Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred?!??!

Options
Has anybody done it? Opinions? Results? Or any better suggestions? I'm not going to a gym, I want to get to some level of active before I start paying for a gym membership.

Thanks all! Add me

Replies

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I was doing it but had to stop because I hurt my knee and couldn't workout for 6 weeks ....its tough on the knees if you are heavy like me so just be careful
  • maggiemooo182
    maggiemooo182 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That's actually really helpful, I may need to drop a little more before attempting
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    You're welcome...I workout at home ....just finished rockin body and hip hop abs by shaun T (very fun) ...I just ordered Cize also by Shaun T which I will be getting next week .....if you like walking I would recommend leslie sansone walking dvd's you can get at walmart or target or you can look online ..they are great workouts and great when the weather is not so good ...
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I did it and swapped out any high impact moves for step ups.

The high impact side is the cardio so substituting anything that raises your heartbeat is fine.

With all these types of programmes adjust to suit your needs at the time.

If the stated weigh is too high use lower or just your body weight, conversely if it isn't enough of a workout up the ante by adding complexity and weight.

It is a good short work out, try it, if you don't like it move on.

Cheers, h.

You can find a lot of these programmes free on line.
  • koslowkj
    koslowkj Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I haven't ever done it the whole way through, but I've done it on an odd day. It's an intense workout, especially if you aren't used to it, but short, and she's good at giving options if something is too difficult.
  • laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I've personally found it quite useful. I did the level one workout on days between going to the gym. As far as I am aware, it is not a big calorie burner. However, I've found it has built my strength quite quickly. I notice that sitting up, reaching down to get things and getting up again, opening heavy doors, they're all easier for me.

The level one workout is hard on the knees. You may want to try alternative types of lunges and see which is easiest.

The level 2 workout, which I attempted ages ago and couldn't do, I tried it again a couple of days ago and now I can do it. It's very plank heavy. Make sure you're completely happy with the push up section of level one before moving onto level two.
  • mholly811
    mholly811 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Has anybody done it? Opinions? Results? Or any better suggestions? I'm not going to a gym, I want to get to some level of active before I start paying for a gym membership.

Thanks all! Add me

Thanks all! Add me

• mholly811
    mholly811 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Okay I obviously don't know how to use threads >_< lol anyway. I LOVE thirty day shred and YES it works. I'm 4'11 and weigh 156 pounds. In order to see results you have to eat right too though. Jillian has two team mates. Natalie is more advanced and Anita does a modified version. The first day you may take a couple of breaths because it's intense but the second and third day it gets easier. You're working your small muscles in with big muscles which means you burn more calories. Best of Luck doll!
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym. I do dvds at home and love 30DS! Definitely try it!
  • srednamocha
    srednamocha Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just pickedup.30 day shred from the library. My plan is to pay myself 5$ everyday I do it. Then when I loose the weight I will have money for new clothes.
  • dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I tried but it's killing my knees
  • Chiqui74
    Chiqui74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've started it three times, but have never finished it. One of those times I made it through the first day of the second phase. It's hard, especially if you are not otherwise fit, but it does get easier. For me, the problem is boredom. It gets boring to the same workout for ten days. That's the real challenge for me and I haven't been able to overcome it.
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,733 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I would recommend it. Go at your own pace. I can say it has absolutely helped change my body composition and strength. I'm a big fan of JM body weight exercises in combo with cardio. I see more muscle definition when I incorporate the HITT. The HITT also improves my run endurance.

PS- meeting goals without a gym membership
  • Hallie82
    Hallie82 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love 30 day shred I recommend it to everyone. Level 2 is the most difficult out of all 3 levels (I believe anyways). I got great results. I didn't lose a bunch of weight but it's definitely one you want to keep track of through before, during and after photos for the physical change. She does have a modifier to make some moves easier to follow. I'm planning on starting this again using heavier weights (I did 3 first I want to get to 5)
  • maggiemooo182
    Options
    Thanks to all! I'm gonna order and try it, if it hurts my knees I'll just take a break until I get more fit
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
  • Healthy4me4ever
    Healthy4me4ever Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I got the DVD on Thursday and had a go at level one on Friday. It was hard but I love it. Did alternative exercise Sat and today I have a cold so just went for a long walk instead. Hoping I feel better in the morning so I can start it for real.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I like it as part of a workout, but it's not a great idea to work the same muscles every day. I think variety is a better choice. Try YouTube for complementary workouts, or borrow others from the library to fill in. Jillian has a more varied programme/program for sale, and I think it's just over $50 on Amazon. Not sure how that converts to euros but still much cheaper than the gym.

Just checked...Jillian Michaels body revolution $55.99, 15 DVDs, 90 d program.
  • maggiemooo182
    Options
    Thanks! I really didn't think about needing to mix things up, I'm gonna look up that body revolution right now though
  • VansBel374
    VansBel374 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I actually started with JM 30 day beginner shred. I have bad knees, and only one or two of the exercises bother my one knee. In those instances, I just switch the exercise so it doesn't hurt my knee. I'm enjoying it so far, on day 13, the second routine.