Intermittent Fasting

Options
13»

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I've had a lot of success with IF in the past. I semi-break fast in the AM when I have my coffee with milk, but if I'm being superstrict, I'll have bulletproof coffee instead. I do an 18:6 fast generally eating 2 meals between 12noon and 6pm. I am not hungry in the evenings, and was actually super full after dinner last night which was just 7oz of roast beef and some spinach. It's 11am here and today all I've had is coffee w/ milk and I'm not hungry at all, and I'll probably eat my first meal of the day at 12:30. I love breakfast foods, but I've never been one to want to eat first thing in the morning, so IF tends to work very well for me. I also like to eat big meals, food is very visual for me, so eating just twice a day allows me to eat bigger meals while still staying within my calorie goals.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I didn't like it. It didn't work well for me. I could be not hungry during my eight hours on and then starving during the 16 off. Psychological, I know but this is tough enough to do without adding to it. The biggest take-a-way I have during this weight loss journey is that something different works for everyone. There is science behind the CICO method but at the same time (contrary to what I've seen on these posts) we are all special little butterflies. Some process carbs easier than others, some have hormone imbalances, some have digestive issues, the weight seems to just roll off other people. Figure out what works for you and do it. I'm glad the OP found something that works for him.
  • Lenny6201996
    Lenny6201996 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been really looking into this type of lifestyle! It would work great with my schedule! and it might even help me a lot with my diet because I have been labeled at work as a "snacker"! lol
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't do well on time-restricted IF. I eat when hungry. Sometimes it's right when I open my eyes in the morning, other times my first meal is well into the evening. If I don't eat my first meal when at a certain hunger point (which I can accurately pinpoint), I get into this ravenous state where no matter how much I eat I don't feel sated, let alone full, so I could basically be extremely hungry on calories that exceed my maintenance. Probably has to do with hormones or blood sugar because I was continuously in this state when I tried keto no matter what or how much I consumed.

What worked for me is the kind of IF where you restrict one day and don't the next. I'm not limited by meal timing, so I get to eat my first and biggest meal before I reach the point of no return be it a normal day or a fast day.
  • Blubberbuster1
    Blubberbuster1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've had a lot of success with IF in the past. I semi-break fast in the AM when I have my coffee with milk, but if I'm being superstrict, I'll have bulletproof coffee instead. I do an 18:6 fast generally eating 2 meals between 12noon and 6pm. I am not hungry in the evenings, and was actually super full after dinner last night which was just 7oz of roast beef and some spinach. It's 11am here and today all I've had is coffee w/ milk and I'm not hungry at all, and I'll probably eat my first meal of the day at 12:30. I love breakfast foods, but I've never been one to want to eat first thing in the morning, so IF tends to work very well for me. I also like to eat big meals, food is very visual for me, so eating just twice a day allows me to eat bigger meals while still staying within my calorie goals.

I have some pretty out of this world will power.. another reason why IF is good for me. I adjust to pretty much 22:2 in half a week of starting 16:8 I can go to the extreme without cracking.
    How do you find the bulletproof coffee? I haven't read in depth about so I don't know too much about it.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    mawill08 wrote: »

I have some pretty out of this world will power.. another reason why IF is good for me. I adjust to pretty much 22:2 in half a week of starting 16:8 I can go to the extreme without cracking.
    How do you find the bulletproof coffee? I haven't read in depth about so I don't know too much about it.

For me it isn't even about willpower, I often just am not hungry. I am just starting to get hungry now and haven't eaten since 6pm last night.

I like the bulletproof coffee, it's actually pretty tasty. I don't bother with the separate MCT's as I feel as though I get enough from my coconut oil. I use my own homemade butter which is delicious on it's own, but in my coffee makes it super smooth and creamy.

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    While I am a fan of IF, and generally follow the 16:8 protocol, there's some "interesting" logic in this thread. I don't log and have been in maintenance for quite some time.

I also suggest anyone considering it to read up on all the different kinds. Honestly for straight up weight loss, I think the 5:2 is hard to beat.
  • Lowerklass1
    Lowerklass1 Posts: 19 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    IF is a great lifestyle. I love it. However, if I'm training I make sure I have BCAA's around 20mins before to prevent muscle breakdown (which can often happen training fasted). I have to admit I sometimes have a protein shake before training (which technically breaks the fast), but I've recently did some research and reading and concluded that it's really important to have at least 30g of protein and carbs around 20-30mins before training and within 20-30mins after training. I just love my chocolate protein shake. If I'm not training I'll just fast until 2pm, no shake, or BCAA's.
  • canadianmom1975
    canadianmom1975 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For IF yo work for losing weight you still need a calorie deficit...whether your eating window is 8 hours or 2 hours you need to eat all your cals to be healthy...my cals to lose weight is 1740 so i need to eat that much every day to lose weight...IF is just tool to help you feel full..plus it has some great health benefits