For the LADIES (or male doctors lol)

Options
Can weight loss effect your monthly cycle? I'm at least three or four days late, and I've had two negative pregnancy tests. Not really stressed or sick, so I can't think of anything else that may have me out of wack. It was way early last time, and this time it's late.

Just curious!

Replies

• misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have heard it can but I have never experienced it.
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Weight loss for sure can mess up your cycle. Mine is way out of whack right now. Early one month, late the next.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    It can for sure. If you are concerned about a possible pregnancy you can visit a free clinic for a test. :) Sometimes the at-home tests are not accurate.

If you do not think you are pregnant and are just wondering what on earth is going on down there - rest assured it is normal to be abnormal during the first few months of a 'new' you :)
  • aarn6911
    aarn6911 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am VERY active! Run for about an hour 3 days a week, do boxing classes a few days a week, ride horses, etc. And according to my doctor that is why I don't even get my period some months. So if you have been very active then your answer is Yes.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    It made mine more stable and less intense. I would pregnancy test again after about a week.

With my first son I had 4 negatives and then 2 positives.

With my ectopic I had 3 negatives and 4 positives.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yes, it can. Any big change in your body can effect it since so many hormones are involved.
  • _Jessica_
    _Jessica_ Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me... even did the 2 prego tests... it will even out after a while:)
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Yep, I used to be able to set my clock by mine. Now it comes almost a week early every month (always a surprise) and lasts for nearly 8 days. 8 days!!! UGH!!! You are not alone. ;-)
  • chaylajean
    chaylajean Posts: 26
    Options
    So I'm watching "I didn't know I was pregnant" right now and then i came across this hahaha. take another pregnancy test with your first urine of the day! (I took this advice from the show) /but if you have low body fat and are super fit, then yeah it can be a little off
  • mizjohnston
    mizjohnston Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am always three to four days late if I exercise a lot more than usual and I if I have lost weight quickly for that week. Normally I still stress because its not there and as soon as I take a test or talk about it it happens that night or the next day. Really weird. If it is not here by next week I would make a doctor's appointment to be sure.
  • Caitie1986
    Caitie1986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It's true! Your body is changing in all kinds of unseen ways when it comes to Cortisol- which has a direct effect on some of the sex hormones. You may be irregular for a while until you start to even out. Did you know- a drastic change in altitude (say from the coast to the top of the rockies) can also cause a change in your cycle.
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    I know that Ive been overweight pretty much my whole life and I almost never had my pd and when I did on that rare occasion it was the most painful thing ever! I have been told that weight definitely affects your reproductive system. If it bothers you a lot then maybe ask your doc :) Good luck!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes it can, which is why you can go 2-3 months without a period then have a lovely 2 week one! *grumble grumble grrrr* But I have a lovelyOBGYN for an uncle who gets my wonderful phone calls lol
  • mbeltran06
    mbeltran06 Posts: 57
    Options
    I have noticed that since I started working out and losing weight, my period is ALOT lighter than it used to be....and definitely shorter!
  • mcqlove87
    mcqlove87 Posts: 59
    Options
    Thanks Ladies! Thsi has helped a lot! We'll see what happens in the next couple of day, maybe even a third test :)
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    When I was younger, I played volleyball. When I would first start practicing for the season, I'd skip that month's period completely. After that, I'd be OK. I now am on BC and get it like clockwork.
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Yes! Mine only lasted one day this month.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Yes, its the same reason gymnast don't get periods until they stop. They don't have the body fat, your body is changing and loosing fat and thus confusing your hormones and ovaries
  • True_angel4ever
    Options
    I was going to ask this very same question, so i thank you for beating me to it! :) I was concerned bcuz i was 2 weeks early this month. At least now i know that it is possibly bcuz of the change i have put my body through!