Who else just walks as exercise?

Options
I use the Pacer app (can't afford a Fitbit just yet!) to track steps and if I run, so I get in 20k steps a day from usual activity or runs/walks, setting my activity level as sedentary and using negative calorie adjustment. I would just like to know if anyone else in maintenance just walks and eats back all their calories burned from walking? I burn around 470-490 calories from it, giving me about 2k cals/day, just wanna know if it seems just about right with my amount of steps? I'm 19, 5'4 and 102-104lbs.

Replies

• jordan_lowe1999
    jordan_lowe1999 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    that seems great keep up the hard work!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Running is my ultimate exercise love, but arthritis in my back prevents it most of the time so I mostly just walk. I shoot for 30-60 minutes a day of walking for the purpose of exercise, as well as in daily life doing things like parking far from store entrances and walking in. However due to pain I tend to max out around 7500 steps/day (probably 4 out of 7 days in a given week) - and still I maintain on about 2100 calories a day.

Edit to add: I am 38yo, 5'8" tall, and maintaining in the 140-145 range.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Well I can give you my feed back per Fitbit (and its accurate for me) :smile: , I'm older (46) 5ft 2 / maintaining 130lbs and for 20k steps my TDEE is 2300 so the burn is the difference between my BMR 1390 and 2300 (910 cals) You are a good bit lighter so I reckon 2000 is probably slightly under what you really are.

You'll know yourself if you've upped your calories and yet are still losing weight - it takes a little time to figure out actual TDEE.
  • Kate4050Kate
    Kate4050Kate Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm starting my diet again, but when I was on it, I was only walking, or hiking. About 2 hours/per day, and about 4 hours on the weekends. But I don't count anything. Not my steps, not my calories.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    That's pretty much me. I walk or ride a bike. I love walking, we live out in the country so I walk around the woods with the dogs a lot.

I'm 31, 5'4 and maintaining 120 - 125 lbs.
  • RuthanneBowers
    RuthanneBowers Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I mostly walk. I would like to run/jog but I get shin splints so I don't. I also just bought a bike on Saturday so I am hoping to incorporate that into my cardio.
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I usually feel a bit self conscious when I read up about how people lift or swim or do yoga on here! I love walking and love to commute around the city and since I usually am too busy working or attending events, I don't have the time or energy to workout as much. That and I guess I feel like walking/running is more for me rather than other sports or exercise. I may start biking soon, if only my dad would help me fix the tires of my ol mountain bike! :p
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Me! I LOVE walking. In the summer my daughter and I walk for about an hour to 1.5 hours a night talking and just enjoying summer :)
    I'm not sporty at all, neither is she.. it's a great way to bond and enjoy the outdoors
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I just walk to be mobile and do not track it because it is not a factor that I compute but do at least 1/4 mile daily. Due to the arthritis walking was very painful until I got my pain well managed by diet only. Few people get injured by walking. :)
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Me - the only consistent exercise I'm getting at the moment is walking every day and running 2-3 times a week. Averaging 18-20,000 steps. I'm still losing with 10-15lbs to go, but in no rush. TDEE is around 2100, currently I'm eating around 1850 on average. I'm 44, 135.5, 5'3"
  • paradi3s
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! :) Just realized how addicting walking can get too! Now I'm more motivated with Oacer and love moving around haha
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    until I get some more weight off this frame it will be walking (then running) I average 12,000 steps a day, I used to not be able to walk from the front of a store to the back without a cart to lean on and even then my back would be screaming. I walk everyday at lunch with co workers for 1.75 miles with zero pain....LOVE the walk. oh I got 25,000 steps in one day the other day my new PR....Fitbit said 12 miles!
  • liftzilla16
    liftzilla16 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I walk around 8 hours a day at work, on average results in about 10k steps a day. Usually saves me the trouble of having to go out of my way to walk or run later :p
  • freechewy
    freechewy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I walk three days a week and use my iPhone for counting my steps. I also Spin and use an elliptical. I love running but 30 years of it has taken it's toll on my body. I need to lose 18 pounds so I may have to step up a little bit and jog on a treadmill. I love walking! :smiley:
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Rdsgoal16 wrote: »
    until I get some more weight off this frame it will be walking (then running) I average 12,000 steps a day, I used to not be able to walk from the front of a store to the back without a cart to lean on and even then my back would be screaming. I walk everyday at lunch with co workers for 1.75 miles with zero pain....LOVE the walk. oh I got 25,000 steps in one day the other day my new PR....Fitbit said 12 miles!

Awesome improvement. I remember requiring a cart to lean on two years ago.
  • paradi3s
    Options
    I also remember not being able to reach 500 steps, what more a 5-10k! It was a miracle if I could reach 8k. Haha :)
  • shannie018
    shannie018 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Right now, I am just walking for exercise. Once the weather turns nicer and we get the trampoline put up, I would like to start using that.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I've done that successfully for four years.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    If I walked 10-20k steps I would never workout haha. That is like equivalent to being sedentary and working out for like an hour burning 500-700 calories!
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I walk 10k-18k steps nearly everyday I don't seem to lose much I'm only eatng 1300-1400 calories a day aged 46 and 214lbs :(