Camping recipes needed!

Options
Kaecklund
Kaecklund Posts: 191 Member
I'm going camping for 2 nights for my birthday and I want to avoid the hot dogs, soda and chips whenever possible. Does anyone have any simple camping snacks/recipes? I must save my calories for the beer :)

Replies

• cgottel
    cgottel Posts: 22
    Options
    water instead of soda, granola and granola bars instead of chips, whole wheat buns for the hot dog or hamburgers, turkey burgers or vege burgers (if you like that kind of thing... I don't). Also, you're camping and are probably hiking and/or biking so make sure you factor in those exercise calories too. Good luck and have fun!
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Funny - we're headed out camping this weekend, too. Some of my (dinner) staples that are easy and healthy, are fajitas and kabobs. Have fun! :drinker:
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options
    This is a popular camping recipe so u may have already heard of it. Some people call them 'hobo meals'. You just put some hamburger (or ground turkey), baby carrots and cut-up potatoes and put them in tinfoil, fold it up (leaving enough room for air to circulate inside) and cook it directly in the fire. My kids love them when we go camping.
  • bonesfan
    bonesfan Posts: 9
    Options
    My favorite camping food is hobo pockets. It's chicken (or hamburger), potatoes, carrots, onions, butter, salt, pepper, and anything else you want all stuck in tin foil and folded up and cooked over the fire. Also, Hebrew National Fat Free Beef hotdogs are only 30 calories. I havn't tried them so don't know if they are any good or not, but it's an idea : )
  • _Jessica_
    _Jessica_ Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Kelly,
    Walmart carries a great chicken brat... they are called bistro sensations... YUMMMM!!!! I love my beer brats but I think i like these bette. Great flavor. My family likes them too, they never knew there were chicken until I told them. They come in flavors like spinich and motzerella, and all kinds of goodness. Fresh fruit is always a great thing to have plenty of... watermellon goes over great for us when we camp... If you are in need of chips and dip.... Buy a 12 oz or so sized container of greek plain yogurt, mix a packet of hidden valley ranch (for dipping vegies) or onion soup mix (for chips) Delish... I tried it out at a family event this weekend and no one knew it was yogurt, they did ask where I got the nice and think sour cream from... hahaha. Anothe4r thing I love is wheat thins flat breads with a dab of onion and chive cream cheese spread on top and a slice of tureky or chicken luncheon meat... YUMMMMMM YUMMMM!!!! Hope this helps some... I love my beer too!
  • owlwomyn
    owlwomyn Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Precook chicken breasts. Bring lots of salad stuff and fruits. Munch on a handful of almonds. Red grapes are great and so is cut up cantelope, strawberries and blueberries. Get some veggie chips or straws if you can too. Enjoy your birthday!
  • _Jessica_
    Options
    water instead of soda, granola and granola bars instead of chips, whole wheat buns for the hot dog or hamburgers, turkey burgers or vege burgers (if you like that kind of thing... I don't). Also, you're camping and are probably hiking and/or biking so make sure you factor in those exercise calories too. Good luck and have fun!

They also now make hot dog thins for buns that are whole wheat just like the hamburger buns... I like these too :)
  • kmapmp
    kmapmp Posts: 5
    Options
    I go thru this same problem everytime we go camping...what to eat thats good for you while quick and easy to cook. What I found was preping before hand of chicken kabobs and corn on the cob with chive butter, which can both be cooked over the camp fire and come out wicked yummy!!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Bring lots of fruits and vegetables for munching on.

Breakfast: Turkey bacon and eggs. Cereal and milk. Fruit salad. Oatmeal.
    Lunch: Tuna sandwich. Soup. Salad.
    Dinner: Chicken breast and grilled vegetables. Sweet Potato. Asparagus. Pork chops. Make your own hamburgers so you know what is in them. Seafood is good camping too. Mussels. Lobster. Shrimp.
  • LotsOtots5
    LotsOtots5 Posts: 174
    Options
    OMG. How can you go camping w/o having hotdogs for 3 days straight??!!
    I made some great breakfast burritos the last time I went camping. I got some egg beaters (for convenience), Jones all natural rice sausage (although any sausage will do, these are quite tasty and considerably less calories/fat than conventional sausage) and some mission whole wheat tortillas. First brown the sausages in a pan (we were using a pan in a campfire, doesn't get more campy than that!!). Chop them up. Add eggs. Stir constantly or ELSE!! Set your pan somewhere once the eggs are done and then toast your tortillas on the fire. FOR REAL, the mission tortillas actually tast good if you heat them in the fire. Then spoon onto tortillas! You could probably add some salsa but I didn't. I was just glad to get my kids to eat eggs with something mixed into them!
    You could also make shishkabobs (sp???? i know i butchered that one). just prep all your stuff before you go and stick it on the sticks when you get out there.
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    We need a camping recipe group!! I have problems trying to come up with healthy things to take camping as well.

I do the hobo meals - we call them "foil meals" with chicken and veggies or even fish or shrimp. Breakfast is usually a cowboy omelet. Eggs, bacon, onion, green peppers, mushrooms and/or whatever you like all made up in one big cast iron pan.

Lunches are our downfall, because I don't do bread, but we like to take something portable when we go fishing. So any ideas there would be great!

Pudgy Pies made with whole wheat bread can be great too. Some pizza sauce, moz cheese, a few real mushrooms. Mmmmm.

Try the new Summer Shandy beer from Leinnies! And have a great time! We're heading up north this weekend as well!
  • updowngirl
    updowngirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    We slice our favorite vegetables--zucchini, yelllow squash, carrots, onions, sweet potatoes etc and mix with a little olive oil and seasonings and put them in foil packets that can be grilled or set on the edges of a fire. You can pre make these before the trip. You could do chicken and veggie shish kabobs easiy and soak corn on the cob in water after removing the silk but leaving the husks on and grill or place in the fire edges. For breakfast pre make oatmeal and heat on the grill in a pan adding fruit and eggs are easy. Apples and cinnamon can be grilled like the veggies for snacks and so can bananas with a smidge of chocolate and a marshmellow. Have fun!!!!l
  • _Jessica_
    Options
    Pudgy Pies made with whole wheat bread can be great too. Some pizza sauce, moz cheese, a few real mushrooms. Mmmmm.

Try the new Summer Shandy beer from Leinnies! And have a great time! We're heading up north this weekend as well!

A) what are pudgy pies...
    B) Summer shandy is my favorite! Helps I was born in Chippewa Falls... home of Leinnies!!!
  • Suzy12
    Options
    For your birthday, try some smores - BUT use a Reese's Peanut butter cup instead of plain of Hershey's chocolate. OMG it is the best!!!!
  • _Jessica_
    Options
    For your birthday, try some smores - BUT use a Reese's Peanut butter cup instead of plain of Hershey's chocolate. OMG it is the best!!!!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHH!!!!!! THAT SOUNDS YUMO!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    we do lots of kebobs when camping, and ribs - just off the bone :)
  • 1crazymom
    1crazymom Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Hungrygirl' creamydreamy macaroni salad or picnic-perfect pasta salad both under 130 calories, for a heaping cupful! Grilled chicken or kabobs. Leaves room for beer:) Have fun! Happy Birthday!
    Summer Shandy yum:)
  • Kaecklund
    Kaecklund Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I love those chicken bratwurst things! Thanks for the ideas! Def gonna pick some of those things up! Chronic! I have no problem skimping on food, but I'm kind of a beer snob. No budweiser for me.
  • Suzy12
    Options

A) what are pudgy pies...
    B) Summer shandy is my favorite! Helps I was born in Chippewa Falls... home of Leinnies!!!

Hey neighbor! Just south of Green Bay here!! Pudgy Pies are made in "Pie Irons." They are two squares, usually cast iron, but they do make Teflon-coated ones (avoid!!) that are attached with a hinge and have long handles (think hot-dog fork). You can either butter the bread or spray Pam on them,then put a slice of bread in one iron and add your filling - ANY filling. Roast beef and swiss is wonderful! Pizza ingredients? Ditto! Cherry Pie filling? Oh yeah!!! Then top with the second piece of bread, fold the contraption over, and "lock" with the little "s" hook thingee. Roast in campfire like a marshmallow, turning often. Depending on what's inside it can take five to ten minutes. You can unhook and check if you need to.

The Pie Irons are actually two pieces which makes cleaning easy too. But when you open and are ready to eat, just unhinge the top iron from the bottom and flip your gem onto a plate and enjoy! Google Pie Iron recipes....you'll be amazed at what you can make in them. Even breakfast!