people are more or less prone to see a stall or gain so I'm not sure what your experience will be.

All of this. You'll be very happy you started weight training so don't let a "stall" from water weight deter you.

• Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Muscle burns fat. Build muscle and boost your metabolism.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options

Nope, nope, and nope.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

You need a calorie surplus to build muscle
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Someone who weighs 395 lbs already has a crap ton of muscle.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

You need a calorie surplus to build muscle

No you don't. To maximize muscle gain, yes, but it is possible to build muscle and lose fat, even with a deficit.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Muscle does not burn fat. It does burn calories. A calorie deficit will cause fat stores to be used to make up for the remaining energy/calories.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Can you build muscle while burning fat, while on a deficit, absolutely. Will you gain as much compared to being on a surplus, no. Weight is only part of the equation. Your BMI (body mass index), is a more accurate way of tracking your progress. Do low intensity cardio to burn fat. The key is to burn more calories then you intake. Weight training helps you increase your metabolism. The more lean muscle you have, the more efficiently your body will burn fat.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    A 395lb person weight training, even in a deficit, is probably going to gain some muscle. That's not really news.

A trained person with a healthy BMI, weight training in a deficit-most likely not.
  • billsrule2015
    billsrule2015 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    So I should see the scale eventually hit 250 lbs if I am in a calorie deficit plus if I lift weights?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    So I should see the scale eventually hit 250 lbs if I am in a calorie deficit plus if I lift weights?

You will hit 250lbs just through a sustained (and sustainable....) calorie deficit - that's where the loss comes from.
    Weights (and cardio) are great things to do but don't be under any illusion that exercise is going to be your main source of weight loss.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @becbo22 @malibu927
    "Building muscle requires a calorie surplus. "
    "You need a calorie surplus to build muscle "

I know you mean well but you are repeating a myth that just leads to confusion.
    A lie told often enough becomes the truth." - Lenin

Please apply some context to the individual rather than make absolute statements.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Can you build muscle while burning fat, while on a deficit, absolutely. Will you gain as much compared to being on a surplus, no. Weight is only part of the equation. Your BMI (body mass index), is a more accurate way of tracking your progress. Do low intensity cardio to burn fat. The key is to burn more calories then you intake. Weight training helps you increase your metabolism. The more lean muscle you have, the more efficiently your body will burn fat.

Exactly this! Don't give up just because the scale doesn't do what you think it should. You will see your body change! You don't need a lot of cardio, either - 20 minutes of HIIT a couple of days each week. And weight - lift those weights! Besides getting fit and feeling better, it does wonders for your self-esteem!
  • oedipuss
    oedipuss Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you think you are retaining water which is adding to weight, don't slack off on the drinking of water thinking it will help, it doesn't work like that! If anything increase your water intake, especially so on cardio/weight lifting days.
    I know it seems a bit of a "huh?" but regular water intake is really important.
  • becbo22
    becbo22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    @becbo22 @malibu927
    "Building muscle requires a calorie surplus. "
    "You need a calorie surplus to build muscle "

I know you mean well but you are repeating a myth that just leads to confusion.
    A lie told often enough becomes the truth." - Lenin

Please apply some context to the individual rather than make absolute statements.

My point was that the amount of muscle you are able to gain on a calorie deficit is not likely enough to make the scale move upward. It is more likely the culprit would be water retention from muscle repair.