Should I do 2 hours of cardio?

Options
Hey guys I'm 5'6, 218lbs.
I do 1.5hours (one and a half) of cardio followed by strength training depending on what day it is (arm day/leg day etc)
Is 1.5hours of cardio enough to lose weight? I lose 1000 calories within that time.
I do this 5 days a week.
I'm thinking if I should do 2 hours.
Pls help!

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Seems like overkill to me. Also, you risk overtraining and injury when doing that much. I think you should actually dial it back.

If you want to lose weight look to your calorie intake. As long as you maintain your calorie goal (which includes your deficit required to lose weight), then you will lose weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,628 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for fitness and health. Calorie deficit is for weight loss. You can do all the cardio you want in the world, but if you match the calorie burn with the same calories eaten, you won't lose weight. I'll refer you to a thread I created on this.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10346155/cardio-isnt-for-fat-burning/p1

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Nobody requires cardio to lose weight. But if you're going to do it. You don't need 2 hours of it a day. 30 min. To an hour is more than enough to build a deficit and gain health benefits from it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I lose 1000 calories within that time.

So I'd infer from these two points that you're not losing as fast as you think you should be?

Notwithstanding the points above if you're thinking of increasing your time that suggests to me that you see that as a way to burn more calories? I'd suggest that your problem is more that you're significantly overestimating your calorie expenditure during the 90 minutes you currently do.

What sort of cario do you do, and what makes you think you're burning 1000calories during the 90 minutes of that?

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Should I do 2 hours of cardio?

1384495694000-111713yes-no-maybe.jpg
  • JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It's a little tricky to saying "there is no fat burning exercise" Of course there is, the problem is there is no target fat loss on your body, you can't just lose fat in your stomach by doing crunches, running whatever! Although, you can lose overal body fat percentage which is usually the goal, and if not should be when losing fat. But as you'll see I WILL STRESS over and over know your maintenance calories.

It's an overall energy consumption, the body goes into fat stores when there is a deficit in energy regardless if from less food (less caloric intake) mixture of both or just an exercise energy deficit( being in a negative in calories from exercise) a deficit is a deficit regardless of how you are achieving it( though you fuel your body better when it has more food). Some people find just eating less is the best way for them, but statistically people in that category fail, as they tend to go back to not counting calories, not measuring their body and eating like they use to. So, don't forget consistency!

I can tell you I personally do a mixture of both eating less and cardio if I am trying to lose some fat. It should be noted that I do weight training too, so I will be a little different. Regardless, one pound of fat is potentially 3500 calories, so if you can have a negative 500 calories(if you're trying to lose 1 pounds a week, you could do half a pounds and make it even easier, 250 calories instead) everyday in some form or another the body should burn 1 pound of fat that is stored.( KNOW YOUR MAINTENANCE and keep updating as you go. ) I'm sure people will be like "you lose fluids, muscle and other stuff too." The ultimate goal is weight loss, not building tons of muscle... There are sacrifices in life when cutting weight, and putting on weight it's just how it is.

OP, I believe High Intensity cardio is the best for managing time and works better than JUST eating less food. Not to mention, If you do H.I.T with some weights it's even more calories burned as resistance has a longer after burn as the muscles are damaged and they require more energy to repair than running for 2 miles. You also get the opportunity to look better than JUST eating 500 less calories of food each day, a toned body looks great. If you could get toned from just eating less sign me up, but that is not how it works, we have to have resistance!

So yes, do your cardio, but also weight lifts if you can't lift do do some Calisthenics (body weight resistance like push ups, body squats) continue to watch your calories or take measurements.

I often see the real confusion coming from people exercising yet, still eat 3 double whoppers at Burger King, which are roughly 970 calories each or something similar! OUCH! So, I STRESS know your caloric maintenance, create a deficit with what is more convenient for you and you'll be fine!
  • FlabToFitty
    FlabToFitty Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    JoshLibby wrote: »
    It's a little tricky to saying "there is no fat burning exercise" Of course there is, the problem is there is no target fat loss on your body, you can't just lose fat in your stomach by doing crunches, running whatever! Although, you can lose overal body fat percentage which is usually the goal, and if not should be when losing fat. But as you'll see I WILL STRESS over and over know your maintenance calories.

It's an overall energy consumption, the body goes into fat stores when there is a deficit in energy regardless if from less food (less caloric intake) mixture of both or just an exercise energy deficit( being in a negative in calories from exercise) a deficit is a deficit regardless of how you are achieving it( though you fuel your body better when it has more food). Some people find just eating less is the best way for them, but statistically people in that category fail, as they tend to go back to not counting calories, not measuring their body and eating like they use to. So, don't forget consistency!

I can tell you I personally do a mixture of both eating less and cardio if I am trying to lose some fat. It should be noted that I do weight training too, so I will be a little different. Regardless, one pound of fat is potentially 3500 calories, so if you can have a negative 500 calories(if you're trying to lose 1 pounds a week, you could do half a pounds and make it even easier, 250 calories instead) everyday in some form or another the body should burn 1 pound of fat that is stored.( KNOW YOUR MAINTENANCE and keep updating as you go. ) I'm sure people will be like "you lose fluids, muscle and other stuff too." The ultimate goal is weight loss, not building tons of muscle... There are sacrifices in life when cutting weight, and putting on weight it's just how it is.

OP, I believe High Intensity cardio is the best for managing time and works better than JUST eating less food. Not to mention, If you do H.I.T with some weights it's even more calories burned as resistance has a longer after burn as the muscles are damaged and they require more energy to repair than running for 2 miles. You also get the opportunity to look better than JUST eating 500 less calories of food each day, a toned body looks great. If you could get toned from just eating less sign me up, but that is not how it works, we have to have resistance!

So yes, do your cardio, but also weight lifts if you can't lift do do some Calisthenics (body weight resistance like push ups, body squats) continue to watch your calories or take measurements.

I often see the real confusion coming from people exercising yet, still eat 3 double whoppers at Burger King, which are roughly 970 calories each or something similar! OUCH! So, I STRESS know your caloric maintenance, create a deficit with what is more convenient for you and you'll be fine!

Thank you so much for your infomartive response will be taking it all on board, cheers!
  • FlabToFitty
    Options

So I'd infer from these two points that you're not losing as fast as you think you should be?

Notwithstanding the points above if you're thinking of increasing your time that suggests to me that you see that as a way to burn more calories? I'd suggest that your problem is more that you're significantly overestimating your calorie expenditure during the 90 minutes you currently do.

What sort of cario do you do, and what makes you think you're burning 1000calories during the 90 minutes of that?

The machines I use tell me how many calories I've worked off
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options

And they tend to grossly overestimate.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I wouldn't rely on the machines estimates of your expenditure....what are you doing during your workouts? (Personally I'd have to run, non-stop, for about 80 minutes @ 6mph to burn 1000 calories)

• carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    1 hour is more than plenty. What does your diet look like, though? I'd be more concerned about that at this point, really.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

It's likely to be a significant overestimation. Thats 10 miles of running for me.
  • FlabToFitty
    Options

I wouldn't rely on the machines estimates of your expenditure....what are you doing during your workouts? (Personally I'd have to run, non-stop, for about 80 minutes @ 6mph to burn 1000 calories)

It's likely to be a significant overestimation. Thats 10 miles of running for me.

Okay thanks so then how else will I measure how many calories I burn?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It's a crap shoot. Eat back 50 to 75%. and track your weight closely. Adjust up or down your calorie burn intake.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    You should only do 2 hours of cardio if it helps you meet a goal. Otherwise, it's optional, as is all exercise if your only goals are weight loss.

As for calculating any realistic calorie burn, compare the machines to known MET values, accepted formulas, or other metrics. Machines vary quite a bit, some are accurate, some are not. Whether or not 600 calories per hour is even close depends on your weight and your output.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options

I never had a problems with machines in the early stages. Even now I can get away with elliptical/treadmill/indoor cycling burns that use my weight/age as input. What you need to rely on is your average weight loss rate, Going up to 2 hours a day if you dont plan on doing that forever is not a good thing. look at your results and identify if the exercise estimates are off, or your eating estimates are off.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit=weight loss
    You could do cardio 5 hours a day, but unless you eat less calories than you burn, you will not lose weight, and if you eat more calories than you burn, you will gain weight.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Do your cardio after strength training. You'll get the most out of your strength training session. At least that's what I've found to be true, perhaps it's broscience nowadays. (Glycogen stores being depleted, etc.)

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

You could start by answering my earlier question about what your workouts consist of.

If, for example, you were walking on a treadmill without a significant incline and under 5 mph you could use Runner Worlds formula of .30 x weight (in lbs) x distance (in miles) to get a reasonable estimate.

I'm not a fan or heart rate monitors as many of them overestimate too (many of them assume that there's a linear relationship between heart rate an caloric expenditure)