Tuna without mayo

Options
SpleenThief
SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
I've tried with avocado. I've tried with hummus. A bit of lemon and olive oil? Yep. They're not bad but they're not exactly good, either. What are your favorite recipes for canned tuna without mayo?

Replies

• rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Unless you just hate mayo, use mayo. I just use less of it than I used to would have. Lite mayo is the devil, too. 1/2 serving of mayo is around 50 cals- I add that, mustard, and dill relish, and boiled eggs if I have them. DELISH.
  • oldsoul918
    oldsoul918 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I mix one can of very well-drained (this is key!) tuna with an egg, 1 tsp of sriracha seasoning and 1 tsp of dried dill weed. I let the flavors gel for about an hour (not sure if that's really a thing or if it's all in my head :) ) then I form 2 patties and cook them over medium heat. Sometimes I top them with a bit of greek yogurt and relish eat them on a sandwich thin and sometimes I just eat them plain. I only eat one per meal...the other warms up great for lunch the next day. They're just over 100 calories each (for the patty only) because I don't use oil or cooking spray in the pan at all.
  • TerriK14
    TerriK14 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I like mine with spicy brown mustard. I eat it inside romaine lettuce leaves. It is not for everyone but it is worth a try.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Lawry's lemon pepper marinade.
  • knittogetfit
    knittogetfit Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    When you do lemon juice and olive oil do you add anything else? If not, you might want to try this. I half the olive oil, it's still awesome. Let it sit overnight so the flavors meld. It's great on bread, but we use leftovers to top salads.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for that creaminess use cottage cheese or laughing cow cheese (mash it to cream it before adding tuna). I also add various chopped veg like onion, peppers - sweet or hot, cucumber, fresh spinach, pickles, etc. Add in some herbs.

Or use the flavored packets of tuna. Some are hideously gross like ranch :s but some are quite good.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Real men drink coffee black and eat tuna plain.
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »
    Unless you just hate mayo, use mayo. I just use less of it than I used to would have. Lite mayo is the devil, too. 1/2 serving of mayo is around 50 cals- I add that, mustard, and dill relish, and boiled eggs if I have them. DELISH.

This. The only substitute for mayo-based dishes is homemade mayo.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I second the laughing cow cheese in tuna!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Italian dressing works well.
  • ndraughn
    ndraughn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    has anybody tried plain yogurt?? I have not but was wondering. I love mayo personally so I just use less
  • DeviatedNorm
    DeviatedNorm Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    @ndraughn I really like tuna with yogurt. I'll often mix in a little lime juice, garlic powder and chili flakes as well. Quite the tasty dish!
  • goofyrick24
    goofyrick24 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I use plain Greek yogurt ..just like mayo... only a lot better looking on my log..
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I generally use a mix of mayo, olive oil and mustard. But reduced fat sour cream works pretty well.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I use mayo. It fits in my calories, fats, and makes the food taste good. No need to cut it out if you plan your calories.
  • Kristin2626
    Kristin2626 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I mix canned tuna in my mac and cheese -- definitely not lower in calories! I have also added it to pasta with arrabiata sauce.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I use use a bit of horseradish sauce so it isn't so dry. I also add jalapeno and relish with a bit of salt and pepper. I will eat it plain or on melba toast or in lettuce leaves.
  • nutritionK
    nutritionK Posts: 12 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I've tried them all too. Cause I don't like mayonnaise and of course I like to keep my food as healthy as I can. My favorite of them all is with plain yogurt and avocado and add some flaxseeds. That way you create a very complete meal loaded in fiber, good fats and protein the key to keep you satisfied longer and your sugar levels steady avoiding cravings.

[Edited by MFP Mods]
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I've always had tuna without mayo, and only learned people use mayo with it on the internet. Tuna, olive oil, capers, a diced tomato, a diced dill pickle, lemon juice, a pressed clove of garlic, dill weed and viola. If you like mayo you can make mock mayo with greek yogurt and vinegar. Not the real thing, but acceptable in a calorie pinch.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Russian or Thousand Island is nice, too.