2»

Replies

• Nalgh94
    Nalgh94 Posts: 181 Member
    Nalgh94 wrote: »
    synacious wrote: »
    Hey
    So I've tried the military diet before and yes everyone we all know it makes perfect sense to log in calories etc but sometimes you feel like you need an extra push and there's nothing wrong inquiring about something you've seen. Anyways, the whole lose 10lbs in 3 days is both unrealistic and does not apply to this diet whatsoever. The most I've lost was 5 lbs and like any other "quick fix" you do gain it back if you go back to old eating habits. I stopped any set diets but every now and then when I hate a plateau I would try something to get me over a hump but nothing over 3 days whether it's a detox, fruit or any kind of fad diet.

Hope this helps.

I think the reason why some people, including myself, are being so direct about it is because we are familiar with the OP. Not even 24 hours ago, he made a post about how low-carb didn't work for him and he wants to find a solution. People mentioned counting calories, as it is a huge part of what MFP is about. Now he's posting about another quick-fix diet. It gets a bit frustrating to see after a while. If he'd just actually eat at a deficit and give accurate logging a chance, he'd see results. Period.

I've seen so many direct responses that have scared me personally from posting any questions, maybe there's some history that I wasn't aware of; I just felt it was a legitimate question as I've been frustrated various times with plateaus even though I stick to calorie counting instead of fad diets now.

Many people appreciate hearing the truth. I'd rather be told directly from someone who looked like they knew what they were talking about than given blind support from a faceless cheerleader.

I know that approach doesn't work for everyone, but it does for many on these forums.

eh, maybe I just have a different opinion of the way advice should be given. Because at the end of the day we're all trying to accomplish the same goal which is getting healthy
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Hey
    So I've tried the military diet before and yes everyone we all know it makes perfect sense to log in calories etc but sometimes you feel like you need an extra push and there's nothing wrong inquiring about something you've seen. Anyways, the whole lose 10lbs in 3 days is both unrealistic and does not apply to this diet whatsoever. The most I've lost was 5 lbs and like any other "quick fix" you do gain it back if you go back to old eating habits. I stopped any set diets but every now and then when I hate a plateau I would try something to get me over a hump but nothing over 3 days whether it's a detox, fruit or any kind of fad diet.

Hope this helps.

I think the reason why some people, including myself, are being so direct about it is because we are familiar with the OP. Not even 24 hours ago, he made a post about how low-carb didn't work for him and he wants to find a solution. People mentioned counting calories, as it is a huge part of what MFP is about. Now he's posting about another quick-fix diet. It gets a bit frustrating to see after a while. If he'd just actually eat at a deficit and give accurate logging a chance, he'd see results. Period.

I've seen so many direct responses that have scared me personally from posting any questions, maybe there's some history that I wasn't aware of; I just felt it was a legitimate question as I've been frustrated various times with plateaus even though I stick to calorie counting instead of fad diets now.

Which responses scare you?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Hey

Hope this helps.

Many people appreciate hearing the truth. I'd rather be told directly from someone who looked like they knew what they were talking about than given blind support from a faceless cheerleader.

I know that approach doesn't work for everyone, but it does for many on these forums.

eh, maybe I just have a different opinion of the way advice should be given. Because at the end of the day we're all trying to accomplish the same goal which is getting healthy

The 3-day military diet is no way to get healthy.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Hey

Hope this helps.

Tone is hard to convey, read everything with a Donald Duck voice. All is good.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Hey

Hope this helps.

What is the alternative?
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Kaelan1995 wrote: »
    Well the pros seem to be that you lose 10 pounds in 3 days without gaining the weight back. The website says that if you eat 1,500 calories a day after the diet, then you will keep the weight off. The main "con" for me is that i'm afraid i will get so hungry that i will eat more than i'm supposed to and gain the weight back. Because my fitness pal recommends around 2,600 calories for me a day and eating 1100 calories less than that probably won't be good for me in the long run. But then again, I've heard that my fitness pal recommends more calories than you're supposed to have a day. And if you read my last post, then you will see that my weight is at a stand still. So i am trying to switch it up and find something that really works for ME.
    Well the pros seem to be that you lose 10 pounds in 3 days without gaining the weight back. The website says that if you eat 1,500 calories a day after the diet, then you will keep the weight off. The main "con" for me is that i'm afraid i will get so hungry that i will eat more than i'm supposed to and gain the weight back. Because my fitness pal recommends around 2,600 calories for me a day and eating 1100 calories less than that probably won't be good for me in the long run. But then again, I've heard that my fitness pal recommends more calories than you're supposed to have a day. And if you read my last post, then you will see that my weight is at a stand still. So i am trying to switch it up and find something that really works for ME.

I don't think you can really say your weight is at a standstill when you haven't been logging. That's like people saying they're at a "plateau" after a week or two of "not losing," yet they aren't consistently and accurately logging and keep changing things week to week.

Also, I haven't heard people say MFP recommends more calories than one's supposed to have. What I have seen, time and time again, are people who do not log accurately, who eat back some or all of their exercise calories, and then say they're not losing and they can't with MFP's numbers. But it's their logging that's actually the issue. And, exercise calorie estimations tend to be exaggerated for most people, so it is suggested to start with 50-75% to see how accurate they are for you.

Log your food. Do that for 4-6 weeks. Reevaluate.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited March 2016
    Hey

Hope this helps.

I can appreciate that. However, what scares me more is that losing "10 pounds in three days" on a diet of tiny amounts of things like coffee, fruit, peanut butter, hot dogs, cheese, canned tuna, saltine crackers, and ice cream is more appealing and seems more attainable than a modest calorie deficit while eating whatever food you want to eat. It scares me that people think such a diet will cause a 10 pound loss or a 35,000 calorie deficit in three days. It scares me that a person is posting to ask about it when they have a whole forum of knowledgeable people who've posted wonderful stickied threads that are quite useful. It also scares me that this particular individual seems to be ignoring all the thoughtful advice he's been given for yet another quick fix. I have family members that, despite seeing me successful, still want the quick fixes and don't trust in the calorie deficit.

I know that I'm very straightforward in my responses to people. I try to be as tactful as possible in my responses, but I am the same way in real life. I am extremely blunt and to the point. I truly do want to help people, but sometimes that takes tough love. Sometimes it takes a "Yes, you are a complete idiot for wanting to starve yourself to lose weight" type of attitude. Because what I dislike is seeing the same people fail time and time again, but never learning from their mistakes. What I dislike even more are the people who are resistant to all advice that actually works because it makes you wonder if they really want this or if they just want more excuses to fall back on. I'm not saying that this is the case regarding the OP, but after seeing it time and time again you just get a little jaded about it.
  • Kaelan1995
    Kaelan1995 Posts: 20 Member
    @Nalgh94 I don't really mind hearing the truth, but like someone said "tone is hard to convey". Sometimes it is hard to tell if someone is just being honest and really trying to help you, or just being rude. There is a fine line. Not saying anyone on here was rude to me at all, but i would like for certain people to give me a more detailed answer instead of saying something short and snappy. Okay, fine, i shouldn't try the military diet.. but tell me why instead of just giving me a short answer that doesn't deter me away from it. Some people did that, so thank you. I have been posting a lot because i REALLY want this weight off.. and i have tried so many times but they never worked out for me. I want this time to be different, so i am just weighing my options on what to do.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    @Nalgh94 I don't really mind hearing the truth, but like someone said "tone is hard to convey". Sometimes it is hard to tell if someone is just being honest and really trying to help you, or just being rude. There is a fine line. Not saying anyone on here was rude to me at all, but i would like for certain people to give me a more detailed answer instead of saying something short and snappy. Okay, fine, i shouldn't try the military diet.. but tell me why instead of just giving me a short answer that doesn't deter me away from it. Some people did that, so thank you. I have been posting a lot because i REALLY want this weight off.. and i have tried so many times but they never worked out for me. I want this time to be different, so i am just weighing my options on what to do.

You could try just reading everything as if it's being said in a calm, even tone and not read intent into people's posts at all. Just take them at face value. It's much easier.
  • Kaelan1995
    @synacious Definitely not the case with me. I am welcome to any and all advice someone wants to give me. Why do you think i have been posting on here? If i wanted an excuse to stop, i would just stop. Definitely wouldn't seek some kind of excuse like "Oh, nothing is working for me so i might as well just give up". No, i would just binge and eat whatever i felt like eating. I'm posting because i WANT advice from all of you on how to better myself. I know you didn't say that directly about me, just thought i would let you know that i am not one of those people.
  • mrsloganlife
    mrsloganlife Posts: 158 Member
    edited March 2016
    Why shouldn't you do the military diet?

I am answering your question with a question...how did you get to 407 pounds (based off your last thread)? Did it happen in a 3 day period? No. Did the last 10 pounds of weight gain come in a 3 day period? Nope. Why then would 10 pounds slide right off in 3 days?

Weight loss is a journey. If there was a 3 day diet that would shed pounds, then MFP would cease to exist. As multiple, more knowledgeable users have pointed out, you will lose weight, but it will be water weight and it will come back. Looking at the military diet regimen, these are not foods that will sustain any weight loss. You are crashing your body and doing more harm than good.

In your other thread you admitted to not logging. Log. EVERYTHING. I mean everything that goes into your mouth. Weigh. EVERYTHING. I used to guesstimate how much something weighed and realized that I was incredibly off and actually eating on average 400 calories more a day.

Browse these forums--some people have posted some great links and there is some good information. Listen to people who respond, because they have been there and they have been successful. Who wouldn't want to listen to those who have been in our shoes and succeeded?

As I stated above, for all of us, our weight gains did not happen in a short period, so any fad diet claiming you will lose x amount of weight in a short period of time is not a sustainable diet. You will end right back up on the boards asking what to do.

I have been in your shoes. I have tried fad diets (never the military diet), and was never successful. I have tried MFP and gave up after a few months. I'm back on for the third time, logging everything and weighing everything I can weigh. I just got done breaking out the skinny pop and almonds I got into 1 oz bags so I can grab and go. I finally got it through my thick head that it took years for this extra 100 pounds of weight to come on board, and it is going to take time as well as adjusting bad habits for it to come off. Weight loss is not instant.

This is going to be a rough journey. You will have weeks where the weight is sliding off and you are like "I am the king of weight loss" and then you will have weeks where nothing is happening and you are like "this blows". There is no easy way out with weight loss. However, log and weigh consistently and you will find it gets easier.

Be patient. Your weight loss will come. Don't trust any diet that says you will lose weight in a short period of time if you follow their fad. It doesn't work and you will be right back at the starting line.

EDIT: I should clarify the rough journey part. It is rough, but boy can it be fun! You will discover things about yourself, your confidence will go through the roof. I am 24 pounds down, and I have a text between my husband and my mom that I look at often. He texted my mom "I am amazed at her confidence, it's like she is finally discovering the person she is." And he hit the nail on the head. This will be tough, but it is going to be a lot of fun :)
  • Kaelan1995

I am answering your question with a question...how did you get to 407 pounds (based off your last thread)? Did it happen in a 3 day period? No. Did the last 10 pounds of weight gain come in a 3 day period? Nope. Why then would 10 pounds slide right off in 3 days?

Weight loss is a journey. If there was a 3 day diet that would shed pounds, then MFP would cease to exist. As multiple, more knowledgeable users have pointed out, you will lose weight, but it will be water weight and it will come back. Looking at the military diet regimen, these are not foods that will sustain any weight loss. You are crashing your body and doing more harm than good.

In your other thread you admitted to not logging. Log. EVERYTHING. I mean everything that goes into your mouth. Weigh. EVERYTHING. I used to guesstimate how much something weighed and realized that I was incredibly off and actually eating on average 400 calories more a day.

Browse these forums--some people have posted some great links and there is some good information. Listen to people who respond, because they have been there and they have been successful. Who wouldn't want to listen to those who have been in our shoes and succeeded?

As I stated above, for all of us, our weight gains did not happen in a short period, so any fad diet claiming you will lose x amount of weight in a short period of time is not a sustainable diet. You will end right back up on the boards asking what to do.

I have been in your shoes. I have tried fad diets (never the military diet), and was never successful. I have tried MFP and gave up after a few months. I'm back on for the third time, logging everything and weighing everything I can weigh. I just got done breaking out the skinny pop and almonds I got into 1 oz bags so I can grab and go. I finally got it through my thick head that it took years for this extra 100 pounds of weight to come on board, and it is going to take time as well as adjusting bad habits for it to come off. Weight loss is not instant.

This is going to be a rough journey. You will have weeks where the weight is sliding off and you are like "I am the king of weight loss" and then you will have weeks where nothing is happening and you are like "this blows". There is no easy way out with weight loss. However, log and weigh consistently and you will find it gets easier.

Be patient. Your weight loss will come. Don't trust any diet that says you will lose weight in a short period of time if you follow their fad. It doesn't work and you will be right back at the starting line.

EDIT: I should clarify the rough journey part. It is rough, but boy can it be fun! You will discover things about yourself, your confidence will go through the roof. I am 24 pounds down, and I have a text between my husband and my mom that I look at often. He texted my mom "I am amazed at her confidence, it's like she is finally discovering the person she is." And he hit the nail on the head. This will be tough, but it is going to be a lot of fun :)

Wow. Thank you for your answer and for breaking it down for me. I understand it now. Everyone always says "I wish it was as easy to lose weight as it is to gain". And it might feel like that, especially for me, but looking at the bigger picture it took a LONG time to gain this much weight. It would be nice for the weight to come off overnight, but i realize that's not how it works. I actually got up to 436 pounds and dropped 29 pounds in 2 months from counting my carbs, but this is my first time counting calories.. and as you read, i am having a rough time with it. But i will keep working and log everyday.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member

Wow. Thank you for your answer and for breaking it down for me. I understand it now. Everyone always says "I wish it was as easy to lose weight as it is to gain". And it might feel like that, especially for me, but looking at the bigger picture it took a LONG time to gain this much weight. It would be nice for the weight to come off overnight, but i realize that's not how it works. I actually got up to 436 pounds and dropped 29 pounds in 2 months from counting my carbs, but this is my first time counting calories.. and as you read, i am having a rough time with it. But i will keep working and log everyday.

Yes. Keep working and log everyday. You can lose the weight. :)

• Nalgh94
    Nalgh94 Posts: 181 Member
    Hey

Hope this helps.

What is the alternative?

just be more respectful in responses, in general
  • Kaelan1995
    @Nalgh94 I completely agree with you.