Hi I been trying to lose 20 lbs and I actually gained 10 lbs need motivation

Options
I been trying to go down to 145, Im 170, had a baby 1 year ago and gain 25 lbs after that it's been harder for me to lose weight I still eat.like if I was pregnant. Need people to motivate me pleasee

Replies

• robin_herbert
    robin_herbert Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Add 2 pieces of fruit to any 2 meals of the day. It's been working for me ☺ You can do it
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,202 Member
    Options
    Enter your info into MFP, select your weightloss goal/week (i.e. 1 lb/week), stay under the amount of calories MFP gives you.

And stick with it.
  • alainna2012
    alainna2012 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    thank you, I will try the fruit and to stay under It's so hard. I'm a very anxious person so when I'm stress or sad I start eating.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Enter your info into MFP, select your weightloss goal/week (i.e. 1 lb/week), stay under the amount of calories MFP gives you.

And stick with it.

THIS. Do you weigh and measure everything you eat, or are you just estimating?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Add 2 pieces of fruit to any 2 meals of the day. It's been working for me ☺ You can do it

This is really weird advice. And totally irrelevant.
  • alainna2012
    Options
    I don't measure anything, but today I just started doing it.
  • mellyo77
    mellyo77 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

This is terrible advice, fruit is extremely high in sugar all be it natural not conducive to weight loss. I eat one piece of fruit in the morning, that's it. Enter all your info into MFP then make sure to weight and enter all of your food, to ensure you are getting a) the right portion size b) eating enough calories.
  • alainna2012
    Options
    Thank you, I do eat like 8 tortillas a day and a lot of bread
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

At 8 tortillas a day plus "a lot" of bread, my guess is that you're eating more calories than you need to. Are you entering your food correctly?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If I had 2 fruits per meal I would be gaining. Bad advice. Fruit is very high on sugar. I only can afford once, twice a day. Well unless you only eat the fruit and nothing else, but this would be unhealthy.

If you start tracking every day the motivation will come on its own :)

You need to measure and enter everything though for it to work.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    eating fruit is not going to cause weight gain unless its putting you into a caloric surplus. the sugar has nothing to do with it.you gain weight in a surplus and lose weight in a deficit no matter what you eat. you only avoid sugar IF you have a health issue,to where you need to cut down on sugar/carbs.8 tortillas a day alone could be anywhere from 900-1600 calories per day.depending on the calorie count. not all tortillas are the same. follow machka's advice. also you dont eat under what MFP gives you. you eat that amount. are you going to eat that many calories every day? maybe maybe not. once in awhile being under is fine but never go below 1200 net calories unless under the supervision of a Dr.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @CharlieBeansmomTracey The person who mentioned the fruit advised the OP just to "add 2 pieces of fruit to 2 meals" and she can start losing. So that is what we all have been trying to say is wrong. It is clear fruit on its own can't make you fat.
    Sugar has something to do of course. I had a mango today (a whole one) and it was 200 cals and all of my sugar allowance for the day (48 grams). High on sugar foods (even fructose) are also high on calorie.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    @CharlieBeansmomTracey The person who mentioned the fruit advised the OP just to "add 2 pieces of fruit to 2 meals" and she can start losing. So that is what we all have been trying to say is wrong. It is clear fruit on its own can't make you fat.
    Sugar has something to do of course. I had a mango today (a whole one) and it was 200 cals and all of my sugar allowance for the day (48 grams). High on sugar foods (even fructose) are also high on calorie.

you dont have to worry about going over on sugar though unless you have a health issue.what does sugar have to do? the adding 2 pieces of fruit a day does not mean she will start losing,if she is eating a lot of calories in breads and tortillas she may be eating more and she isnt in a deficit if she is gaining weight,fruit is not going to help her lose either way. she needs to be in a caloric deficit for that. and actually there are low sugar high calorie fruits and vice versa.
  • tnm7760
    tnm7760 Posts: 109 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If I ate that many calories from carbs I'd be really hungry all the time (assuming you're not eating just as many calories in protein, because that'd be a lot of food).

Measure/weigh your food, track everything carefully, and if you're hungry or having a hard time staying within your calories, try adding more protein/fat. Carbs aren't necessarily bad, but many people find them less satiating so getting ample protein (and fat) will help. But try different things until you find what works for you because you don't have to be hungry all the time.
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is the way to go for weight loss but you should also try to make some lifestyle changes for a healthier you. Try to cut back on processed foods & sugars & reach for the fruits, veggies, & lean proteins. Drink a glass of water or have a soothing cup of tea before you plan to eat & wait 5 mins. Sometimes dehydration is misinterpreted as hunger. & for emotional eating it's nice to have a good habit like this to replace the hurtful habit.
  • stm712015
    stm712015 Posts: 138 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm wondering what you mean by "trying" when you say you've been trying to lose weight. What sort of things have you tried? To gain 10 pounds and say you eat 8 tortillas and lots of bread a day seems like you're not actually trying.

I don't mean to sound harsh. It's just that losing weight takes a certain mindset to be successful. The advice to weigh and measure your food, log it, stay at a caloric deficit and you'll lose is correct. It's all about calories in versus calories out. But, to do this, you have to want to make the changes and stay with it. Motivation must come from within. Think about why you want to lose weight and keep that at the forefront of your mind when you are feeling weak. Treat each day as a new day. If you fall off the band wagon one day, get up the next day and choose better. Come up with strategies that work for you like mini-goals, rewards, pics on your fridge, and workout buddy... do what it takes to maintain your inner motivation.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    thank you, I will try the fruit and to stay under It's so hard. I'm a very anxious person so when I'm stress or sad I start eating.

I used to be an emotional eater but now I manage my stress via exercise.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you getting with all those carbs? When I don't get enough protein, I eat and eat and eat.
    I don't measure anything, but today I just started doing it.
    Maybe come back after a week of logging and ask people to review your diary and make suggestions.

• alainna2012
    Options
    Ok ill explain what my problem is, I don't eat a lot of meat so mostly I eat carbs, but let's say I stay under my 1200 calories eating whatever and working out two or three days a week . Will I lose weight or do I have to be super healthy?
  • alainna2012
    Options
    my boyfriend is a chef and he's always making different types of food and yes mostly not healthy so it's hard for me not to eat a lot, I start working out and eating less but then I go back to eating a lot