huel

has anyone heard of this before? its a food replacement and i started my sample today.
hoping this will aid my weight loss!!

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I haven't, I wouldn't want to replace my food though.

Food tastes too nice :)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Powdered food?

No thanks.

Aside from that, per Huel's website, A week's supply of Huel contains 14,000 calories, 7 days at 2,000 calories per day.

What if your maintenance calories are less than 2,000 calories? You won't be losing weight on that, that's for sure. I really wouldn't consider Huel an aid to weight loss, at all.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    The issue I see with any plan that provides packaged, portioned meals without any thought having to go into it is that you don't learn anything about how to deal with food.

Once you lose weight on such a plan and go back to eating regular food, you're still faced with the idea of needing to learn to balance your body's energy needs with your food consumption.

Why not just do that in the first place and save yourself some money?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Huel rhymes with gruel. I'll pass.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Huel rhymes with gruel. I'll pass.

Exactly!

OP, why would you replace real food? The only requirement for weight loss is to eat less calories than you burn, no speical powdered foods necessary.
    The issue I see with any plan that provides packaged, portioned meals without any thought having to go into it is that you don't learn anything about how to deal with food.

Once you lose weight on such a plan and go back to eating regular food, you're still faced with the idea of needing to learn to balance your body's energy needs with your food consumption.

Why not just do that in the first place and save yourself some money?

And this.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Should be easy to log. Is there a MFP entry?
  • pwnowakowska
    pwnowakowska Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2016
    has anyone heard of this before? its a food replacement and i started my sample today.
    hoping this will aid my weight loss!!

I use Huel for few weeks now, as an addition to my vegetarian diet and I think it works pretty well. I am vegetarian for 16 years now, and I started to gain weight 3 years ago due to my thyroid problems, so I put myself on diet recently. I limited diary food to minimum and started to use Huel, and slowly by slowly I finally started to loose some weight :)
  • pwnowakowska
    pwnowakowska Posts: 2 Member

Ninkyou wrote: »
    Powdered food?

No thanks.

Aside from that, per Huel's website, A week's supply of Huel contains 14,000 calories, 7 days at 2,000 calories per day.

What if your maintenance calories are less than 2,000 calories? You won't be losing weight on that, that's for sure. I really wouldn't consider Huel an aid to weight loss, at all.

~40g is ~160cal so you can easily create shake with any amount of calories you like. I use huel for few weeks now, as addition to my vegetarian diet, as for me was difficult to find all the proteins, nutriens etc in veggies especialy after I minimalise diary products as they consist lots of fats.

I consider being vegetarian not a diet but lifestyle (I am vegetarian for 16 years), and huel is now part of this lifestyle. Since I develop thyroid problems few years ago I am a bit overweight now and to come back to my regular weight and maintain it, I need to count calories, sugars and fats every day and huel is making this job much easier.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    I use Huel as a meal replacement - I travel a lot with work and can't guarantee that I will be able to find something healthy, nutritious and vegan where I am going. I can precisely control how many calories I'm getting from the Huel, knowing that I'm also getting a balanced meal.
    It's also pretty filling.

One thing I do is add extras when I'm making the smoothie - a banana, an orange, some blueberries. Something like that. I find the plain vanilla huel a bit unappetising and a little too sweet. I just add whatever I've added into my log.
  • mertyross
    mertyross Posts: 10 Member
    I like Huel. Easy to work out your daily intake.