Single Mom Help

I'm a single mom with two small-ish children, they are 3 and 5. I don't do well working out at home but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get exercise outside the home. My kids only have child care while I'm working, no extra time there is allowed. They are too big to ride in a stroller but too small to walk far enough for it to count as a work out for me. They are also too uncoordinated to ride their bikes very far. Any ideas? I know there must be something I'm missing.

Replies

• cmjohnson53
    cmjohnson53 Posts: 61 Member
    Get them involved at home with you, even though it's not worked well thus far. Try something like Leslie Sansome's Walk At Home videos, you can make it fun for them.
  • samwiserabbit
    samwiserabbit Posts: 153 Member
    What is it about working out at home that's hard for you?
  • caroline_bartlett
    caroline_bartlett Posts: 3 Member
    That's tough; can you help us understand why working out at home is difficult for you? It is equipment, space, distractions, or motivation? Have you considered one of those bike trailers? http://www.amazon.com/bike-trailers/b?ie=UTF8&node=3403501
  • kdcomstock89
    kdcomstock89 Posts: 54 Member
    I just have a terrible time with motivation at home. I just won't do it or I'll give it half effort or quit early. If I get to the gym I can convince myself to work out hard. If I can get to one of the parks around my house I'll run/walk the whole path.
  • kdcomstock89
    kdcomstock89 Posts: 54 Member
    That's tough; can you help us understand why working out at home is difficult for you? It is equipment, space, distractions, or motivation? Have you considered one of those bike trailers? http://www.amazon.com/bike-trailers/b?ie=UTF8&node=3403501

I forgot all about those things! That could work for a while!
  • kat_para_
    kat_para_ Posts: 34 Member
    I have no kids, but we all have the same struggles lol. Currently I'm trying to start off slow, I'm only committing to doing 75 kettlebell swings a day. It doesn't take much time, only requires one piece of equipment, and targets many muscles in only one exercise.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited March 2016
    Some gyms have child care. Do you have a neighborhood kid you can pay to watch the littles while you workout at home? Maybe it would be easier to focus on making the most of a home workout if you had planned (paid) for it?

For several years my workplace had a gym and the culture was accepting of working out at lunch. I realize that's rare, but if you can make it work, it's a great solution. Best of luck!
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    A lot of gyms have daycare rooms. Also, my daughter really enjoyed working out with me in those ages. She would copy my yoga poses and do p90x with me because it looked fun to her. I even got her a jumprope so she could jumprope with me.

I also started taking her to the gym at 3 yrs old. She will enjoy herself on the treadmill or do box jumps, while I lift weights. Though, sometimes she would want to copy me, so Id give her the 1lb grandma weights
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Though I want to add, I took her to a large playground and her and her friends all played tag with me. I got a huge workout sprinting around, jumping and climbing, and doing parkour through the playset for an hr or so. I was flat worn out with legs that had stiffened up and gave me that "you will regret this" sore feeling.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I am going to throw out a bunch of ideas and the ones that work are the ones that stick.

Running or walking group at lunch hour.

Park farther out from your destination in the morning and walk/run to and from.

Have your "exercise time" with your children. It won't be as intense, coordinated or organized, but that comes with the age.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xn3mMmy_ghY
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    kparadon wrote: »
    I have no kids, but we all have the same struggles lol. Currently I'm trying to start off slow, I'm only committing to doing 75 kettlebell swings a day. It doesn't take much time, only requires one piece of equipment, and targets many muscles in only one exercise.

Just love kettle bell swings, really works the whole body, especially the stomach area.