How often to run?

Options
I absolutely love running now that I can! I started June 1st and for 265lbs I am in decent shape and running 2-3 miles daily. I was just wondering is it okay to run daily I have only not ran once this month and feel good so should I slow down?

Replies

• Pixie7210
    Pixie7210 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love running aswell. I can't do it as often as I would like though. I think you should do what feels right and makes you happy.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I'd take at least one day off a week to allow some recovery time. Perhaps try crosstraining one other day a week.

Otherwise, if your body is accepting it... Go for it!
  • MMAsac
    MMAsac Posts: 191
    Options
    yeah if your just jogging then you should be fine, if you notice any discomfort, give yourself a rest day in between runs. You should have alteast 1 rest day a week, for everything rest properly.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i run everyday, but running is actually REALLY bad for you. super hard on your joints and stuff. but it's a good workout. Just listen to you body.
  • jeffrodgers1
    Options
    i run everyday, but running is actually REALLY bad for you. super hard on your joints and stuff. but it's a good workout. Just listen to you body.

And your source is? Sorry but it is a myth. Running has been proven to strengthen your joints and increase your bone density.
    Here are a few articles about this;

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1948208,00.html

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-285--12232-0,00.html

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/on-fitness/2008/08/12/3-myths--and-1-truth--about-running-and-your-health

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8170264.stm
  • canamoc
    canamoc Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have been running a number of years and am once again on a forced rest period, I always end up with injuries when I run everyday. Now I am waiting for bone scan to check for stress fractures due to so much running on hard surfaces, so currently can only do no-impact exercise, and I hate everything really but running.... so I am biking, but bummed about it.!!! My Dr was quite adamant that I should only run every other day to give my body time to recover as running is hard on joints and muscles and without recovery time it can do damage. I used to run 3 long a week and 5 short, my short being a quick 5-6k and my long being 12+k........ now I am a sad biker...... I say if you can find something else you enjoy then alternate back and forth. It SERIOUSLY sucks not being able to run and my Dr has warned me that if I don't take this period (and the bone scan) to recover then I may end up with more serious injuries and really ruin my chances of running long term..... That's just my experience and IMHO.
  • jeffrodgers1
    Options
    I have been running a number of years and am once again on a forced rest period, I always end up with injuries when I run everyday. Now I am waiting for bone scan to check for stress fractures due to so much running on hard surfaces, so currently can only do no-impact exercise, and I hate everything really but running.... so I am biking, but bummed about it.!!! My Dr was quite adamant that I should only run every other day to give my body time to recover as running is hard on joints and muscles and without recovery time it can do damage. I used to run 3 long a week and 5 short, my short being a quick 5-6k and my long being 12+k........ now I am a sad biker...... I say if you can find something else you enjoy then alternate back and forth. It SERIOUSLY sucks not being able to run and my Dr has warned me that if I don't take this period (and the bone scan) to recover then I may end up with more serious injuries and really ruin my chances of running long term..... That's just my experience and IMHO.

Have you looked into the reasons why you are getting injured? You may want to look at your running form. I used to be a heavy heel striker and felt like I was constantly injured. Changed my form to more of a forefoot running style and am now running pain free.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I take 1 day off every week from exercize in general but other than that anything goes. if you feel good go for it!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting a running routine, I would really suggest running every other day, to allow your body to adjust and adapt. Running is hard on your bones and joints, and it will also strengthen them, (both of the posters in the above argument are correct to some degree, but they oversimplify things), but it takes your body some time to adjust and strengthen the bones and connective tissues in repsonse to the stress. So, if you start off slowly and build up, you are more likely to remain injury free. After you've been at it for some time, you can move up to 5-6 days per week, but it is always good to take a rest day to allow your body time to recover and rebuild. Cross-training on your off days is a good idea too, and helps to reduce the risk of injury because you use/strengthen other muscles, or use the same ones in different ways.
  • canamoc
    Options
    I kind of know why I get injure and when. It's always when I increase my hill work as I land hard when running down hill, I've tried to adjust my form, and I've tried to run slower and 'lighter' downhills but I am always clocking my runs and I am so stubborn I refuse to hear (from my iphone tracking) that my pace is slow, so I stupidly push myself to keep going and going fast, and when it hurts, I just push on through, hence why I am awaiting bone scan now for stress fractures..... bummed out. My previous injury was a torn meniscus, I just turned onto my street and it went.... thankfully it wasn't too bad and with rest from running and some physio I was able to get back into running within a few months.....
  • canamoc
    Options
    Bugger, not sure how you make that little blue box with the other persons writing, appear.... my above post was in response to Jeff.....
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I do 1 rest day a week from working out, and usually do a different type of cardio for another day. It really is up to you though. Just watch out for shin splints.
  • jeffrodgers1
    Options
    Bugger, not sure how you make that little blue box with the other persons writing, appear.... my above post was in response to Jeff.....

Hit the Quote button on the persons you are responding to.
  • poseyj88
    poseyj88 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    In my training for a race I actually only run 3 days a week. I think it's really depends on the surface you're running on. If it's pavement, I wouldn't do it more than 5 days a week personally. My knees just can't take the pounding (and yes, my form is fine). If you have nice trails or a cushion track to run on... I say just listen to your body!
  • jeffrodgers1
    Options
    I kind of know why I get injure and when. It's always when I increase my hill work as I land hard when running down hill, I've tried to adjust my form, and I've tried to run slower and 'lighter' downhills but I am always clocking my runs and I am so stubborn I refuse to hear (from my iphone tracking) that my pace is slow, so I stupidly push myself to keep going and going fast, and when it hurts, I just push on through, hence why I am awaiting bone scan now for stress fractures..... bummed out. My previous injury was a torn meniscus, I just turned onto my street and it went.... thankfully it wasn't too bad and with rest from running and some physio I was able to get back into running within a few months.....

Ahh... Hills! A classic culprit... and I see you know why now as well. When you are running downhill, people have an even greater tendency to heel strike AND they tend to go straight legged. Walk downhill and make sure you bend your knees as shock absorbtion. Straight legged is bad form and is hard on the muscles and tendons. Stretching is critical on hills as well. Very important to listen to your body.
  • canamoc
    Options

Ahh... Hills! A classic culprit... and I see you know why now as well. When you are running downhill, people have an even greater tendency to heel strike AND they tend to go straight legged. Walk downhill and make sure you bend your knees as shock absorbtion. Straight legged is bad form and is hard on the muscles and tendons. Stretching is critical on hills as well. Very important to listen to your body.

Thanks Jeff (hope this shows the quote now). I realize I should listen to my body and that I should walk down the hills, but I am a stubborn mule and despite knowing better, I am always trying for a new PB, always pushing for a quicker pace.... I need to get over the constant competition with myself and sometimes, like on hills, just run and walk and not listen so intensely for that pace!!! I was starting training for a half coming up and had planned each race throughout the year.... this is what happens when you plan things!!! Oh well, the biking is certainly different, strange I find that biking the same routes as I run, harder, must be using different muscles, but it's quite depressing that the calories are half!!!